Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new here (TMC) but not new to TSLA - well probably a lot newer than most here. Started wanting to hodl TSLA shares in Feb, but being a complete newbie to the market, wife and I got scared out of our nice $160 dca position. Spent rest of year attempting to learn the stock, but every time I think I know what will happen next, I lose ;D

Anyway, here because of Yoona ~ followed her on Twitter, then X, and then TMC I guess !

I've now done your standard options day trading (not for me), attempting to swing shares (timing usually bad), and am eyeing spreads as my saving grace. These seem to fit my style, longer timing than day trading, I can follow formulas or best practices to select, can pick to fit my level of risk tolerance. Unfortunately I am only in cash trading atm, and (for some reason that's beyond me) spreads require margin.

If anyone has any advice to offer, I am open to learning more! (Wow does the mkt make "smart" people feel dumb)
NO, spreads IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS

you MUST start at the Rookies phase. THAT IS ADVICE!

1703882458729.png

Hi all, new here (TMC) but not new to TSLA - well probably a lot newer than most here. Started wanting to hodl TSLA shares in Feb, but being a complete newbie to the market, wife and I got scared out of our nice $160 dca position. Spent rest of year attempting to learn the stock, but every time I think I know what will happen next, I lose ;D

Anyway, here because of Yoona ~ followed her on Twitter, then X, and then TMC I guess !

I've now done your standard options day trading (not for me), attempting to swing shares (timing usually bad), and am eyeing spreads as my saving grace. These seem to fit my style, longer timing than day trading, I can follow formulas or best practices to select, can pick to fit my level of risk tolerance. Unfortunately I am only in cash trading atm, and (for some reason that's beyond me) spreads require margin.

If anyone has any advice to offer, I am open to learning more! (Wow does the mkt make "smart" people feel dumb)
Spreads are a minefield littered with traps that a novice is guaranteed to step on

Planning to buy back the 2/23/24 10x -C265 sold at $18.6, when we get to $11 or lower. May do 7 buy back, and wait a tad. Premium has cratered nearly 50% in a DAY.

I think we’ll get another chance to run this game next week possibly lower strike, higher Premium or same strike again, most likely Tuesday 1/2/24
couldn‘t get the number, they made me work for it.. took $11.40 right at the end. Whew, we’ll play this game again next week/year.

time for two fingers of peaty fermented grain - I know, it’s EARLY for new years. end of year is always a good time to REFLECT, RENEW, RECHARGE

Great year folks, let’s do this again sometime soon.

so we ended 2023 right where we were in Nov 29, at the 50% fib

what a waste of a month :mad:

View attachment 1004182

Unless you mean a waste of a month for the stock's progress overall, that's only for those who just HODL and didn't scalp the volatility :cool:

This December was one of my best months this year in absolute gains. And you killed it like a boss too!

BTW TSLA is today at about the same spot it was when it was added to the S&P on December 21, 2020 (~$240 split adjusted). Now that's maddening!

Cheers to all and wonderful playing at the table with everyone here!

Here's to more and better for all of us in 2024 with all we've learned and gone through together.

Happy new year!

🍻

Last edited:
NO, spreads IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS

you MUST start at the Rookies phase. THAT IS ADVICE!

But something like a vertical credit spread is such a defined rvr? Start with HTF charting to find support/resistance levels, check out your deltas on the side you want to play, check expected move for confirmation, then possibly go further out than that.
I have done the weekly CC/CSP, but not the other two so I will give them some study.

What kind of boring ... particular % OTA or delta or predetermined price ?
I am an amateur playing scales while many here are virtuosos - definitely not investment advice.
I recently switched to monthlies (from weeklies) around mid 2023

For my tax-free IRA account:
I set 25% of my assets with strikes ATM or $10 OTM
and 75% of my assets with strikes $30 OTM

For my taxable account:
I set 50% with strikes at $30 OTM
and 50% with strikes at $60 OTM

I have a 3rd Investment Account with low basis (cost) TSLA shares where I don't write options.

These are not set in stone. At times I sit on my hands and do nothing and there are times I will change my strike price or duration approach based on upcoming news or due to a recent drop or run in the stock price or based on what I am hearing from the people in this thread.

I have a 3rd Investment Account with low basis (cost) TSLA shares where I don't write options.

These are not set in stone. At times I sit on my hands and do nothing and there are times I will change my strike price or duration approach based on upcoming news or due to a recent drop or run in the stock price or based on what I am hearing from the people in this thread.
Patience is not inaction.

View attachment 1004191Tesla just dropped sell side analyst delivery consensus (480,483)
Im just going to go out on a limb here, but if Tesla actually come out with a ~ 20% projection for next year P or D growth, well Katie bar the door..I know, not till later in Jan, but still it won’t be well received. It’s REALISTIC, but not what FOMO, MOMO, growth managers or retail is hoping for.

for 2024, I would consider it SOLID, but still it’s going essentially nowhere, and will be seen as HALF the prior years growth and a DE-celeration for sure. If not for realz, for at least perception and perception is reality as far as the stock is concerned.

disclaimer: I’m down an inch.