Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Servicing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sealed for life means sealed for the Tesla's expected life time of the part, which can be considerably less than your own expectations.

The ZF auto gearbox on my last car was sealed for life and had a expected life from BMW of 100k miles yet the manufacturer recommended an oil change every 80k miles.

Most won't keep a car that long to have to worry about it but generally where fluids are involved, they require replacement at some point.
Yes I get a lot of manufacturers put out the sealed for life BS to sell the cars and have had plenty of ZFs in BMWs and Audis but they are moving components that could get little bits of metal that's a risk to the gearbox, I didn't think that'd be an issue with the battery coolant? Saying that I don't think it'd be that expensive to do if needed?

Yes I get a lot of manufacturers put out the sealed for life BS to sell the cars and have had plenty of ZFs in BMWs and Audis but they are moving components that could get little bits of metal that's a risk to the gearbox, I didn't think that'd be an issue with the battery coolant? Saying that I don't think it'd be that expensive to do if needed?
Time will tell. I just think that the chemical composition of any fluid is going to have a finite lifetime.

I'm not sure how complicated accessing the battery coolant is so not sure about pricing, it's certainly not something I'll be doing myself though, if it turns out that it is required during my ownership.

Reactions: m3gt2