Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why any leaps I buy, I get out of with 3-6 months (or more) before expiration. I've had that happen a few years ago - 500 strike cc were about $10 ITM at expiration - share price was 650 the next week.

Whatever you're gonna get, figure you've got it before the really serious time decay kicks in.

EDIT to add: ... and whatever manipulations they will be subject to when you're near expiration.

What is your strategy with LEAPS now? You sell them for a profit 6 months before expiry and buy at the same strike price 1 year out? Or you adjust strike price?

OK, I have some work to do with some ITM CC's... 13x -c150's roll nicely to a -180 ATM straddle, but the 22x -c130's, not so obvious, maybe a December ATM straddle, which would also cut the number of contracts down to 15x, loads of extrinsic on both the puts and calls...
Not sure how this will work, but on today’s drop below 170, I just opened a few 2/3 150/155 BPS at $0.50 & $0.60 to go with my 2/10 & 2/17 -c155s. Maybe I can scrape off some premium in the intervening weeks. Edit: oops, forgot about FOMC. Better buyback the -p155s soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think safe to say those TA guys telling us we would go that low didn’t take other stuff into there analysis (Tax selling, margin calls, long term options expiring,…).
TA has a sense, but only when there is no big news… You see there is no resistance in that case.
Also, a lot of people didn’t want to lose their Tesla stock at that time, certainly not at the levels we were at. Seeing Tesla rising like hell brought some serious FOMO time.
Right, but I definitely thought the same like @OrthoSurg a few times on the fast lane down and the thing is with $TSLA no one can call the bottom, although Chicken and FX Evolution were damn close (from the $300 down already I think) and we just could not believe that. Now that I've felt it all the way, I am more cautious and listen (partly) to all of the experts that were right before,
Today I closed a rolled call with some gain, leaving me with just the shares. Just to make a chance for a "second time around" on much lower SP (I only count on a single one occurring before march 1st) I have put some money aside by selling some shares @ $ 175. So I think we will have a dip (possibly to the at least the last gap-up from 143) and am putting my belief to it, because the recent climb was at a very much more than 45 degree angle, which normally drops back to 45 degrees later on. Lots of buyers alerted now, any good news on wednesday or earlier will urge me to buy back in and then I will buy me some leaps too (for the first time ever). So far I have "earned" 4 dollar per earlier sold share, to put into leaps, which I plan to do at least. (buying leaps for the "prevented loss")
QUESTION: not having bought any LEAPS ever I am very interested in which ones you have chosen/would choose. I would choose a LEAPS that runs ITM soon (And I am a superbull @ these levels), giving me the oppertunity to sell soon at a big gain or be confident and wait for the real grow. My bias is SP $200 before august 1st and $500 in 2025.
So a call june 2025 $200, currently priced about $54, seems reasonable. That will be cheaper in the next dip, if it comes, and can grow easily into +700% much before expiration, especially if after the dip the run-up is steep after march 1 (and especially Q2 I Guess)

On the 1h+ timeframes, TSLA still hasn't developed any bearish divergence. This tells me that 181 will be tested at least once more. Whether that leads to another high or confirms the top is in around the 180-185 zone remains to be seen, although I'm leaning toward the latter. I'm still selling naked 160p exp 2/3 and will close some Wednesday morning. I think it's a good time to switch to put selling (naked puts for me). TSLA was on nasty downtrend for 5 months (September to January) which ended last week. My read is it won't resume the downtrend anytime soon. The line in the sand is 143 and rising. Below 143, be very very careful. Above 143 we're just testing supports.

Trying to decide if I close my 195 and 200cc for Friday with a small loss now (they were a huge loss three days ago). I can’t tell if today is a small breather in the market before recovering tomorrow and ripping end of week after Fed meeting?… I would hate for them to go ITM by Friday. I’m thinking close now, and open something new in a few days if there is a bounce. Thoughts?

Trying to decide if I close my 195 and 200cc for Friday with a small loss now (they were a huge loss three days ago). I can’t tell if today is a small breather in the market before recovering tomorrow and ripping end of week after Fed meeting?… I would hate for them to go ITM by Friday. I’m thinking close now, and open something new in a few days if there is a bounce. Thoughts?
Exactly the same actually.
One side tells me not to close too early, other side says close it on such down days and reopen on rebound.
But we could have an even more red day tomorrow… difficult.

Reactions: BornToFly
Way to talk yourself into a narrative that might not happen. As ridiculous as you think the rise was this week, the elevator down the last half of Decemberish was equally as ridiculous and yet it happened. I’ve seen several other ‘ridiculous’ price movements in this stock (and others) over the last decade.

The stock doesn’t have to retrace anything, but it might. I heard about all kinds of resistance levels here just a few days ago - stock didn’t bother to pause at any of them.

This is a crooks game, gentlemen. And if you aren’t a member of the gang, you are simply guessing. If I was a gang member; I’d change the game every single time my mark thought they’d figured my game out.

And sorry, not sorry. I hope the stock is trading above $200 immediately.
Did you by any chance hear about my 180 resistance? ;)
While it is true that TSLA can climb a lot more as it did in the past, it needs to do one thing first: retrace at least 50% of the initial spike up. If you go back, it happened every single time. I invite you to go over this post.
Here are again all the times TSLA got rejected by the hourly 200 EMA and retraced at least 50%. Wouldn't you say these lows were pretty scary, end-of-the-world type in their own right? I was there so I know. Wouldn't you think to yourself "hmmm, if we bounce from this abyss, we'll never see these prices again" just like you're thinking now? You would and you would be wrong every time.

View attachment 878064
Here are 2 more: the June 2019 low and COVID crash low
View attachment 878065
So it's not my opinion that once we've topped out initially, the stock will retrace at least 50%. If it tops out at 200, it will go back to at least 183. There's no upward pressure afterward to worry about until the retracement is complete. At 183 with 2-3 DTE, you can close your 195C's for pennies.

In all of these examples, only once did TSLA not get rejected by the hourly 200 EMA and that's after the June 2019 low but it still retraced 50% from the top. Probabilities say 200 as the top and 183 as minimum retracement is a safe bet.

The good thing about this rising wedge is the slope is extremely steep. For TSLA to stay within it today, we're talking about another $10 day so we should know pretty quickly if it's set up to do something like that. I'll try and keep everyone updated. I've never seen a true break upward from a rising wedge.

View attachment 878067

The reason for this is deeply rooted in human psychology. It's not manipulation or random occurrences. Wave 1 up from the bottom can be impulsive because it is fear driven:

a. Short sellers fear getting blown up
b. Bottom catchers fear missing out

Smart investors do not want to buy any stock that has just run up 80% in 4 weeks, regardless how low the starting point was. Why? Is it because they don't think TSLA is worth $180? No. They don't buy it here because they don't want to compete against short sellers and bottom catchers in chasing it at this price point. If anything, they want these people to buy every share they're forced to buy before taking their own profit on the stock. When the stock or the economy has some piece of bad news, as bad news tends to happen in a shaky global economy, reality is going to set in and people is going to flip "Tesla is still the same company as it was before the ER and a lot of the initial runup was just short covering", it will retrace deeply as 80% profit in a month is no joke. The stock should retrace at least 50% before deep pocket buyers say ok the price is attractive again. That's wave 2. The retracement is simply a test of strength of the rally.

Wave 3 happens only after the stock has been tested at the bottom of wave 2 and that's when the real fun begins. That's the irrational spike you're probably thinking of. Those were wave 3, not wave 1. We are currently in wave 1. Actually we could already be in wave 2. The question is not if, but when it will retrace deeply.

Last edited:
I understand that Max Pain data is to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I'm seeing a large spike of 120P's for Feb 17. Nothing in the surrounding weeks pops out this much and therefore could be relevant with short-term SP...?

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 12.02.30 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf