Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to be a bit smarter in 2022, which shouldn't be difficult!
Same for me.

Worst things done this year (so far):
1. started with ~1m. totally f'ed up the rally to 550 -> low of 78k (while moving money out of stocks into real estate for my wife) => 90% down
2. rebounded HARD with the rally to 1240. topped at 2.4m. Down to 650k at the lows yesterday. EVEN THOUGH 500k are in various ARK ETFs introduced as a security measure against (1)! => 75% down
3. rebounded today to 1.15m in the high side.

I promise next year i will be smarter and not that degenerate to gamble my future away .. -.-

I think i am not that good at trading.. i mean .. i win big & then lose big. OTOH the downsides seem to increase as well.. ;)

I converted my IRA shares into a bit more DITMs LEAPs (similar total delta exposure) and will be using the relatively decent chunk of cash left over to sell BPS now that my IRA is in an account that allows spreads.

Will also sell ~20% OTM weekly calls against the LEAPs which should at least pay off the marginal time cost I paid for em since again I'm finally in an IRA that allows selling calls against other calls.

BTW curious for anyone who does anything similar to my above....

How much (if any) cash should be left on the sidelines to handle weirdness, since you can't dump significant cash into an IRA in an emergency?

Just starting out on this roughly 55% of account value is in the LEAPs.... of the 45% that was then in cash I used about half that to back -900/+800 12/31 put spreads at roughly $4/sh- with the other half kept in reserve since it's my first time doing this in an IRA.

Is that leaving too much cash doing nothing? Not enough?

Reactions: UltradoomY
On the big jump today I entered 1100 strike cc for 12/31 - about $7.

My thinking is that if needed I'll roll for a better strike and I should be able to roll to 1200 or 1250 (ATH territory) pretty easily. And if this turns out to be a head fake then I've got a bit in play.

Nothing open on the put side. If this isn't a head fake then I'll be missing out on some put premium as the shares are rising. I'm ok with that. I would need to be at the 900 strike for next week for the premium to be more than trivial and that is too close for me right now. I think I'll need to see another visit to $900 share price and bounce off of that to feel like 900 is really a solid support.

Is the jan 28 (originally 1050) now at 1100? Trying to understand the roll aspect, is it no longer a calendar spread if left at 1050?
no. The short 1050 for dec 31 got moved to jan 7 1100 for a small credit. It is now a diagonal spread instead of a calendar/horizontal spread :)

Idea is to start horizontal and then stay horizontal for as long as sensible. If SP rises, then diagonalize up until the short either expire or you end up with a vertical that you then handle like a "normal" spread and take profits at the end.

The horizontal -> diagonal -> vertical route on the short call captures way more premium on the way if SP stays level or rises, but loses more, if SP goes below the chosen strike at the further expiration.

no. The short 1050 for dec 31 got moved to jan 7 1100 for a small credit. It is now a diagonal spread instead of a calendar/horizontal spread :)

Idea is to start horizontal and then stay horizontal for as long as sensible. If SP rises, then diagonalize up until the short either expire or you end up with a vertical that you then handle like a "normal" spread and take profits at the end.

The horizontal -> diagonal -> vertical route on the short call captures way more premium on the way if SP stays level or rises, but loses more, if SP goes below the chosen strike at the further expiration.
Having a long position to support several covered calls, couldn't i sell a call and keep rolling similarly to capture the credit? i save the premium paid for the long call.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Unfortunately, the wheel will not work for you, as the main part is taking assignments of both calls and puts.
Taking assignment of one call option will trigger your taxes, so that is a no-go.
This is not exactly true.

If you set LIFO tax lot order on your account, you can make sure only the latest shares get sold and the low cost basis shares remain untouched and do not trigger taxes.

Was looking at something like this, but decided to hold off till next tranche sell day. I don't think it's today as one went just yesterday.
I'd be surprised to see a sale tomorrow, then next week I'd be looking for a "Santa Rally" plus P&D FOMO, which should balance out any sells - a bit like we saw yesterday, the market knows it's ending and the hedges stopped front-running it

I'm sitting on Jan 07 800/700 and 850/700 BPS, which I am a bit worried about.
Elon has ~6.3M options he probably will exercise this year. That works out to three more ~2.1 million exercises, probably each paired with 934091 sells.
My best guess is tomorrow + twice next week. How is the volume usually during this time of the year? My fear is that it will coincide with some bad macros and low volume and really push us down.
I think (and hope) that if it falls hard, it will recover hard as well, so a week into the new year might be fine.

STO -$980 / +$780 for January 7th - @$44 each earlier today - already up 15%
Felt safe since HF's and MM's stopped with the front running Elon (indicated yesterday)
Nice little EOY trade.
Still have plenty to do next week - Rolled my Buy/Write to $970 from $945 for a $3 credit and the difference in share price and looking to have assigned before EOY.
Closed my 970/770 for 90% today
Closed my I dare you CC's $950 sold for a negative $3 each yesterday - overall a $2 profit each.
Still looking for Leaps!

Total for the year I am up 165% on the portfolio from trading options learned in this thread! (still no presents for anyone but many donations to charity)
Looking for better than that next year but would still be happy with the same results.