Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell Model 3 for new Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2018 Model 3 Mid-Range. With all the recent enhancements such as the heat pump, better quality, wireless charging, and power trunk, I am tempted to sell my current Model 3 and purchase a 2021 Model 3 (or even a Y). I would be looking at a 2021 Model 3 SR+ or 2021 Model Y SR (local Sales Advisor mentioned two available in the area). What am I missing other forking over another $5k to get a new car? Also, the various Federal bills on the docket has timing issues, but hopefully those are retroactive. And, the Model 3 SR+, I would be losing out on the premium audio (I have it now). I do qualify for the CA State rebate and SCE CA discount.

Reactions: DanCar
I see no reason to sell a 2018 mid range vehicle to buy a 2021 SR+ or SR vehicle. The mileage is going to be similar to the mid range, you would gain a heat pump, and lose the premium audio.

The only way this would make sense to me, is if you sold your current vehicle for a model Y (because you want / need the increased space the hatchback design gives you, and dont care about it handling a bit worse), or a model 3 AWD or Performance, because you want the additional acceleration or all wheel drive.

It doesnt make sense otherwise, to me.

My Sales Advisor mentioned that the two Model Y SR are demo vehicles with 500 miles each. She said that those will need to be sold as used and not new. Is this correct?

That means they are not "demo" vehicles, but were titled to some end user consumer before. A car can have miles and be sold as "NEW" provided it was never titled to anyone. Demo cars generally are not titled to anyone, so are sold as NEW.

What both of those cars likely are, are cars that were sold to someone, then returned for some reason, THEN turned into demo cars for the dealership.

So, if the car has extremely low miles like that, but is being sold as used, you can guarantee that it was titled to someone (meaning sold to someone) then returned.

Next time lease

Why? So you can be restricted in how long you own the car, what you can do it, how many miles you can drive, and what happens to it after the lease period?

Leasing very often doesn't work out to save any money over buying and private selling, so why torture yourself with all the restrictions? If you want a new car, you can sell your purchased car anytime you want and get that new car. Can't easily do that with a lease.

Probably not worth it if it was my money (going from 3 to 3). And this is coming from someone who went from a 2020 SR to a 2021 SR+.

I’m happy with my decision. I wanted more range, white interior and the heat pump. The console refresh and power lift gate were a bonus.

While they’re nice, $5K for the heat pump and lift gate is really steep. Add onto that the fact you’re giving up something (premium sound) and.....eh? Also, I wouldn’t count on the tax credits to be retroactive.

If parting ways with $5K won’t kill you and you really just want a newer car with a more efficient climate system and power trunk, it’s not the craziest thing in the world. But I don’t think there’s a way to rationalize that decision, it’s just a splurge.

Reactions: jjrandorin
That means they are not "demo" vehicles, but were titled to some end user consumer before. A car can have miles and be sold as "NEW" provided it was never titled to anyone. Demo cars generally are not titled to anyone, so are sold as NEW.

What both of those cars likely are, are cars that were sold to someone, then returned for some reason, THEN turned into demo cars for the dealership.

So, if the car has extremely low miles like that, but is being sold as used, you can guarantee that it was titled to someone (meaning sold to someone) then returned.
Exactly.

I think the OP should contact the SA that told him this and verify that the cars have actually been titled previously, as SA's are well known for spreading misinformation (to their credit, not intentionally).

So rather than ask the same question again ("are you sure that the cars you're talking about will be sold as "used" cars?"), ask him/her if the cars in question have ever been titled to anyone since the time they were built.

I'd be willing to bet that the answer is "no, they haven't ever been titled." Tesla did away with their 7 day return program long enough ago that any remaining cars turned in under that program should be long gone by now.

Also, Tesla always provides an Odometer Statement showing that their new cars have 50 miles on them. This is a bit disingenuous on their part, but it does make sure that it covers any odd instance of a new car having a few more than the standard amount of miles on them when they're delivered, while eliminating the hassle of actually finding out the true odometer reading on each car (pretty weak sauce on this one, Tesla).

From what I've read, they also have a blanket policy of stating that vehicles used for test drives are always stated to have 500 miles on the odometer when sold, even though they are usually sold before they ever reach that point. So just because a vehicle is shown in their inventory as having 500 miles on it actually means that the car has somewhere between 0 and 500 miles on them. I can totally see a new and/or uneducated Sales Advisor assuming that cars shown in inventory that have 500 miles on the clock are "used" cars, even though they've never actually been titled to anyone.

If it turns out that the cars really have been titled before, then go back and re-read JJ's post. Carefully. :) IMO, before purchasing any car from Tesla that has very low miles on it (say.... 500 ;) ) and has been titled before, you should do a very thorough pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle; don't go buying one of these cars sight unseen.

Arming yourself with those little tidbits might help you make a better decision and understand a bit better what the status of an inventory car is before pulling the trigger.

I am scared what the deprecation hit will be for us once the 4680 battery Model 3 is released.
The 4680 battery to me is everything. I think range on almost every model that uses that battery is going to skyrocket and I'm planning on waiting to make any Tesla-related vehicle moves until that rolls out. I envision LR Model Ys and 3s coming in at over 400 miles at that time. But more importantly for many of us, the Cybertruck will come up right behind that roll out.

Personally, I would never upgrade just for those items, and pay another round of state taxes and registrations. but, WERE I do really really want it, and money wasn’t a real issue, I would DEFINITELY wait till any new EV federal tax credits were confirmed (and not hope for back dating or retro active application of them).. There IS probably a decent arbitrage opportunity here to come if one is ready to pounce on a new car AND sell or trade in an existing one but I’m still very happy with my 2018 LR RWD that I’m probably going to keep it at least another 1-2 years before thinking about selling. and, hopefully, there will be some mythical FSD transfer or deprictate and credit option for new return buyers.

Reactions: SageBrush
Why? So you can be restricted in how long you own the car, what you can do it, how many miles you can drive, and what happens to it after the lease period?

Leasing very often doesn't work out to save any money over buying and private selling, so why torture yourself with all the restrictions? If you want a new car, you can sell your purchased car anytime you want and get that new car. Can't easily do that with a lease.
Because you don’t have do deal with hassle of selling. Just return and lease again. So easy!