Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to update my positions as I've been lurking the past week.

Sold 190x Jan 250 @ 4.70 - hoping the stock can stay under 250 and potential trade in a tight range, but I will manage these if we see price over 250 as I do not want to lose the shares. I've owned this stock since it was at $5/share so the capital gains impact is significant.

Bought put spread 380x for Jan 150-180 for net 6.30. This would give me about a 10x-er if the stock happens to reach the 150 level before Jan.
In addition I have a large number of puts on the QQQs that I put on a couple weeks ago to also act as insurance.

It's not a small sum of money to pay for protection, but I watched this stock go to 101 in january without doing anything, so at least this time I have some peace of mind and can sleep at night.

I also borrow against my portfolio (which has a big percentage of TSLA) to do real estate deals, so I cannot have a drop in TSLA getting me called for any reason. I don't tend to play close to the sun, however large moves in TSLA can always be expected and therefore I wanted to buy insurance.

Thank god however for a good AMZN earnings, dovish JPow, and hopefully a neutral APPL earnings. Hoping we escape this earning season and everyone still has their pants! =)
Hmm, as much as $245 is a very very strong resistance at this point, some sort of SC rally in Dec, hopefully post a thwarted or resolved gov’t shutdown, we could very easily stretch above $250 for some moment in time between now and 3w Jan’24.. would someone call the shares for 1-5$, unsure.

Reactions: Dig deeper
Lots of supply to get over to see $220+

1698937907116.png

Edit: Added daily view:

1698938571660.png

Last edited:
I traded 100 TSLA for 2x Jan 2025 +185c (they cost $65/shr) this morning for a net credit that I used to close some 12/2025 -400c. The rationale is that IF the x-mas rally does happen, I'm leveraged for the rise. And if it doesn't, then at least the leaps won't drop as quickly as TSLA will (percentage wise). I also just don't see TSLA reaching 100 again, even if 2024 is bad.

These are finally seeing a profit now! Need to join gamblers anonymous, since it's been a stressful week!

Reactions: Nick-m and UncaNed
I still don’t get it when some of you sell calls on the way up and then get nervous as the SP keeps rising. Selling and Seeing Puts getting cheaper and cheaper is less stressful IMO…
It's based on a conviction as to the direction of the stock, but you are 100% correct, of course

After some years of doing this, and being relatively successful, my future strategy is quite clear, aside holding shares and/or LEAPS:
- when the stock is low, buy calls -> 6 months out seems to be a good timeframe
- sell safe OTM calls as the stock rises
- sell aggressive puts as the stock rises
- when stock reaches a high point, sell ATM calls until they expire OTM
- sell the calls
- buy puts, and repeat the above selling safe puts and aggressive calls on the way back down
- rinse/repeat

If you can do that reasonably well, you'll make money, it's very simple

Needs a little patience though...

What are you seeing to take on that risk?
Stronger resistance above vs. near below downside support below
next three weeks of max pain levels, all below 210/220, or just AT 220 - these will most likely shift UP today, but we’ll have to wait and see
shape of options curve two days ago vs. today..put premiums were HIGH and call premIums were LOW - So MM can/could make bank
bond mkt oversoldedness two days ago, vs. today (If I ((underscore I) entered TLT in the past couple days, many many others (highest on record) did and that pushed up bond prices, yields down, high beta mega caps love that and we’re seeing it today)
My “Superforecaster” spidey sense tells me this is a short duration relief rally, not the start of an SC rally or new bull wave.
When my left eye-lie twitches by 6:30 am pst, that tells me to sell calls
Starbucks gave me some Holiday Roast and not the Dark Roast I ordered at 05:30 this morning, that ALWAYS means sell calls. Even though I just bought SBUX at $90.85 YESTERDAY - so my year of the dark nectar is covered.
;-0

oh, and the big behemoth AAPL is reporting AH today, and BLS tomorrow.. so both of those things give me pause, and willingness to let some portion of my shares to be taken if need be.

Last edited:
It's based on a conviction as to the direction of the stock, but you are 100% correct, of course

After some years of doing this, and being relatively successful, my future strategy is quite clear, aside holding shares and/or LEAPS:
- when the stock is low, buy calls -> 6 months out seems to be a good timeframe
- sell safe OTM calls as the stock rises
- sell aggressive puts as the stock rises
- when stock reaches a high point, sell ATM calls until they expire OTM
- sell the calls
- buy puts, and repeat the above selling safe puts and aggressive calls on the way back down
- rinse/repeat

If you can do that reasonably well, you'll make money, it's very simple

Needs a little patience though...
There’s a term for this, can’t put my finger on it.. i’m literally spinning my finger round and round in the air and can’t put my finger on it. ;-0

Stronger resistance above vs. near below downside support below
next three weeks of max pain levels, all below 210/220, or just AT 220
shape of options curve two days ago vs. today..put premiums were HIGH and call premIums were LOW - So MM can/could make bank
bond mkt oversoldedness two days ago, vs. today (If I ((underscore I) entered TLT in the past couple days, many many others (highest on record) did and that pushed up bond prices, yields down, high beta mega caps love that and we’re seeing it today)
My “Superforecaster” spidey sense tells me this is a short duration relief rally, not the start of an SC rally or new bull wave.
When my left eye-lie twitches by 6:30 am pst, that tells me to sell calls
Starbucks gave me some Holiday Roast and not the Dark Roast I ordered at 05:30 this morning, that ALWAYS means sell calls. Even though I just bought SBUX at $90.85 YESTERDAY - so my year of the dark nectar is covered.
;-0
I've also decided to err on the side of caution, especially seeing the SP fading a bit into close and with AAPL coming after close -> BTC the -p220's I sold earlier, $1 profit for my troubles on those

After the initial action to get out of the ITM calls earlier and sells some puts, I had time to reflect a bit and realised what a dreadful week I have had. It started with -p220's going dITM, with I bought back for losses and then -c200's going dITM, more losses again. Although I balanced out those losses with other wins, it's still money down the drain

The problem with both positions is that they were too close to the money and gave no time to react and roll

The aggressive puts I wrote earlier are because I'm worried my +p's will go worthless, but this is unlikely, I've worked out that $2 per week premiums against those puts, or $4 against half of then, with a much higher likelihood of either winning the trade or rolling in good time, will be better than continually being beaten-up by volatility every time

So with this in mind, am moving to -p210's for next week instead, far more comfortable

Of course having bought back those puts, the SP broke out of the fade and is rising again :mad:

Last edited: