Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:p I end up buying 12/24 c580s to follow Frank's trade and I also bought some January c700s. I am officially done buying calls for the S&P inclusion. If we get a squeeze for instance to $800-700 what would you guys do with your shares? I think if I could get $200 for some January 23 c1000s I would sell some of them. I would also sell my other DITM options and maybe stay cash with those and sell puts.. decisions decisions

I don't have my own plan yet for how the post inclusion will go. I am keeping an eye on some long duration covered calls as I think we can sell those at a relatively high IV and share price (something like what you mentioned).

Beyond that - I suspect I won't be selling puts immediately after. I do expect the share price to at least drift back down post inclusion. If the spike is high enough, then I'll consider buying some puts - that'll be a hard bridge for me to cross though.

• Helpful
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I sold my 12/11 $800 calls that I bought Friday strictly as a learning experience - and even I made a 12% gain. I consider that a win since there is just so much possible red on the other side of these short term DEEP OTM calls, and that curve is steep. For example, even if the SP went to $550 today and stayed there, by next Monday I would already be in the red -50%.

I'm keeping my Jan 15th $700 calls for now since they have a lot more breathing room, and of course my LEAPs. But I definitely like being on the sell side of these with theta working for me rather than against me.
800-dec-call.gif

This thread has become a call buying thread the last week or 2. I know I'm a primary source for that, and I even think there are good reasons for that (my own call buying positions says I believe that).

However, in a return to the days of yore when I sold options for a bit of income, I realized this morning that I had some cash that I COULD use to buy more calls (I'm running out of that :D), but I wasn't going to. But I could use that to open a weekly put sale. And while I've otherwise stopped working weekly puts, I also know that I'll be watching price changes daily for at least the next month, so I can monitor a weekly put position as well, basically for free (time and energy that is).

So I sold December 4 500 puts today for $6. I am almost 100% confident I can make more with that money by purchasing calls. But it's that little sliver of doubt, plus a need to keep that cash pretty quickly available, plus the realization that I have enough purchased calls, that has me collecting income money on that bit of cash.

As aggressive as that strike price is, the position is already ahead 15% or so.

Lesson of the day - double check that account you're buying or selling in. Fidelity at least defaults to my brokerage account for any new trades, making it easy to open new positions in the brokerage account instead of the Roth or some other account.

Today's reminder of this lesson will earn me $100 on the round trip of opening in the wrong account, realizing the error, and immediately closing the position (including the double commission, not including any margin interest I might get charged for a 30 minute margin position). That could have gone very differently of course. The last lesson on this topic cost me about $100 - maybe repetition will help.

EDIT: Actually this error cost me more like $2k between the entry price in the wrong account to the entry price in the right account. That one in and out transaction though - that was profitable!

Welp, I closed out the fat-fingered call for a loss, and am letting the $540 one go till expiration. :eek: Got my price I'm happy at, and can easily pay the taxes and still get my car with that. My Tesla delivery window got pushed back again, so I'll probably sell a cash covered Put on Monday for 4 Dec $540 :p Think this steam roller will just keep trucking, and it'll be safe!

With the expectation that MM's will keep the SP below $550 for this Friday, I've sold 12 CCs for this Friday at $570 strike pocketing about $5k of cash. Fingers crossed and TSLA goes up to $565. That would be a big fat WIN! :D

Wow very interesting play. Even though I think MMs will target a close < 550 I don’t think I want to be selling any covered calls.

This thread has become a call buying thread the last week or 2. I know I'm a primary source for that, and I even think there are good reasons for that (my own call buying positions says I believe that).

However, in a return to the days of yore when I sold options for a bit of income, I realized this morning that I had some cash that I COULD use to buy more calls (I'm running out of that :D), but I wasn't going to. But I could use that to open a weekly put sale. And while I've otherwise stopped working weekly puts, I also know that I'll be watching price changes daily for at least the next month, so I can monitor a weekly put position as well, basically for free (time and energy that is).

So I sold December 4 500 puts today for $6. I am almost 100% confident I can make more with that money by purchasing calls. But it's that little sliver of doubt, plus a need to keep that cash pretty quickly available, plus the realization that I have enough purchased calls, that has me collecting income money on that bit of cash.

As aggressive as that strike price is, the position is already ahead 15% or so.

Lesson of the day - double check that account you're buying or selling in. Fidelity at least defaults to my brokerage account for any new trades, making it easy to open new positions in the brokerage account instead of the Roth or some other account.

Today's reminder of this lesson will earn me $100 on the round trip of opening in the wrong account, realizing the error, and immediately closing the position (including the double commission, not including any margin interest I might get charged for a 30 minute margin position). That could have gone very differently of course. The last lesson on this topic cost me about $100 - maybe repetition will help.

EDIT: Actually this error cost me more like $2k between the entry price in the wrong account to the entry price in the right account. That one in and out transaction though - that was profitable!
I’ve bought on wrong account so many times and not realizing going into margins. Saving grace is that I usually buy after a bunch of down days. So far the mistakes have been nice profits. The lessons of linked accounts without Tripple checks.
I now have two calls purchased for learning and betting on the SP500 inclusion rise: 600 12/24 and 700 12/31. Wish I bought more but didn’t know what I was doing last week with options.
Holding off the wheel strategy until post event.

With the expectation that MM's will keep the SP below $550 for this Friday, I've sold 12 CCs for this Friday at $570 strike pocketing about $5k of cash. Fingers crossed and TSLA goes up to $565. That would be a big fat WIN! :D

That's at trade that I am to chicken to take :oops:

The 12/24 $560 calls I purchased are now in the money and up over 350%. Plan was to hold them till the 21st to see what the action is on inclusion day but damn...it's tempting to cash out.

The 600s that I got are up 6x.... the amount of money that I put on the inclusion trade is so pitiful that I am really upset with myself. I guess there is always a next time.

IV seems to be moving in the right direction. I assume next week we will be in 90%.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
The 600s that I got are up 6x.... the amount of money that I put on the inclusion trade is so pitiful that I am really upset with myself. I guess there is always a next time.

IV seems to be moving in the right direction. I assume next week we will be in 90%.

Well, you think:

- You didn't put enough money on this inclusion
- IV is still low compared to next week.

So what are you waiting for? Lever up if that's what works for you! :)

My Jan15'21 720c is up 118% today... I have more time to watch than you, and I'm going to do so occasionally as we near the first (or only) tranche of S&P buying early Dec. Whether I sell or not then will probably be a pure gut-feeling kinda event...

I'm liking the performance of the 15JAN'21 720c so far - 5x so far (opened at $5.23, currently at $28).... I think I like the story Emmet Peppers tells about the chances of this becoming a 10x or 20x call..... fingers continue to be firmly crossed!

Good luck to all.

Here's a thought .... maybe "next time" is right now?

Ignore what you've already done and the position you're already in. Given the market situation as you understand it today, and option(s) that you would purchase (timing, strike, premium), is the inclusion trade done in your mind and you're just riding out what you've already got positioned (which would be nothing in this thought process :D)?

Or do you still see desirable entry(s) for the inclusion trade?

They might not be AS good as what you already have, but you also know more now than you knew then.

So maybe your "next time" for something like this inclusion trade opportunity is right now. (And maybe it isn't either).

I opened some initial positions the morning after the inclusion announcement. It was hard opening additional positions the day or 2 after that, but I did as I still saw significant opportunity. Those positions are up (not as much as if I'd gotten them immediately, but enough on their own to be worthwhile even without the first round of positions). And I'm plotting my next inclusion purchases as well (thinking Friday as I think it'll be a down day - the pause that refreshes if you will).

not advice of course - just an idea for your to consider.

This morning I sold all the LEAPs and bought more near term OTM call options:

12/24/2020 700 C
12/31/2020 750 C
1/15/2021 600 C
1/15/2021 800 C
1/19/2021 600 C

My leverage is effectively 4x, so on today’s 2.5% rise i see a 10% rise in the portfolio

Not advice. My risk tolerance (and appetite) is extremely high at the moment, but this still seems to be a no-brainer

Well, you think:

- You didn't put enough money on this inclusion
- IV is still low compared to next week.

So what are you waiting for? Lever up if that's what works for you! :)

Here's a thought .... maybe "next time" is right now?

Ignore what you've already done and the position you're already in. Given the market situation as you understand it today, and option(s) that you would purchase (timing, strike, premium), is the inclusion trade done in your mind and you're just riding out what you've already got positioned (which would be nothing in this thought process :D)?

Or do you still see desirable entry(s) for the inclusion trade?

They might not be AS good as what you already have, but you also know more now than you knew then.

So maybe your "next time" for something like this inclusion trade opportunity is right now. (And maybe it isn't either).

I opened some initial positions the morning after the inclusion announcement. It was hard opening additional positions the day or 2 after that, but I did as I still saw significant opportunity. Those positions are up (not as much as if I'd gotten them immediately, but enough on their own to be worthwhile even without the first round of positions). And I'm plotting my next inclusion purchases as well (thinking Friday as I think it'll be a down day - the pause that refreshes if you will).

not advice of course - just an idea for your to consider.

thanks for the advice non advice :p. I really love this forum.