Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold more 9/17 BPS 690/590 for $5. Couldn't resist that premium with a 95% POP.
That's quite a chunk of premium, exactly the brand of BPS I want to start dipping my toes in.

Mind if I ask what kind of cash I would need sitting in an IRA(spread eligible) to cover a trade like this?
Also, what's the worst case scenario look like if the world imploded and TSLA goes to $650 or $550 next Thursday?

I am loving this Friday afternoon price action from an options selling perspective. I don't see any reason for this dip other than the usual max pain type movement on low volume. I was going to avoid selling calls for next week anyways, and now the puts are looking very nice. I am going sell some BPS with the sold prices at $720 and 700 probably - I'll probably wait a little longer to see where the bottom will be (?735/740).

Reactions: InTheShadows
That's quite a chunk of premium, exactly the brand of BPS I want to start dipping my toes in.

Mind if I ask what kind of cash I would need sitting in an IRA(spread eligible) to cover a trade like this?
Also, what's the worst case scenario look like if the world imploded and TSLA goes to $650 or $550 next Thursday?
Buying power required for spreads is (spread width - premium) * 100, so ($100-$5) * 100 = $9500

The spread is a gradient of loss, so at 650, the lost would be ~9500/2, at 550 it would be full loss of $9500

Max risk: $10,525.00 at TSLA$580.00 (if you didn't manage).

Max Pain tractor beam activated.
Damn those MMs. I just rage bought more shares (13 total this week), running down my free cash to less than $1000 in one ALL accounts. I’m trying to build up cash for buyback/rolls and peace of mind. Just can’t let this drop go unanswered. Good news, however, is that I only need 15 shares more in that account to round out and allow an additional CC.

Edit: Damn it , I should have waited on buying back c755s. Definitely left several $3k on the table there. Edit: bought more shares at the bell. Overall a very good options week, clearing 4-5x my weekly living expenses).

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying power required for spreads is (spread width - premium) * 100, so ($100-$5) * 100 = $9500

The spread is a gradient of loss, so at 650, the lost would be ~9500/2, at 550 it would be full loss of $9500

Max risk: $10,525.00 at TSLA$580.00 (if you didn't manage).
Thank you both. I will endeavor to answer my own questions when time is not of the essence. Long live the wheel thread!

Reactions: UltradoomY