Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a term for this, can’t put my finger on it.. i’m literally spinning my finger round and round in the air and can’t put my finger on it. ;-0
Yeah, but with calls, not shares... shares and LEAPS are another thing to sell very safe OTM cc's against

But seriously, if I had done this rather than going for ATM big wins all the time, I'd have serious money in the bank by now

STC 8x +C150 LEAPS 12/19/25 @ $104.85
STC 6x +C300 LEAPS 1/16/26 @ $47.00

Protective move. Will re-buy if we get and stay over $220-$222. Leaning to see a test of $212 or lower first. I can rebuy there too.
Still holding longs and -P300 LEAPS 10/2025

Last edited:
Reactions: tivoboy
Quick update for everyone...

My 255NOV17 CSP were assigned at 0400 on 11/1. They were just too DITM with little time value left. There was also no real good rolls available so I just let them go. The cost basis on the shares is $220.80.

Now that we have peaked for the day, STO 235NOV10 CC on those same shares for $.89. This is the first time I have had a CSP assigned and am now flipping and selling the CC side. I wont be upset to lose the shares, but I am hoping to sell them closer to 255.

Debating what to do with my newly acquired shares via -230Ps last week and today's -225Ps assignment. Sell 225/230 CCs for next week now or wait to next week to sell the CCs. These are all in our Roth so no tax considerations when wheeling it.

My gut feeling is wait to see if we can break 220's?

Reactions: Max Plaid
It's based on a conviction as to the direction of the stock, but you are 100% correct, of course

After some years of doing this, and being relatively successful, my future strategy is quite clear, aside holding shares and/or LEAPS:
- when the stock is low, buy calls -> 6 months out seems to be a good timeframe
- sell safe OTM calls as the stock rises
- sell aggressive puts as the stock rises
- when stock reaches a high point, sell ATM calls until they expire OTM
- sell the calls
- buy puts, and repeat the above selling safe puts and aggressive calls on the way back down
- rinse/repeat

If you can do that reasonably well, you'll make money, it's very simple

Needs a little patience though...
Ok, so you take a little profit on OTM calls (up) or OTM puts (down) on shorter timeframes (some do monthly, some weekly I saw) against the market ON TOP of what I do. ( Up until now I use short term options almost only on day-trading when the move of the day/week is very clear with the market

Stronger resistance above vs. near below downside support below
next three weeks of max pain levels, all below 210/220, or just AT 220 - these will most likely shift UP today, but we’ll have to wait and see
shape of options curve two days ago vs. today..put premiums were HIGH and call premIums were LOW - So MM can/could make bank
bond mkt oversoldedness two days ago, vs. today (If I ((underscore I) entered TLT in the past couple days, many many others (highest on record) did and that pushed up bond prices, yields down, high beta mega caps love that and we’re seeing it today)
My “Superforecaster” spidey sense tells me this is a short duration relief rally, not the start of an SC rally or new bull wave.
When my left eye-lie twitches by 6:30 am pst, that tells me to sell calls
Starbucks gave me some Holiday Roast and not the Dark Roast I ordered at 05:30 this morning, that ALWAYS means sell calls. Even though I just bought SBUX at $90.85 YESTERDAY - so my year of the dark nectar is covered.
;-0

oh, and the big behemoth AAPL is reporting AH today, and BLS tomorrow.. so both of those things give me pause, and willingness to let some portion of my shares to be taken if need be.

I followed, STO 6x 11/17 -C220 @ $7.55.
Not a crazy amount of contracts for me in case they have to be "managed" and will monitor.

Starbucks gave me some Holiday Roast and not the Dark Roast I ordered at 05:30 this morning, that ALWAYS means sell calls. Even though I just bought SBUX at $90.85 YESTERDAY - so my year of the dark nectar is covered.
So the only question now is should we trust the instincts of someone with such poor coffee taste ;)

Sorry, just another coffee snob here ...

Quick update for everyone...

My 255NOV17 CSP were assigned at 0400 on 11/1. They were just too DITM with little time value left. There was also no real good rolls available so I just let them go. The cost basis on the shares is $220.80.

Now that we have peaked for the day, STO 235NOV10 CC on those same shares for $.89. This is the first time I have had a CSP assigned and am now flipping and selling the CC side. I wont be upset to lose the shares, but I am hoping to sell them closer to 255.
You could go out a week and down a Hamilton and get 7x that…

What's the consensus for Friday? Ugh, looks like I just missed the lowest opportunity to close -c220/+c240. I'm reluctant to roll up and out to next week, would rather take my lumps now.

EDIT: Or c235 for 11/17 ... ? that could be a .5 credit roll.

I decided to take my lumps later ... rolled the spread to 11/17 -c235/+c255 for .5 , too early to be sure but ain't feeling sub 220 for Friday, will close these out if we do move down this coming week or manage out and up again if needed.

So the only question now is should we trust the instincts of someone with such poor coffee taste ;)

Sorry, just another coffee snob here ...
Sometimes, time, effort and proximity trump (baby T) subjective quality. There is one added benefit to the local SBUX and that is it’s the ONLY place at 05:00 that my 2018 M3LR will CONFIDENTLY drive to on FSDb 11.47.7 while I check my phone, currencies, bonds, futures, pre-mkts, foreign markets and weather.

I could always make at home, but I’m out of Kopi Luwak

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
You mean MORE serious money in the bank :cool:
Well, I get by... but that's a result of buying $TSLA 2015 - 2019 and HODLing until end 2021 (missed the ATH, unfortunately), not to mention the legendary $1 Jan 2021 calls that went up 220x in a few months (but were actually 3600x up if held until expiry, doh!!)

OK, so I'm back in with 120x -p210 @$2.55 - rather modest compared to the -p220's, but a hell of a lot less stress too

Not the premiums I was after, but it's chasing that premium that often gets me into trouble, and the way TSLA has been rising since 13:40 I just didn't want to wait for a dip that might never come

TBH getting more stressed on the -c230's at this point - what if AAPL is a beat or less of a miss than expected, could gap-up overnight, eh?

Pffff....!!!

Reactions: Jim Holder