Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 1061856

My first roll ever. Just want to run it by you to make sure I understand correctly what I did. I rolled it about a year out for greater than $500 credit. It's about 40% above the call I bought back, so same as a guaranteed 40% gain, if I had left the exercised 212.5 C in cash for a whole year? Considering if TSLA is at or above $300 by 06/20/2025.
Well, you kind of had to do something but yes well added a whole TON of Theta.. it’ll take a lot of downside move to take off extrinsic value in that 2025 option. So, a bit more mgmt of the position and depending on if it’s -cc restricts a lot of ability to sell opportunistically over the next 12 months. If we get some high delta moves for whatever reason, I’d keep in mind to exit it is possible for a SMALL win in order to have MORE small wins over the next 12 months.

YMMV
NFA

Last edited:
View attachment 1061856

My first roll ever. Just want to run it by you to make sure I understand correctly what I did. I rolled it about a year out for greater than $500 credit. It's about 40% above the call I bought back, so same as a guaranteed 40% gain, if I had left the exercised 212.5 C in cash for a whole year? Considering if TSLA is at or above $300 by 06/20/2025.
Rolling positions is step #1 in position mgmt,

Taking and booking losses when needed is step #2, but a long way from step #1 in personal development.. ;-0

Reactions: AM21 and UncaNed
Seem no one want to cash out to buy fireworks and they call themselves Patriots.

What a day folk.

1720026114921.png

That’s a nice trade… going to have to look at these lofty 2026 premiums.

Yeh and delta is 0.57 on them which makes them mooooov 💨

Personally I would've added more on the upticks today, plus if we get another push, but it'll be playing with fire since for me since all my longs are already spoken for in other CC's (various states of good and lousy) so I practice restraint for now (inaction is also action...blah blah blah).

A dip soon to any of the circled red would be sweet, but I don't think the degenerate dip-buyers would let TSLA enjoy a down tick before BTD, let alone a $25+ move...

1720027413587.png

Reactions: thenewguy1979
Willing to have that debate..

At least it wasn’t just the Knightshade avatar, so props.
Rolling to me is a last resort just to avoid taking a loss. By waiting until your strike is threatened or passed, you’re closing it at a relative high and then deleveraging into a farther exp and a higher strike. More often than not, you’ll miss the retracement and then be stuck with the new position.

Rolling is a good move if you know the stock is going up for sure - but if you’re that confident it’s even better to just close the position and reopen it at a higher SP.

Yeh and delta is 0.57 on them which makes them mooooov 💨

Personally I would've added more on the upticks today, plus if we get another push, but it'll be playing with fire since for me since all my longs are already spoken for in other CC's (various states of good and lousy) so I practice restraint for now (inaction is also action...blah blah blah).

A dip soon to any of the circled red would be sweet, but I don't think the degenerate dip-buyers would let TSLA enjoy a down tick before BTD, let alone a $25+ move...

View attachment 1061879

Got to look up what "BTD" mean

1720027916816.png

1720028187147.png

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
Then we eventually get the 3rd leg (down I suppose) and everyone who positioned for it and is still alive and in the game can exhale.
With $VIX circling 12, nobody is positioned for a downside move of any magnitude, but with $0DTE at 11, it indicates that ppl ARE positioned for VOL, it will be interesting to see what transpires at 05:30 PST on Friday AM… it’s a full day, but so many ppl are “quiet vacationing” or traveling or enjoying life that asymmetric strange moves can and often DO occur.

But then again, we often end with all indices at 0.001% change.

Happy start of Independence Day America.

Last edited:
Rolling is a good move if you know the stock is going up for sure - but if you’re that confident it’s even better to just close the position and reopen it at a higher SP.

I was trying to make this point earlier. After a stormy $55+ dollar run in a few days, dunno how much we can count on severe continuation higher (though, of course, anything can happen) thus the risk is to the downside now IMO (although I and many others thought that at 220 and 230 😀).

Which means selling short calls here at a potential mid-term top, is more prudent here vs. closing ITM short calls (if one can wait) or buying new long LEAPS. But I wouldn't CLOSE short calls up here for a loss if I could avoid it. Now if we close the week over $250 then that's a different story.

In my case, I STO today 12x -C360 12/2026 @63.80 to leverage a downside move to create gains to help BTC other lousy CC's down below. It may or not work. But I sure will wait as much as I can this time nearer to the expiration date before closing them. Too many times I panic-BTC early only to see the SP drop precipitously soon thereafter. Had that happen recently at the first stab at 198, cost me $20k and SP ended up well below the strike 2-3 weeks later had I waited.

Last edited:
Reactions: tivoboy
@SpeedyEddy Hey, just checking in how you're doing. Been a while.

View attachment 1057498
Thank you for thinking about me. I had a long holiday in which I found out that I have spent too much time on things that do not bring me so much, like trading day-in/day-out and posting the things I do (and almost nobody caring about that), so I am in lower gear now, but not totally gone away.
@tsla was getting boring as a stock as well, so now that it's getting attention I will be more active.
Main holdings is Palantir (which did allright earlier on)
Main paper gains are on TSLA *(since I got back in from $144 up)
Guess I am gonna hold on to all of it and maybe roll some '26 -P and + C to "higher multiples" to get more skin in and out of $TSLA's game.
Still no shares. Only DITM -P and +C so bullish exposure. On a (hopefully far away) turning point I will go more safe. For now, great gains on well-chosen positions just have to keep rolling. Still making bets on MSTR since I got back from Holidays, but absolutely not daily.
Furthermore some intrest in
(bullish)
MSTR (shares)
NVO (+C)
PYPL (shares)
Sofi (both)
Tomra (shares)
MAIA (shares)
PHYS (=gold) shares)

(bearish)
GM (options)