Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can’t believe we are going into the week end without our favorite chartist.

How am I going to make sens of the stock market doing the opposite of what I expect only to fulfill the TA self fulfilling prophecy
Have Tesla ever closed green the day after a major price cut for the 3/Y? Especially now that the Y's LR is priced LOWER than the introduction MSRP of 49k. There was like a 99% chance today would be red and yet the 1% still won out. Absolutely amazing...

I dont know. Maybe these are newsworthy

1. Hot Job Market. More job mean more people can buy Tesla.
2. Starting in January instant federal rebates for electric car
3. Cybertruck launching anytime soon
4. No Downgrade yet giving normal people like us confident to buy the dip. Setting up for a big rug pull?
5. Overall Tech Market are rebounding good this week

As you can see in my pic - I'm just a small dog with MOE money. The Market does not always obey logics as we think it should. Who know?

Reactions: phantasms
Have Tesla ever closed green the day after a major price cut for the 3/Y? Especially now that the Y's LR is priced LOWER than the introduction MSRP of 49k. There was like a 99% chance today would be red and yet the 1% still won out. Absolutely amazing...

You have to compare to macros. Today was a big macro move. I often compare to QLD which is a 2x Nasdaq 100 ETF. Usually TSLA moves in similar magnitude to it when no news.

QLD was up about 3% while TSLA was barely positive. So basically TSLA "lost" 3% relative what the macro move would have predicted.

Image to show correlation btw the two. TSLA "lost" about 2% at open (so not seen here) and then gradually almost another 1% throughout the day.

Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 4.42.18 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 4.39.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 4.39.56 PM.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 42
You have to compare to macros. Today was a big macro move. I often compare to QLD which is a 2x Nasdaq 100 ETF. Usually TSLA moves in similar magnitude to it when no news.

QLD was up about 3% while TSLA was barely positive. So basically TSLA "lost" 3% relative what the macro move would have predicted.

Image to show correlation btw the two. TSLA "lost" about 2% at open (so not seen here) and then gradually almost another 1% throughout the day.

View attachment 980238
Usually Tsla decouples from macros and having delta up to a 10% loss or higher. Today was pretty strange as macro was strong, but not mind blowingly 2.5% move or anything.

Would be helpful is Dl003 let us know what he sees in the chart today. From someone who has only a little clue about TA make today feel like more bullish than bearish.

Usually Tsla decouples from macros and having delta up to a 10% loss or higher. Today was pretty strange as macro was strong, but not mind blowingly 2.5% move or anything.

Would be helpful is Dl003 let us know what he sees in the chart today. From someone who has only a little clue about TA make today feel like more bullish than bearish.
Been reading this thread for a couple of years trying to understand options. I mostly hold long term. @DI003 never stated that TSLA was going to tank this week, he stated that the decline would happen at some point and then come back to around 240 by EOY. This week was a weird week as Deliveries and Production were down and we all know why Production was down due to retooling. Yet, the market responded by giving TSLA a higher stock price this week. I understand that by keeping manufacturing running strong, we may see efficiencies getting better but with price cuts, I am guessing margins will be hit again when we hear Earnings on the 18th.
Is the market looking past the 3rd quarter earnings knowing that 4th quarter P&D should be very strong and Cybertruck is imminent? That would surprise me as WS is so short sighted. I still think TSLA, short term, will decline right after 10/18 Earnings call, but I have no clue how much, no one does…but, judging by this weeks stock price rise, something might be changing with how WS might be valuing Tesla and TSLA.

Been reading this thread for a couple of years trying to understand options. I mostly hold long term. @DI003 never stated that TSLA was going to tank this week, he stated that the decline would happen at some point and then come back to around 240 by EOY. This week was a weird week as Deliveries and Production were down and we all know why Production was down due to retooling. Yet, the market responded by giving TSLA a higher stock price this week. I understand that by keeping manufacturing running strong, we may see efficiencies getting better but with price cuts, I am guessing margins will be hit again when we hear Earnings on the 18th.
Is the market looking past the 3rd quarter earnings knowing that 4th quarter P&D should be very strong and Cybertruck is imminent? That would surprise me as WS is so short sighted. I still think TSLA, short term, will decline right after 10/18 Earnings call, but I have no clue how much, no one does…but, judging by this weeks stock price rise, something might be changing with how WS might be valuing Tesla and TSLA.
I agree with Dl003's bearish outlook for the next few months or even 6 months or else I wouldn't have sold calls. However we all know Tsla is here to destroy expectations so maybe it was a case of everyone is bearish so have a bullish week to F with everyone.

I agree with Dl003's bearish outlook for the next few months or even 6 months or else I wouldn't have sold calls. However we all know Tsla is here to destroy expectations so maybe it was a case of everyone is bearish so have a bullish week to F with everyone.

Bearish outlook.... and then we have Tom Lee bullish about that rest of the year. I don't remember a time so confusing as this one. Are we really bearish because of how horrible the end of last year was for us? Right now I am setup really bearish and I am starting to doubt my position. Maybe I should have done nothing.

Bearish outlook.... and then we have Tom Lee bullish about that rest of the year. I don't remember a time so confusing as this one. Are we really bearish because of how horrible the end of last year was for us? Right now I am setup really bearish and I am starting to doubt my position. Maybe I should have done nothing.

Well I'm bearish because of rates not coming down for awhile. Essentially the banks took away a good portion of Tesla's profit and I don't think the market will reward Tesla stock any favors until we see some major improvements from margins with ASP down. Also we have a hard time growing volume next year @ 40-50% pace due to a lack of new factories.

So we may have a macro recovery..which I don't see it as a strong recovery when rates are this high. We may have some kind of licensing deal announcement that will cause the stock to be in the 300s and maybe even kiss 400. But yea other than that I don't see much happening till mid next year. CT will be a drag on margins for awhile until mid next year. Maybe Elon starts buying Tesla shares again now that ADL have given X the all clear to advertise? That business seems to be on the up and up with 200M more users than when he acquired it.

On start of the day (and I was not able to watch SP a lot nor trade) I was holding p250 of which I chose to sell 1/3 @ enough (on opening) to cover for the other 2/3 that must be held to cover 100% of -P262.5. 1.5 hours prior to close I was surprised to see the evaluation of SP and closed -C260 as well as -P262.5both with a profit, leaving 2/3 of P250 expiring(at no cost). I was very surprised doing so well when premarket I thought it would be a big loss on positions (262.5-250 plus premiumdelta of 4 dollar= 8.50 dollar per contract) as well on SP where I went all in the day before. Everything green, except for the P‘s I bought for Oct 20 and Nov 10 and little P positions on ARM and KRE for oct20.paper loss was 1/3 of realised profits, so I am a happy guy. Certainly too on selling my model 3 as well yesterday, well above Tesla’s trade-in-proposal that as always was really sh*tty.

Reactions: Nick-m
Not advertising? Yes, surely there should be some carefully targeted, efficient marketing if they have to cut prices. As an investor supporting the mission, I'm glad Tesla doesn't throw away billions like traditional auto does.

Elon said they'd try it; I wonder if anything came of that. He should know what pays off and what doesn't.
I think he will wait for the moment that Tesla is capable of increasing production turn-key and that all is aligned to make that happen as soon as the 7500 credit kicks in immediately on purchase. That will be the absolute lowest price you could ever buy a n electric vehicle way below any ICE that offers somewhat the same experience. Spin TOC as well and I think the valley of death will kick in immediately. For now CNBC and Yahoo finance trumpet pricedrops enough to get all production and inventory Sold. Keeping/ Rising Volume is what matters in economic lesser times, to be fully equipped to open the EV-floodgates when times get better where the competition can raise prises too, but have no EV’s enough to sell, creating wait-times of more than a year for current models. I think an ad-campaigne during holidays will give us a ripping Q1. Q4 will have a very high US-inventory. Ready to be delivered come 2024. US production Q4 will be astonishing, delivery will be high as well, but lag production in the US. China will be the other way around and Europe in between. For the stockprice I’m totally with @dl003, it will drop in Q4 after an intermediate high Soon (maybe it is already in), But 212 could be a bottom, if broken 189. Just my 2 cents.

On start of the day (and I was not able to watch SP a lot nor trade) I was holding p250 of which I chose to sell 1/3 @ enough (on opening) to cover for the other 2/3 that must be held to cover 100% of -P262.5. 1.5 hours prior to close I was surprised to see the evaluation of SP and closed -C260 as well as -P262.5both with a profit, leaving 2/3 of P250 expiring(at no cost). I was very surprised doing so well when premarket I thought it would be a big loss on positions (262.5-250 plus premiumdelta of 4 dollar= 8.50 dollar per contract) as well on SP where I went all in the day before. Everything green, except for the P‘s I bought for Oct 20 and Nov 10 and little P positions on ARM and KRE for oct20.paper loss was 1/3 of realised profits, so I am a happy guy. Certainly too on selling my model 3 as well yesterday, well above Tesla’s trade-in-proposal that as always was really sh*tty.
Nice job salvaging the rest of the position! I had a similar situation, worse in that it was a +242.5/-252.5 put spread. An hour and half into trading, I was down -250% or more with SP nearing 251/252. By about 1pm or so I was able to buy back the sold puts (thanks for the suggest @LAexpress) , leaving the bought puts to expire worthless. The put side of the IC resulted in 90% profit for holding one 1DTE. Call side was -c272.5/+282.5, same 1DTE, expired and kept it all. Although nerve racking, remaining patient is key.

Nice job salvaging the rest of the position! I had a similar situation, worse in that it was a +242.5/-252.5 put spread. An hour and half into trading, I was down -250% or more with SP nearing 251/252. By about 1pm or so I was able to buy back the sold puts (thanks for the suggest @LAexpress) , leaving the bought puts to expire worthless. The put side of the IC resulted in 90% profit for holding one 1DTE. Call side was -c272.5/+282.5, same 1DTE, expired and kept it all. Although nerve racking, remaining patient is key.
Be careful with this attitude. You basically did nothing and got lucky. The SP could have closed at 242 and you would have had a full loss. I lost 2/3 of my retirement in 2022 because I was "patient" and watched the SP drop despite Tesla increasing it's sales, to the point that my BPSs went to full loss and I had to sell 2/3 of my shares to get the money to pay to close the BPSs as margin vanished.

Be careful with this attitude. You basically did nothing and got lucky. The SP could have closed at 242 and you would have had a full loss. I lost 2/3 of my retirement in 2022 because I was "patient" and watched the SP drop despite Tesla increasing it's sales, to the point that my BPSs went to full loss and I had to sell 2/3 of my shares to get the money to pay to close the BPSs as margin vanished.
This.

Patience is only the right strategy when you are correct on the overall direction and magnitude of the stock move in the time period to which you committed.

In my case BPS I sold in late 21 were salvaged with the SP spikes in early 22 and encouraged me to double down on the strategy.

The results were not good for the rest of 2022, although in my case I only lost about a third of my shares accumulated from 2018 and before. Life changing money for most people.

Last edited:
Stocks follow statistics untold the herd gets emotional after MM decides to manipulate the stock the other way around.

• Informative
Reactions: Surfer of Life
Yes, remember January 13th?

Is anyone planning on selling their shares before ER? I am contemplating doing that because I am nervous about the results. I have $270 and 280cc's for next week and a bunch of underwater puts.
Seems there is strong resistance at $261
I would expect this to double top and then go down and resume selling like @dl003 expected that’s why I closed 60% of my sold puts