Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan was to sell CC for next week with a strike price of 250.
that's exactly what i did yesterday, +67% overnight... my simple logic:
  • if CPI is very bad, this CC prints $
  • any other CPI, this CC still prints $ since too many sellers at 223
  • i may close this today in case tomorrow is reverse to green day
1665669778911.png

today's Close=223.07, prediction 2 days ago only off by 1.40 🔮

next supp maybe 212 or 206, watch out for next week's CPI
i was right last Fri about 206, let's hope that is bottom coz i am really, really, really running out of patience with tsla

Too many ideas to lay them all out here, but what I came up with was to sell December 17th -c190's against all the shares, which nets $40 per contract, closed out the -p280's to get them off my back

Pros: downside protection to $190, boosts cash-balance, extrinsic $13 at time of sale, profitable as long as SP <$230 on expiry
Cons: gains capped at $230, no protection below $190 (note if calls did expire with SP <190, then 190 becomes the new baseline going forwards)
i might copy this aggressive extrinsic play for half my garbage buy-write shares, thx for the idea

that's exactly what i did yesterday, +67% overnight... my simple logic:
  • if CPI is very bad, this CC prints $
  • any other CPI, this CC still prints $ since too many sellers at 223
  • i may close this today in case tomorrow is reverse to green day
View attachment 863381

i was right last Fri about 206, let's hope that is bottom coz i am really, really, really running out of patience with tsla

i might copy this aggressive extrinsic play for half my garbage buy-write shares, thx for the idea
Assuming we get a climb into earnings next week, this might be a great play to do on Wed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoona
Here's a hot take narrative pretending that the FED actually has a plan based on logic:

I wouldn't be surprised if they plan to keep the panic and fear going until around Christmas, to 'save consumers from themselves'. It's tradition in the West to way overspend and debt skyrockets before Christmas. This habit would be unfortunate if it continues this year.

I don't anticipate being able to sell anything to generate cash until 2023 - serendipitously I wasn't banking on it due to tax considerations anyway.

Just remember that during these emotional 'crashes' - there's nothing wrong with the vast majority of businesses that are actually producing meaningful goods and services, and someday things will straighten out (or, worst case scenario, nuclear Armageddon happens, but then any cash you had on hand is worthless anyway, so your investing decisions don't matter any more).

But it is a good reminder to me why it's a real gamble to trade options or play with borrowed money in general, and I don't need that kind of stress in my life so I stay away.

Edit: sorry, I thought I was in the general investing thread - I really didn't mean to come to the options thread to say why I don't trade options! Though the Christmas part may be helpful for those looking for logic/rationales to base future strategies on...

Last edited:
Yesterday I thought we hit the bottom and CPI will be good and start a recovery rally today.
Based on that expectation I sold some 700 shares and wanted to buy March.2024 LEAPs on the money.
However, IB did not let me spend the money on options right away, apparently due to the difference in share vs option settling time (2 vs 1 day), if I sell shares I can buy some other shares right away from that money, but if I want to buy options I need to wait an extra day.

Well, CPI came in hot, market dropped, so now I could buy some $200 strike March.2024 LEAPs cheaper ($68.8) than I could have yesterday ($78)!
Thanks IB, I guess. ;)

I've sold CC's all the way down to 240 and closed Oct 14th calls now. I've only sold puts to close the wheel a short time ago (pun intended) for 290 and 305. I'm reluctant to sell more CC's at this point. I doubt we'll have a big rally on earnings, but there are many catalysts. The big problem is no companies seem willing to take margin compression on Fed signaling they will recession us, they will only take margin compression after we're in a full on recession. Hope I'm wrong, but earnings seem to show companies expanding margins and running with inflation. If we get more than 2 more rate increases, I'd guess 150 is not out of the question. I never thought we'd go below 250 again, now sub 200 & presplit 600 seem more likely than a relief rally.
I gave up on BPS after last years whipsaw. If we dip to 190, I think I'll dip my toe in and sell some 150-125 BPS. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Further proof that I am a Master Strategist -

Panicked at the opening and sold 1500 shares in my mom's IRA at 207. Realized I made a mistake and bought them back at 210. Noticed the price bouncing around 208, so I thought that if we hit 210 again, I can sell them, and buy them back at 208. Sold them at 210, and now the SP won't come down so I can't buy them back without losing more money. You're welcome mom....

Further proof that I am a Master Strategist -

Panicked at the opening and sold 1500 shares in my mom's IRA at 207. Realized I made a mistake and bought them back at 210. Noticed the price bouncing around 208, so I thought that if we hit 210 again, I can sell them, and buy them back at 208. Sold them at 210, and now the SP won't come down so I can't buy them back without losing more money. You're welcome mom....
MOMMY!!!!! 🤕

💡*perhaps* i found the significance of 223? i think it goes back to the 8/31/2020 5:1 stock split and been a strong supp for almost 2 yrs now

hoping that's the tsla bottom, even if there's an occasional intra-week drop below it

TSLA 3yr-1wk chart:
View attachment 862348
i think too early to be excited by tsla price action; this morning's climb was rejected by that 223 line; supp finally became res

1665678536956.png

also, same as the last few days, sp is hovering around fib 61% (hi-low) by noon time; ~216

I was able to close 230cc for this Friday at .65 (down from 1.25 or so from yesterday close) despite the share price being up about $5 when I closed. Too bad I slept so well last night - if I'd been up with the market open I'd have had a much better close. NOTE: I prefer the sleep :)

In for $4, out for .65. Previously earned $2.

I'm very comfortable continuing to sell 230 strike cc - if my timing works well I'd like to pick up some strike to strike gains as well, though that's not a priority.