Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week was very profitable, realised +3% on total portfolio value

In the end went with the same 100x -p172.50 / -c180 for this next week

Also had to roll my NVDA -p1100's, would have left these to the last moment if I could, but was driving, so just rolled them to next week, was a juicy extra $21 for that though, hope NVDA has a better week and they expire, then I'll have 50x +p90's to play with, which is much more flexible

If we subscribe to the theory that the tall walls become moats in a way (i.e., block/slow movement) then for this coming week 6/7 it seems to be sitting @ $170 across all four metrics: GEX/Vanna/Delta/OI:

1717338557251.png

1717338600156.png

Last edited:
👀

More drama (but may be good for IRA…):

Trump, Musk in talks over advisory role for Tesla CEO

Former President Donald Trump and Tesla CEO Elon Musk are discussing a potential advisory role for Musk if Trump wins the 2024 presidential election, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

According to the report, both parties have discussed Musk's influence on policies related to border security and the economy, reflecting their growing alignment on critical issues. Some people with knowledge of the matter told the newspaper that Musk and tycoon Nelson Peltz had briefed Trump on a plan they've developed to invest in a data-driven project to prevent voter fraud.

Additionally, Peltz and Musk informed Trump about an ongoing campaign within elite circles, in which Musk and his political allies are hosting gatherings of influential business leaders nationwide to persuade them not to support President Biden's re-election.

It's nice that Elon knows something about ancient Rome, but I'd rather have a timely software update.

I think you need to carefully draw a payout diagram of this; in almost all cases I can come up with you just increase risk/exposure. It might also help to insert theoretical prices and strikes for what you are thinking.

I have been modeling it using current prices. So I, for instance, just assume the price went up $20 overnight. To do this I take the bid/ask or theoretical price and just adjust the strikes. EG: If TSLA opens $20 higher on Monday, the time to expiration will not have changed much (1 day out of 200). So I modeled what I would do using the prices from the strikes $20 higher. Based on this it appears I can manage the position the way I am considering.

Right now, your 240p is too far OTM to get anywhere unless the SP moves up a lot. Since you want to accumulate anyway, you could bring the strike down by doubling or even tripling the contracts: 1x 1/25 -p240 -> 2x 1/25 -p195 (or maybe 3x 12/24 -p180).

You could also buy shares or LEAPS to cover your 155s as you roll them indefinitely waiting for a pull back, and if they do exercise you can just let them go. Or buy shares/LEAPS and then double your 1/25 -c155 to 2x 12/24 190c. Pair that with -p180 from the paragraph above and your strangle is uninverted.

Or just flip the calls to puts if you want to accumulate and not lose shares.

Good advice, thanks. I am long a lot more stock than I am short calls. So I effectively have that covered. What's new to me is the idea of doubling the contracts to adjust the strike price... that's wise and I hadn't considered that before (though it was recommended to me earlier among other strategies and I didn't quite get it.) Much to think about, thanks!

Reactions: Jim Holder
Fsd 12.4 delayed
Elon getting into hardcare politic
Elon stop hyping TSLA
Our inhouse TA bought PUT spread anticipating a drop
Yoona pointing to exit sign
Gary Black is wrong - Elon has done nothing to pump up the stock since the China FSD.

I got it. Time to bailed out of TSLA ready for a drop…..or stay out till a clearer picture is shown.
I think the picture is pretty clear and you summarized it perfectly. The next six weeks are not going to be good for the stock. Who knows after that.

I think the picture is pretty clear and you summarized it perfectly. The next six weeks are not going to be good for the stock. Who knows after that.
yeah, earnings is coming up soon

1717360720758.png

it's cute to hype up RT/FSD, but 81% of tesla's revenues come from auto; if that line of business is struggling, i'm not sure if AI/FSD/energy/solar/insurance/robot/etc growth is big enough to make up the difference

WS filters out noise by reading directly from the statements, so should we

1717360029672.png

What's new to me is the idea of doubling the contracts to adjust the strike price...
It works great if we’re range-bound and you need to get the strikes up in that range. Roll it up on a green day and profit when we fall back down. But it’s easy to get carried away and cover more shares than you want chasing the SP up - and it will get pretty painful if we go up big after having capped too many shares at a low SP.

One commenter:

“I have been doing something similar to this for a few months now. Play SPX 0DTE calls or puts after 3:15pm. You can get contracts as cheap as .05 and they can run to 5.00 or more on the right days. I usually wait until 3:30 and buy cons ATM. Another way to do this is to buy calls and puts ATM or just out of the money after 3:45. If you buy 1 con each way for say 100 bucks total you could easily make 4-500 profit.”

it's cute to hype up RT/FSD, but 81% of tesla's revenues come from auto; if that line of business is struggling, i'm not sure if AI/FSD/energy/solar/insurance/robot/etc growth is big enough to make up the difference
The comps are going to be bad. They were on a trend towards a ~$4B drop in gross revenue; with Elon back into politics I can easily see another $1B hit to June.

Making any of those business units capable of generating more than $2B revenue is going to be a challenge. The stock is essentially priced as though auto sales are stable and everything else is addative. Reality doesn't seem to match.

The comps are going to be bad. They were on a trend towards a ~$4B drop in gross revenue; with Elon back into politics I can easily see another $1B hit to June.

Making any of those business units capable of generating more than $2B revenue is going to be a challenge. The stock is essentially priced as though auto sales are stable and everything else is addative. Reality doesn't seem to match.
This thread is turning into the bearish version of the other thread that is overly bullish.

The stock is getting priced as though auto sales are stable because they are. China is 17% higher than Q1. US inventory has dropped dramatically since the financing offer. No material price cuts in US. Europe is down but it’s the smallest market of the 3. I was supposed to pick up my Y on this past Saturday but ended up picking it up on Thursday because they called me and begged me to take delivery on a weekday because they’re majorly overbooked on deliveries for Saturday and Sunday.

“Elon back into politics I can easily see another $1B hit to June. ”

Sorry but this is just silly. People letting their overly negative/bearish bias make silly comments. Same as the overly hopium posts by bulls in the other thread. Stock is one surprised positive catalyst or positive earnings surprise form exploding higher in the short term. Likely won’t last or hold with a big pullback but I get the feeling that some here possibly might get wrecked by a breakout 🤷 from being overly bearish positioned

Not saying everyone is rosy and peachy. FSD 12.4 continues to be a no show. It’s now one a half months late. Yes the YoY comp is a very tough one but the YoY comps starting getting much more favorable once Q2 is in the rear view mirror