Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank Yoona and the team for keeping the forum active and educated.

My dog guess for next week 235-255? Why? The ceiling this week was 265 and the fallback was steep. 260 seem to be the wall afterward as prior week. 235 was based on hive sentiment. 255 since dog dont see why we are going pump next week. Leaves some room for rolling just in case.

Not financial advice. Don't follow. Im wrong most of the times. Just dog on pee break clearing his mind so he can pee straight.

edit - was planning to do long put like some of the team here is betting, but never has luck with going long. Next best thing is to do BCS which is safer IMO and I have had better luck with those. The BPS side is basically to balance into an ICs and reduced Margin and Risk. That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBooster
i think next week 1/5 222.22-274.74 is safe for Iron Condor, it is only 10.56% OTM, though

15% OTM is 211.21-285.75
I've started using delta as the proxy for probability. Somewhere around 10% (so, expect about 5 failed option sales a year) - which would be somewhere between 1 & 2 sigma.

My dog guess for next week 235-255? Why? The ceiling this week was 265 and the fallback was steep. 260 seem to be the wall afterward as prior week. 235 was based on hive sentiment. 255 since dog dont see why we are going pump next week. Leaves some room for rolling just in case.
You are completely ignoring P&D. What is Tesla posts 510k ... that will "surely" pump up SP. 255 is just too close given 248 close yesterday.

i think next week 1/5 222.22-274.74 is safe for Iron Condor, it is only 10.56% OTM, though

15% OTM is 211.21-285.75

perhaps tighter guess tentative for now ~235-261

due to P&D and JOLTs, all bets are off

options chain guessing 235-265ish

if P&D is bad, we'll probably touch low 240's next week

View attachment 1004327
View attachment 1004328
View attachment 1004329
View attachment 1004337
View attachment 1004333
View attachment 1004338
View attachment 1004335
View attachment 1004336
Thank you ☺️

I've started using delta as the proxy for probability. Somewhere around 10% (so, expect about 5 failed option sales a year) - which would be somewhere between 1 & 2 sigma.

You are completely ignoring P&D. What is Tesla posts 510k ... that will "surely" pump up SP. 255 is just too close given 248 close yesterday.
Not ignoring. Just expecting it wont make a dent in driving up the SP.

Maybe wrong but it a single contract bet.

We'll see my friend ;)

Not ignoring. Just expecting it wont make a dent in driving up the SP.

Maybe wrong but it a single contract bet.

We'll see my friend ;)
It has taken me 10 years, but I think this is the first "event" where I don't have lots of contracts. No CCs. I've been burned too many times. I hope your one contract is enough of a sacrifice to move the SP....

Noob me turned a -$423k negative roll from poorly designed short calls (June run ran over a bunch of stupid staggered weeks I thought was very clever and had to park them far away until the run finished) to a -$52k negative loss as of today and hoping to clear that off by the EOY in the next 8 trading days as well if possible. Also added around 800 shares and withdrew around $120k in gains (IMO important to do that too), mostly with internal gains (BTC short calls at lows/STC short puts and long calls at tops). I ABSOLUTLY couldn't have done this without the great family here ❤️

Well, mission accomplished and a massive proof of the team's powerful force here at TMC!

I'm ending the year having offset a -$423k negative gain with a +$421k win from internal gains, mainly through scalping short calls/puts and selling commons at/near tops and buying them back plus adding new ones cheaper at/near lows (no I'm not that great at timing tops and bottoms, I got lucky because of the excellent info from the family here at TMC and yes, TSLA's infamous volatility).

Some of the big wins were the @MikeC June CC's Rescue Special of STO 60x -C500 12/2025 (STO @~SP$275 and BTC ~SP$200 for around $150k+ in gains) and other positions; and the @Max Plaid Straddle Special once I BTC the 60x -C500 12/2025, of STO 25x -P290 9/24 + 25x -C300 9/24. One side of the straddle will be OTM at expiry, then can re-write at better strikes, or the SP moves decisively in one direction long before expiry and can adjust appropriately. If the SP marched up toward $300, can BTC the puts and roll the calls up and out, or roll the whole straddle for gains (this one I STO the -P290 @~SP$220, and BTC ~SP$263 for around $48k in gains); and similar scalps.

I found my core and consistent mainstay was scaling into weekly CC's on 30% of my longs and riding the inevitable mid-day and mid-week fades where I'd BTC at or near lows—Oct-Dec was super great for this this year—and then roundtrip them again (the chance to roundtrip didn't always come, sometimes the SP kept going lower but that was less than 25% of the times). Also, I've learned my lesson and never bet the house selling CC's on all my longs. I was most successful when I controlled myself and stayed conservative and was rewarded with consistent money week after week, which filled the gaps between the large wins from the huge moves that come just 2-3x a year, where I keep a larger qty of contracts.

In the coming year I plan to continue the same methods that I found worked for me the best: Keeping some decent sized NTM/ITM -C and -P positions with a DTE a year or so out in order to capture the big swings that bi-polar TSLA is bound to give us (BTC the winning side and rolling the losing side), and scalping weeklies using GEX/TA and the great hive mind here at TMC as a guide.

Leaving 2023 with a $0.00 tax liability while freeing myself of the rescue short calls for which I would have had to pay taxes on the gains in the future year I would have bought to close them (is that how it works, having to pay taxes on those gains then?), plus increasing my share count by around 800 new TSLA shares, and even managing to pull out around $135,000 to the bank from internal gains during all the learning and turmoil is certainly beyond my wildest expectations for a rank noob!

I am thankful to all of you for everything you've shared and taught that made this possible.

Happy new year and may we all rock the house in 2024!

🥇

June 2023

01.jpg

End of Year 2023

EOY.jpg

Last edited:
It has taken me 10 years, but I think this is the first "event" where I don't have lots of contracts. No CCs. I've been burned too many times. I hope your one contract is enough of a sacrifice to move the SP....
I hope so too. Doggy representing the homies here ;)

If Im wrong and we goes to the Moon - I’m happy to sacrifice the contract for the benefits of all.

Thank you all for the educations and a wonderful 2023, and for putting up with all the crazy posts from the Silly Dog.

Have a wonderful New Year. See you all in 2024 and we goto the Moon together :)

In the “other” thread, ZaddyDaddy has IMO a sensible post that’s worth cross-posting here as food for thought as we plan our trades for 2024:

Zaddy's Year In Review

A year ago I joined I finally started contributing to this forum as long term bull who was realizing people were ignoring short term signals of lower earnings.

I earned many, many disagrees on posts like this pointing out how earnings would be much lower in 2023 than people were expecting.

Earnings for 2023 are going to end up around $3. Much lower than people were expecting a year ago.

The idea that COGs were going to reduce in line with price cuts was a joke a year ago and I hope people have finally accepted that reality.

ASPs have been cut further and for longer than even I was expecting.

I was also hoping Tesla Energy growth would be higher than it was - but still margins are looking promising.

Given all this, the stock performance has been outstanding.

What To Expect in 2024

Unfortunately, its still possible further price cuts are needed in 2024.

Reason #1: Used Tesla car prices have started declining again after flatlining in November

GCd8GembMAAVrXZ.jpeg

Reason #2: Even with the Model 3 tax credit going away (allegedly), Tesla has been cutting inventory prices on both Model Y and 3. You would think the EV credit ending would stimulate demand for Model 3, but nope.

Reason #3. No tax credit for Model 3 in 2024. If true, this is a killer for Model 3 margins. People who were buying the cheaper Model 3s this year won't have anything to buy in their price target. Model Y's will certainly be preferred. If Tesla can produce more Model Y's that would be great, but model 3 production lines will loose economies of scale.

So for right now, I certainly expect automotive Q1 2024 earnings to be even worse than Q4 (which could be worse than Q3).

Automotive earnings declining again and again.... Not good.

(btw please don't lazily claim I'm a bear because I'm pointing out very relevant information, do better).

Model 3 highland refresh should boost demand a bit, but I don't think it overcomes a $7500 loss in credit for consumers. No proof COGs are dramatically reduced in highland.

Given Elon's comments about V12 performance in a somewhat obvious occurrence (heavy precipitation), it is nowhere near robotaxi level. Advanced L2 will be delivered in 2024 but that's not enough to boost margins signficantly.

Positives for 2nd half of 2024

I still think margins have to hit a minimum Q1 or Q2 in 2024. Interest rates steadying and lowering a bit should help some with this.

Energy revenue will double quarterly and profits may contribute $0.3 in a quarter.

Cybertruck at volume production in Q3 or Q4 could provide $0.25 in a quarter.

I think Bot will produce revenue (or reduced costs) for Tesla before robotaxis - further demonstration of it's useful capabilities in 2024 may allow institutions to model it in future growth.

I do expect in a year from now for quarterly earnings to be back over $1 thus high growth from what will come out of this pathetic 2023 Q4.

A forward PE ratio of 60 on 2025 earnings (say $5 - $6) could bring $300 to $350 before end of next year. But this will happen when the market realizes the positives I've laid out will happen. I'm not seeing that right now nor after Q4 earnings for sure. Maybe Q1 or more likely Q2 earnings.

So my stock predictions are:

On top of a macro correction in next 2 months pushing it down with everything else (after big boost from FOMC meetings), Tesla will correct down after Q1 earnings. Maybe get as low as $180 to $190 (just looking at 6 month support lines).

It will then go back up to mid $200s (like $240), and oscillate around there until market finally realizes changes in future earnings and it moves out of the channel upwards.

I predict it will break $300 in the summer of 2024.

In the “other” thread, ZaddyDaddy has IMO a sensible post that’s worth cross-posting here as food for thought as we plan our trades for 2024:
I think Zaddy is missing 2 things:

1. If there is a Gen 3 car reveal, I expect to see share price upgrades by analysts. The model Y started deliveries 10 months after reveal. I wouldn't be surprised to see deliveries of Gen 3 within 6 months of reveal. Most analysts will have to update their valuation models if there is a reveal.
2. If interest rates start to come down, we'll see the EV transition play continue/accelerate and the flat-footed OEMs who hit pause on EV production will watch Tesla gobble up market share.

These 2 points, if they occur, impact the TSLA shares in the 2nd half of the year, imo
I will be more aggressive with option trades in the 1st half of the year and then look to play it safer as conditions change in the 2nd half.
Of course always mindful of the usual events such as P&D, earnings, Fed decisions, etc. and if early evidence arrives showing no soft landing.

I find it interesting to see for this coming Friday's expiration (1/5/24) $265 became the largest +GEX, +most overall OI, +largest call OI 👀
$240 is the largest put strike, +absGEX, + most put OI

Is that a hint we may be drawn up toward $265 or just hover the middle @ around $250?
My sense is we are likely to be range-bound there until earnings. Deliveries won't have excessive impact on the stock price if we are +/- 15k from the 1.8 million number. We know we are going to lose out on 6.5k for the Australian shipment, so to me there is greater likelihood of a small down-side.

1. If there is a Gen 3 car reveal, I expect to see share price upgrades by analysts. The model Y started deliveries 10 months after reveal. I wouldn't be surprised to see deliveries of Gen 3 within 6 months of reveal. Most analysts will have to update their valuation models if there is a reveal.
But what are the chances of this in 2024 ?

I expect Tesla to hold out a reveal as long as they can - as you say 6 months from production. So, unless Tesla is ready to produce Gen 2 by mid-2025, there won't be a reveal in 2024.

1. is only relevant if there was an impact on stock price of the Model Y reveal.
SP dropped like a rock after Y reveal I cemented my 7 figure options loss :(

But what are the chances of this in 2024 ?

I expect Tesla to hold out a reveal as long as they can - as you say 6 months from production. So, unless Tesla is ready to produce Gen 2 by mid-2025, there won't be a reveal in 2024.
I think it is less than 50% . . . maybe 25%. In my experience with new line installs, when you start to design the mfg line, the product's design and engineering are pretty far along.

From Issacson's book, Elon started working on the line design this past Summer. Perhaps the line is ready early Q2 2025. That would give them >21 months to complete design, engineer, install and validation of the new line. Even if it not likely for a 2024 reveal, I still believe it needs to be considered a possibility.

1704050840464.png

Anyone started buying long put or spread as Wicked Stock indicated we may go down to 180/170 in the comings week if the downtrend continues. Figure since IV are low the Puts are cheaper.

Maynot not buy Long but I’ve seen others already selling Call anticipating the dump as well.

Same goal but Selling Call is safer minus less rewards.

Reactions: DaBooster
Anyone started buying long put or spread as Wicked Stock indicated we may go down to 180/170 in the comings week if the downtrend continues. Figure since IV are low the Puts are cheaper.

Maynot not buy Long but I’ve seen others already selling Call anticipating the dump as well.

It’s not likely going to be a straight line down, it may fill out the wedge FYI.

I bought some March '24 200p when SP was at 257