Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another newbie question. So I had x20 1/13 120CC and it looks like my luck is finally running out after a year of pretty good trades.

This will be my first time getting assigned. So say I get assigned/shares called away, and now we're at Monday, 16 January.

My cost basis on those shares is right around $50, so it's not a loss selling at 120. Can I use the money gained to re-buy the shares? Do I have to wait X days to re-buy? If so, I will probably put the money in some index ETF, just wanted to confirm what NOT to do because I hear so much about wash sales.

Thanks!

Welps, with tonights model 3/Y price cuts, your 120CC's might still close for a profit!

Oh my gosh. Divine intervention for sure, thank the maker. With the news of the massive price cuts, I was able to BTC x20 1/13 120C for an 80% win. I cannot believe how close assignment came, and so relieved. Going to step away from options until February to allow for the earnings, FOMC to happen while I sit beaming edge to edge smiling with shares intact for the meantime.

Thanks everyone!

Aaahh. I thought about selling CC yesterday for next week. Now I wish I had. Market closed Monday. Will have to wait and see what the SP is doing Tuesday. I don't want to lose shares on a hard reversal.

FYI - I paid $51990 for my Y in 2021, and Gross Margins were 30.5% that quarter. Now they have more than 2X the production, which lowers costs and balances some commodity price increases. They also get money from the Govt. for battery pack manufacturing. Gross margins will be fine.

Thank you. I was just wondering what the GM was at 2021.

Reactions: BornToFly
I sold 3 128 CC's yesterday and still had 15 130 and 5 120's. Closed 10 135 yesterday afternoon. Closed all CC's this morning and have an open put at 120. I am ok buying, but will sell shares at the close to sell more puts for next week. I expect a bounce from here (117.70). If we bounce over 120, I'll probably sell some 140 calls for next week. If there is a perception Tesla can maintain adequate margins, I think the price cuts could turn market positive. It certainly increases pressure on all competition & lays out unit growth for the next two years.
I'm still in bad shape on 120 2/17 calls. Will continue to sell some near money calls to balance out losses on those, if we don't get a big bounce.

Haha yeah and you never know what will happen during regular market hours. If you get a chance to close the covered calls at open you should take that opportunity.
Yep! I put in BTC order on my -c125s for $0.10 before I went to bed. Woke up to see it filled, so I used the remaining to pick up shares for $118. First good trade I've made in a while.

moving the Short Strangle 1/13 105-130 to 1/20 110-130 was the right move
got the creds and the IV crush

next steps for 1/20
  • keep the -p110
  • milk the -c130 some more, then perhaps BTC
  • wait to buy shares at dip, STO ATM B/W at peak
View attachment 894949
BTC 1/20 -c130 at today's dip
STO again at today's peak
gained extra .19 credit
#feelingsomewhatlikemaybeagenius

also, gained ~$5 ($5000 per 1000 shares) daytrading the stock, riding up long to short
1673625573115.png

What is the “-p” in “-p/-p120”?
Oops, sorry typo. Meant to say: -p/-c, meaning that I had previously written (sold) both short puts and short calls both at 120. This is a non-directional options strategy called a short straddle that benefits from a relatively stable stock price that remains within strike +/- premium. Ideally, if the SP closes at or near the strike, both options close near worthless and the writer keeps all the premiums.

So, closed out the -c120s at $0.7-$0.9 during the MMD, glad I did. Originally sold those in the $6 range. Let the -p120s ride a bit longer, thought about holding to close, but finally rolled to next week for another $2.50 or so because I have a meeting this afternoon and won’t be able to babysit. I netted near $2.50 on the puts this week as well, so quite happy with the results.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to close out my 1/20 -c110s hedge before today’s run to $121. I’ll wait a bit and will likely lose big time on those

Reactions: CrunchyJello
Just anecdotally, but I've observed a sea change in sentiment among the many circles I'm shadowing. The smart investors / traders are buying and holding, calling Elon a champion for free speech and Tesla a great company. The dumb ones who couldn't even fathom buying TSLA in 2019, who then couldn't wait to load it up to the gill in 2021, are now running a competition to see who has the lowest price target for the stock. Great time to be a HODLer.

Just anecdotally, but I've observed a sea change in sentiment among the many circles I'm shadowing. The smart investors / traders are buying and holding, calling Elon a champion for free speech and Tesla a great company. The dumb ones who couldn't even fathom buying TSLA in 2019, who then couldn't wait to load it up to the gill in 2021, are now running a competition to see who has the lowest price target for the stock. Great time to be a HODLer.
Few weeks ago I saw shorts bragging how smart they were and how bad Tesla was. They seem quieter now…

Stock refusing to make fresh lows despite a barrage of perceived *bad* news is a sure sign of bottoming.
I suspect it's just MaxP keeping it down below 120 - Hedgies seemed to have given-up on it yesterday, but got a free gift overnight and have renewed vigor...

When they let their foot off the break it climbs fast

It seems CGS is having a lower price target every time it hit his target. Just to show how to make numbers out of their a$$. Cory analysis on the stock probably having bottomed since capitulation at the end of December seems to be the most reasonable one. Even Mauro tweeted it still to be seen if we have a Frebruary flush to bottom in March. Bears have targets all over the place.

I suggest
BTC 1/20 -c130 at today's dip
STO again at today's peak
gained extra .19 credit
#feelingsomewhatlikemaybeagenius

also, gained ~$5 ($5000 per 1000 shares) daytrading the stock, riding up long to short
View attachment 895279
I remember being a genius back in October 2021. I must have had a severe blow to the head in November of '21. Still recovering.

Max pain next week is 135 and premium for 135 calls is at ~.60. I'll wait to sell anything until we either move up, or expectations reset on Monday. I do have a 120 call and put. If we rise above 131 I start to lose on the trade, but win on Feb long calls.
US markets closed on Monday for MLK Day