Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I read through this thread I am surprised at how much high risk / low return investing is going on here. While the "wheel" originally sounded kind of like "trading around a position," the subtleties make it much less effective. Personally I keep a base position and sell covered calls a few weeks out when I think the price has a high probability of dropping, and sell puts when it is higher probability of rising, usually $10-20 ITM on puts and $20-30 OTM on calls. When the puts get assigned then I have more shares... when the calls get assigned I use the proceeds to buy LEAP calls deep ITM.

Sure, there are a few trades where I end up losing money, but overall it has worked out well for the past 5+ years.

As I read through this thread I am surprised at how much high risk / low return investing is going on here. While the "wheel" originally sounded kind of like "trading around a position," the subtleties make it much less effective. Personally I keep a base position and sell covered calls a few weeks out when I think the price has a high probability of dropping, and sell puts when it is higher probability of rising, usually $10-20 ITM on puts and $20-30 OTM on calls. When the puts get assigned then I have more shares... when the calls get assigned I use the proceeds to buy LEAP calls deep ITM.

Sure, there are a few trades where I end up losing money, but overall it has worked out well for the past 5+ years.

Yeah, we're all a bunch of gamblers! So how did you manage the covered calls around the Hertz Deal and last year's constant decline?

Day to day put OI increased slightly more across most strikes than call OI. Put to Call is .93 , highest call OI is 300, C290 saw the greatest increase as did P260. A $4 gap down pre-market is strange ... we may be in a holding pattern, mid 270's could stick, may be good for managing DITM calls.

day2dayoi-20-21.png

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
Here comes the cooling articles....

Tesla Stock Is Downgraded as Investors 'Disregard' Fundamentals (Barrons.com)
(Spoiler: The downgrade isn't having much of an impact so far on Tesla stock in premarket trading Wednesday.)

Jun 21, 2023 7:20 AM EDT

After Tesla's epic run, Wall Street needs to fish or cut bait on the stock. Barclays decided to cut bait.

Analyst Dan Levy on Wednesday downgraded Tesla sshares to Hold from Buy while taking his price target to $260 a share from $220.

Mod: copyrighted content deleted. --ggr

© 2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day to day put OI increased slightly more across most strikes than call OI. Put to Call is .93 , highest call OI is 300, C290 saw the greatest increase as did P260. A $4 gap down pre-market is strange ... we may be in a holding pattern, mid 270's could stick, may be good for managing DITM calls.

View attachment 949440
What do you mean by “$4 gap down premarket?”

Reactions: UncaNed
Here comes the cooling articles....

Tesla Stock Is Downgraded as Investors 'Disregard' Fundamentals (Barrons.com)
(Spoiler: The downgrade isn't having much of an impact so far on Tesla stock in premarket trading Wednesday.)

Jun 21, 2023 7:20 AM EDT

After Tesla's epic run, Wall Street needs to fish or cut bait on the stock. Barclays decided to cut bait.

Analyst Dan Levy on Wednesday downgraded Tesla sshares to Hold from Buy while taking his price target to $260 a share from $220.

The downgrade with a target price bump makes some sense. Tesla shares have jumped about $93, or 52%, over the past month, adding almost $300 billion to the company's market capitalization.

Electric-vehicle charging deals with Ford Motor (F), General Motors (GM), and Rivian Automotive (RIVN) have helped to catalyze the run. So has optimism about AI-related companies in the wake of Nvidia's (NVDA) blowout quarterly results. Tesla uses AI to train its autonomous-driving technology.

Levy is focused more on the existing car business than the AI opportunity and he doesn't see things as positively as the stock price action would suggest. More vehicle price cuts are possible, which would pressure profit margins and earnings. "Indeed, the relative disregard of challenges to near-term Tesla fundamentals amid the sharp rally is our key concern for the stock," wrote Levy.

He sees the company earning $4 a share in 2024. The Wall Street consensus is at $4.78. Even if Tesla does earn closer to $5 in 2024, the recent rally has taken its price-to-earnings ratio to about 57 times estimated 2024 numbers, from 38 times a month ago.

Investors have just become too optimistic too quickly for Levy. Evidence for increasing optimism is easy to find. A month ago, the average analyst price target on Tesla stock was about $190 a share, about $10 above where the stock was trading. Today, the average price target is about $203 a share, about $71 below where Tesla stock closed Tuesday.

The highest price target on Wall Street a month ago, among larger U.S. brokers, was $300 a share from New Street Research analyst Pierre Ferragu. Now the highest target is $305 a share from RBC analyst Tom Narayan. Ferragu is still at $300. Price targets are moving higher but Wall Street just can't keep up.

WIth the downgrade, about 48% of analysts covering the stock rate shares a Buy, down from almost 50% a few weeks ago. The average Buy-rating ratio for stocks in the S&P 500 is about 55%.

The average analyst price target for a stock in the S&P 500 implies gains of about 14%. It's unusual for a stock to be trading 35% higher than the consensus price target.

Tesla, however, is an unusual company.

The downgrade isn't having much of an impact on Tesla stock in premarket trading Wednesday. Shares were rising about 1.3% while S&P 500 futures traded flat and Nasdaq Composite futures were off about 0.1%.

Write to Al Root at [email protected]

This content was created by Barron's, which is operated by Dow Jones & Co. Barron's is published independently from Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal.

© 2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
Looks like someone missed to the run.

On the other hand, when you have a run from 100 to almost 300 in less than 6 months then shouldn't it be wise to sell some (sorry for swearing, but this is the options thread where we buy and sell shares all the time when contracts get executed ;) )

Reactions: Jim Holder
9 down (moved to 350), 21 to go.
Seems, might have to do another 350 to 400 conversion by beginning of 4Q :)

rolled 5 ATM PUTS to 280 for next week, and use the credits for the move ...
All ducklings at Jan 24 350 now (300's were getting to near for me to stomach ...). Changed weekly ATM PUTS back to Jan 24's and used the proceeds for the rest.
Not thinking of profit& loss on these as it's all Other People Money play for now ...
I have a feeling .. will need to do the same from 350 to 400 by beginning of 4Q after some cyber truck FOMO....

I have tons on Jan 24 400 CC's (in IRA's) sold for < $2 which are all ~ $20 now ..... mountains in paper losses :(
$2 at 400, but more like $7-8 for each share, as I had started them at 600, 500 and then rolled to 400, with deep dips in SP.
Good that there are jan 24, and if we start hitting 340-350, I will roll to jan 25 ...

Last edited:

Could you explain the rationale to purchase deep ITM LEAP calls if your covered calls get assigned? I have been doing the relatively safer CC and CSP as well. Just want to reduce my cost basis over the time and keep the shares longterm :)