Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling volatility would be a better term in my opinion than "selling options" (or buying)

I couldn't agree more! Sucker money sells theta. (MM's love them). Smart money sells volatility.

disclosure - for me, I rate an IV over 60 to be high and over 80 to be very high.

Certainly everyone's analysis and assessments are all different, but you may want to study more dynamic methods of assessing volatility as you may find them more timely/accurate. The good news is that there's nothing special about it. They generally all rely upon Gaussian/pendulum logic, where the farther something is from its median, the more likely it is going to trend toward the median.

The classic analysis is the 52 week IV%, where the current IV is simply somewhere between the TTM's min and max. As shown in the screenshot below, right now we're at an IV30 of 54, which is a very low 15% relative to the past year's IV30. That's a super strong buy signal...if you believe in that as the indicator.

The next level of assessment is to actually compare current IV to the 52 week HV. This is actually more accurate than the above IV%, because HV is real data--it really happened. The orange bar below is where the volatility really was over the past year, whereas the blue bar only represents where the market thought volatility was going to go in the [at the time] future. In practice (using the Fidelity screenshot below) that's basically lining up the IV30 wedge relative to the HV30 bar, for an eyeballed ~26%. That's still a buy signal, though a little less strong than the above signal, and a trader may want to take a more cautious approach to a position either by reducing position size/risk (relative to the 15% indicator from above) or by entering some kind of spread that can offset some risk of decreasing volatility.

1617816328340.png

Moving on, the above assessment don't take into account any wild market action (especially on the top side of the ranges), so its a good idea to take stock of what may have influenced the peaks in that data. In a pretty benign year, one might weight the max volatility numbers as conservative. In a bananas year like we've had with TSLA, one would be remiss to assume the volatility spikes represent 'good data'.

With that in mind charting IV is always very useful because you can get a much clearer picture on how it ebbs and flows over time, and I find it very useful to chart a number of IV timeframes (Fidelity makes this easy) because that better informs buying options (which really should be done months out at a minimum, where IV30 might not tell the whole story). Of course correlating peaks and valleys to events like earnings or macro trends can very much inform one's analysis of future trending as well. Other things like crossover events can be strong signals, especially buy signals. For instance, while IV is represented as pretty low right now, IV30 is still higher than 60/90/120, whereas typically in a low IV trough IV 30 will be the base. (60/90/120 are in fact at 52 week lows) That tells me its very possible that volatility is going to continue going down, perhaps even below the "new normal" low from the past year. While that's not a strong sell indicator, it is definitely a "be cautious on a buy" indicator. Certainly this is spread territory.
1617817586533.png

Finally, its a good idea to not just look at the past year but also years past. I've flashed this kind of chart up before, but here's 5 years of IV. Remember that 2, 3, 4 years ago we all thought TSLA was Mad Volatile compared to other stonks...and then 2020 happened. So its important to not get too invested in the 'new normal' on either side of a TSLA contract. For contract buyers, beware that it is very likely volatility will at some point return to fluctuating between ~30 and ~80. For contract sellers, beware that premiums are going to decrease with this inevitable macro downtrend in IV, which means returns are going to be smaller. That will catch a lot of people out who got used to easy money in 2020--their strikes will get more agressive to try to claw back some more premium, and when strikes get more agressive risk goes up...
1617817654610.png

BTO 5/14 C $700 strike - Felt like this was a great strike for the earnings (which I believe are not priced in based on WS having their books lined up for a P&D miss)
Quiet from Tesla on all fronts on anything for a spooky long time and Algos pushing it down make this a nice option for me. I feel like something is brewing and the market is coiling the spring.
Details are 10 contracts at $42 each - IV 62 , Delta .45, Theta -.70
We will see how this ages throughout this week (may have gotten better pricing through Friday) but am willing to buy some more and average down if that is the case.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and MikeC
So how did this go? Last Thursday, I wished you luck on this trade. If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious as to what became of it?

It was ahead for a bit, behind for a bit, and is currently down 25% (so like $275). I've got to end of next week for expiration.

One thing I didn't do is put much thought into the position - it was about where I would have rolled the short put to, both strike and expiration, so that's what I chose for this put. Definitely not an approach I would suggest - more like an approach I would actively discourage. I agree with @bxr140 point that option purchases should be further out in time to minimize the impact of time decay. Faced with a similar situation in the future (and I will be) I'm a lot more likely to purchase a 2 or 3 month option planning to close it out in 1 month at most.

My thinking of the moment is to hold on for a few more days and see if we get more days like today. This position is occupying way more of my mental energy than it's size makes it worth, but that is due to it being a learning opportunity - to get a feel for how this goes.

(for those lacking the history - I purchased a 625 put for April 16 expiration. My recent history is that when I roll a deep OTM contract within an expiration window to something closer for incremental premium to decay, the shares promptly trade in that direction and frequently put that rolled contract ITM or even reasonably deep ITM. My more objective description of the dynamic is that we're in a trading range right now and significant moves towards either side of the range regress to the middle and I'm getting caught out by those regressions)

I couldn't agree more! Sucker money sells theta. (MM's love them). Smart money sells volatility.

Certainly everyone's analysis and assessments are all different, but you may want to study more dynamic methods of assessing volatility as you may find them more timely/accurate. The good news is that there's nothing special about it. They generally all rely upon Gaussian/pendulum logic, where the farther something is from its median, the more likely it is going to trend toward the median.

The classic analysis is the 52 week IV%, where the current IV is simply somewhere between the TTM's min and max. As shown in the screenshot below, right now we're at an IV30 of 54, which is a very low 15% relative to the past year's IV30. That's a super strong buy signal...if you believe in that as the indicator.

The next level of assessment is to actually compare current IV to the 52 week HV. This is actually more accurate than the above IV%, because HV is real data--it really happened. The orange bar below is where the volatility really was over the past year, whereas the blue bar only represents where the market thought volatility was going to go in the [at the time] future. In practice (using the Fidelity screenshot below) that's basically lining up the IV30 wedge relative to the HV30 bar, for an eyeballed ~26%. That's still a buy signal, though a little less strong than the above signal, and a trader may want to take a more cautious approach to a position either by reducing position size/risk (relative to the 15% indicator from above) or by entering some kind of spread that can offset some risk of decreasing volatility.

View attachment 651752

Moving on, the above assessment don't take into account any wild market action (especially on the top side of the ranges), so its a good idea to take stock of what may have influenced the peaks in that data. In a pretty benign year, one might weight the max volatility numbers as conservative. In a bananas year like we've had with TSLA, one would be remiss to assume the volatility spikes represent 'good data'.

With that in mind charting IV is always very useful because you can get a much clearer picture on how it ebbs and flows over time, and I find it very useful to chart a number of IV timeframes (Fidelity makes this easy) because that better informs buying options (which really should be done months out at a minimum, where IV30 might not tell the whole story). Of course correlating peaks and valleys to events like earnings or macro trends can very much inform one's analysis of future trending as well. Other things like crossover events can be strong signals, especially buy signals. For instance, while IV is represented as pretty low right now, IV30 is still higher than 60/90/120, whereas typically in a low IV trough IV 30 will be the base. (60/90/120 are in fact at 52 week lows) That tells me its very possible that volatility is going to continue going down, perhaps even below the "new normal" low from the past year. While that's not a strong sell indicator, it is definitely a "be cautious on a buy" indicator. Certainly this is spread territory.
View attachment 651757

Finally, its a good idea to not just look at the past year but also years past. I've flashed this kind of chart up before, but here's 5 years of IV. Remember that 2, 3, 4 years ago we all thought TSLA was Mad Volatile compared to other stonks...and then 2020 happened. So its important to not get too invested in the 'new normal' on either side of a TSLA contract. For contract buyers, beware that it is very likely volatility will at some point return to fluctuating between ~30 and ~80. For contract sellers, beware that premiums are going to decrease with this inevitable macro downtrend in IV, which means returns are going to be smaller. That will catch a lot of people out who got used to easy money in 2020--their strikes will get more agressive to try to claw back some more premium, and when strikes get more agressive risk goes up...
View attachment 651758

Well that is depressing. My plan was to sell call options to supplement my retirement.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
A big part of the value in the thread is to help us all understand the thought process that leads you to a particular choice(s).

If my math hasn't failed me you're looking at 1 month and 9 month option sales. What was the motivation for those duration / expiration options? What led you to those strikes?

Thanks for asking! I was't sure if those details are helpful.

For May 7 '21 $620 Put, I start with the strike first: I basically did spot stock price $690 - $70 (roughly the 30 day IV). I use 30 day IV to get 68% of winning chance. (1 standard deviation)

Then I choose a date from 30 days to 45 days, depends on the premium. I would like the premium to be 1/3 to 1/2 of the 30 day IV (70$ in this case). So for a IV range from $60 to $70, my ideal premium is in the $20 to 30$ range.

I would like the premium to be on the same order of magnitude of IV so that when the stock price moves down by (1 standard deviation + premium), I can break even, and when it continues to move down to another standard deviation, my loss is in the range of 100% to 300% loss. For example, if the stock price moves to $690 - $70 - $23.8 - $70 = ~$520+, my loss is around 300%, which is acceptable to me. (I planned for a worst case of 500% loss for a single trade)

Hi. For those of you selling puts, how do you pick a strike price to avoid getting assigned ? I have tried a rough formula of picking a strike that is 15 to 20 PCT below current stock price, even then I got assigned once or twice . But at least the stock price bounced back in those cases so the trade ended up being more profitable, once I sold the assigned stocks.
It might be helpful to look for a strike with large Open Interest. So your chance to get chosen is (your number of contracts / total open interest). E.g., if you sold 1 contract with 9 open interest, when someone exercises the option, your chance to be chosen is 1/10. 10 is from the 9 existing open interest + your newly opened position.

As an 8 year Tesla owner, one thing that I've learned is that wherever we're at in life (financially), there are those that are better off and those that are worse off. I've also learned that we each have a threshold below which the money is noise / educational but not meaningful. An easy illustration that I expect applies to all of us - if we're checking out at the grocery store and see a pack of gum that we want, our purchase sequence is See : Want : Get. Whether it's $1 or $3 it is noise. See / Want / Get. We don't pull up Amazon on our smartphone to evaluation competitive options and prices, go to other stores to evaluate the price on that gum there and see if we can get a better deal. It is noise.

That threshold is different for each of us.

What drove this home for me was awhile back when the Ludicrous Model S came out, there were Tesla owners that had bought their Model S a month or less earlier that were immediately selling the old and buying the new. Some of them wouldn't even had done it in that order - buy the new and sell the old (or trade it in just to keep things easy) with no more thought than we'd put into buying a pack of gum. See : Want : Get. Actually I think I got my Roadster from somebody like this - somebody traded in a 1 year old Roadster to a Lexus dealership in New Jersey with 12k miles. The dealership had it price at what I know was a "move it now" price (I'd been looking for awhile), so I got a 1/2 price Roadster with 12k miles, with the other 1/2 paid for by somebody that had a year with it and wanted something new. For them - See : Want : Get (and I was the beneficiary :D).

It may be that for @Davidzhao365 this level of commitment is down in the noise level. This is the volume that he needs in an experimental position for the learning to be meaningful. Clearly for most or all of us this level of activity is .. freaky .. and sounds hugely risky :)

This is an illustration of why I don't (or at least rarely) talk about position sizes. As educational information it doesn't make me smarter (or create an opportunity to be smarter). The expiration and strike information, the context, and what they are trying to accomplish - that might expose me to new ideas that will influence how I think about my own trades. I've had any number of these experiences over the last year since I started this thread, and they have come from many different people.

It MIGHT be that a new thread that does focus on very large position sizes, and how to get in and out of the market with a minimum wake for these size positions is in order and will draw some interest. How much of an impact did those 100 contracts have on the price of that option? Did it fill in a single block or was it a series of fills over a day or more? Is that $23.80 per contract a weighted average over all of the contracts? Was that a market order or a limit order, and how was the limit chosen? If I were working at that volume then this sort of information would be valuable to me. I won't be starting that thread though - I don't have any meaningful experience or education to contribute, though I would probably read it with interest (I'd sure like to be working at this level at some point in the future).
Thanks for asking.

Did it fill in a single block?

- It was filled in a single block with a limit price (mid price). I did some experiments before and found that

1. Clearly market maker can handle this size easily. I think it is more on the dollar amount rather than the number of contacts. This trade value is not large for market makers.

2. If multiple fills needed, market maker and my broker will do that automatically. And sometimes it happens.

3. l I just try to fill it at the mid price. Manually breaking it to smaller orders doesn't give me better prices in my experience.

How much of an impact did those 100 contracts have on the price of that option?

No I didn't observe any impact. I think this is a small volume for market makers.

Well that is depressing. My plan was to sell call options to supplement my retirement.

Supplementing to varying degrees is certainly on the table in any environment. Fully funding obviously requires a balance large enough to offset expenditures + some safety factor.

If you're developing a retirement strategy based on selling options also keep in mind that premiums are proportional to underlying price. That’s obviously good news as underlying goes up, but a sustainable strategy needs to be sized for a pretty conservative market so one can weather the inevitable recession where underlying tumbles and sold contract premiums drop. In that recession environment, if per-cycle returns on a selling strategy can't keep up with the equivalent timeframe expenditures, one will need to start unloading underlying shares to make ends meet...of course at recession-low prices. Maybe that's ok, but its also a bit of a deal with the debbil.

That's why a selling-only strategy is A Bad Idea, and as long term approach--despite 'easy money' opinions developed during 2020--it is actually more difficult, more risky, and more stressful than a more balanced approach to trading options that leverages opportunistic selling and buying of contracts (and of course underlying shares...and of course some degree of diversity to holdings/exposures...).

For those who are familiar with various forms of motor racing, generally the rule of thumb is to focus on going faster on the fast parts. While a Formula 1 engineering team will of course want to make the car faster at all points on the track, its far better to focus resources on going a few km/h faster on the straightaway than a few km/h faster in a turn, as the few km/h on the straight will net a bigger impact on lap time (and other things, but I digress...).

Buying options is like focusing on the straightaways, selling is like focusing on the turns. Buying options is like focusing on passing to make up positions in the race, selling options is like focusing on blocking to not fall back.

Smart money focuses on building capital by opportunistically buying options, especially during bull market upswings/rallies. One good position buying options will easily match months if not years of a selling strategy. 2020 is a perfect example of that, where nobody [with any sense] was primarily focused on selling options--everyone was I can't believe this is happening to their mutli-X LEAPs returns (and such). Then when buying opportunities wain, smart money transitions capital to a more selling focused strategy, earning some return while waiting for the next cycle of growing capital.

IMHO we're generally on that side of the spectrum now, especially considering the likely cooling off from a banner year and the corollary probability of further decreasing volatility (as postulated above). To be clear there's never a time when buying or selling is completely off the table--building capital is always best done with long positions and as such one should always be looking for buying opportunities (and have available capital to enter) regardless the market conditions, and the generally mad volatility of TSLA means there's often legitimate selling opportunities, even if to just hedge.

It might be helpful to look for a strike with large Open Interest. So your chance to get chosen is (your number of contracts / total open interest). E.g., if you sold 1 contract with 9 open interest, when someone exercises the option, your chance to be chosen is 1/10. 10 is from the 9 existing open interest + your newly opened position.

The flip side to that is the largest OI strikes are typically the more round number strikes that naturally attract more attention due to human nature. One could certainly contest that the kooks who exercise early are more likely to fall into that human nature funnel and as such will likely be drawn to a $1000 strike more than a $980 strike. So while there's certainly more balls in the bingo cage with big OI strikes, there's more kooks grabbing for those balls.

I'd contest that the less round number strikes, while generally carrying lower OIs, are typically owned by more savvy traders that put more thought into their strike selection, and those traders are FAR less likely to ever want to exercise an option.

As a data point (which I certainly wouldn't offer as a definitive conclusion) the few times I've had sold options executed were a) round number (high OI) strikes and b) because they had ~zero time value.

Ultimately, nobody really knows exactly what the probability is for getting assigned, and thus nobody really has a definitive strategy for avoiding assignment. One needs to decide for themselves where on the spectrum of quantity<-->quality they can find the most favorable probability. I strongly prefer selling options on non-round number strikes (so, generally lower OI) because I strongly believe in the stupidity of kooks that early execute.

Supplementing to varying degrees is certainly on the table in any environment. Fully funding obviously requires a balance large enough to offset expenditures + some safety factor.

If you're developing a retirement strategy based on selling options also keep in mind that premiums are proportional to underlying price. That’s obviously good news as underlying goes up, but a sustainable strategy needs to be sized for a pretty conservative market so one can weather the inevitable recession where underlying tumbles and sold contract premiums drop. In that recession environment, if per-cycle returns on a selling strategy can't keep up with the equivalent timeframe expenditures, one will need to start unloading underlying shares to make ends meet...of course at recession-low prices. Maybe that's ok, but its also a bit of a deal with the debbil.

That's why a selling-only strategy is A Bad Idea, and as long term approach--despite 'easy money' opinions developed during 2020--it is actually more difficult, more risky, and more stressful than a more balanced approach to trading options that leverages opportunistic selling and buying of contracts (and of course underlying shares...and of course some degree of diversity to holdings/exposures...).

For those who are familiar with various forms of motor racing, generally the rule of thumb is to focus on going faster on the fast parts. While a Formula 1 engineering team will of course want to make the car faster at all points on the track, its far better to focus resources on going a few km/h faster on the straightaway than a few km/h faster in a turn, as the few km/h on the straight will net a bigger impact on lap time (and other things, but I digress...).

Buying options is like focusing on the straightaways, selling is like focusing on the turns. Buying options is like focusing on passing to make up positions in the race, selling options is like focusing on blocking to not fall back.

Smart money focuses on building capital by opportunistically buying options, especially during bull market upswings/rallies. One good position buying options will easily match months if not years of a selling strategy. 2020 is a perfect example of that, where nobody [with any sense] was primarily focused on selling options--everyone was I can't believe this is happening to their mutli-X LEAPs returns (and such). Then when buying opportunities wain, smart money transitions capital to a more selling focused strategy, earning some return while waiting for the next cycle of growing capital.

IMHO we're generally on that side of the spectrum now, especially considering the likely cooling off from a banner year and the corollary probability of further decreasing volatility (as postulated above). To be clear there's never a time when buying or selling is completely off the table--building capital is always best done with long positions and as such one should always be looking for buying opportunities (and have available capital to enter) regardless the market conditions, and the generally mad volatility of TSLA means there's often legitimate selling opportunities, even if to just hedge.
As you say, will depend a bit on the capital you have to hand. After some thought I decided the ideal portfolio balance, assuming it's in a single stock, would be a mix of cash, shares and LEAPS - sell fairly OTM put against the cash every week, calls against the shares and the LEAPS give a safeguard to the upside in case your shares get called away

This is my plan, I have the LEAPS, I have the shares, but am having a hard time getting the cash as my calls never exercise, however aggressive I think I'm being

As regards F1 cars, if you design a car to be fast on the fast bits, then you'll end up with a poor car around the corners, and even worse, a car that can't follow another without overheating it's tyres, Mercedes have won both championships since 2012 based on a car which is good in the slower bits... Same philosophy for Red Bull - not great on the straights, good around the corners... Ferrari traditionally took the brute-force approach, hasn't done them much good

But OK, it's just an analogy, but as I'm an F1 addict, I couldn't resist 😋

Thanks for asking.

Did it fill in a single block?

- It was filled in a single block with a limit price (mid price). I did some experiments before and found that

1. Clearly market maker can handle this size easily. I think it is more on the dollar amount rather than the number of contacts. This trade value is not large for market makers.

2. If multiple fills needed, market maker and my broker will do that automatically. And sometimes it happens.

3. l I just try to fill it at the mid price. Manually breaking it to smaller orders doesn't give me better prices in my experience.

How much of an impact did those 100 contracts have on the price of that option?

No I didn't observe any impact. I think this is a small volume for market makers.
My trades never go in a single block from E-Trade or fidelity unless it is less than 5X. In fact, 10X usually go in at least 3 blocks or more. It's sometimes a money losing effect, but not enough to write home about.

Reactions: Davidzhao365
Just sold a 4/9 660p for $6, just on a dare to the MMs. Go ahead, make my day and assign me those shares. Edit: Also decided to buy back the 4/9 750c in various accounts, for about 70% profit. Just couldn’t resist this dip. Plus it gave me a chance to pick up a few more shares (8 so far) since all the CCs are now closed and it fees up that emergency cash.
Update: Last night I thought about letting the 4/9 660p expire worthless (since max pain was near 680), but realized that there would be much more profit if I rolled to next week, still daring the MMs to assign me those shares. So, BTC @ $2 and STO 4/16 660p @ 13.20 (right after open, so near a local minimum SP, hence the obscenely high price paid to close). I also closed my CCs for $0.10, so removed that risk (though they were OTM far enough that they should have expired worthless as well. With the CC risk gone, and extra free cash at my disposal from the -p660, I decided to BUY some 4/16 800c for $0.80, just on the off chance that the MMs will allow for a Monday moonshot. Also, picked up another couple of shares at $676, slowly filling out another round lot, while still leaving a few $K for future MMDs. All together, it was a good week, much better than my poor FOMO/timing performance last week.

Edit: Shoutout to @TheTalkingMule for getting me thinking about buying OTM 800c and @bxr140 for all the amazing knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21 $750c's are looking reasonable at $26 a moment ago.

Hello, can someone please educate me, because I really don't get it. (I would copy the trade if I get it)

If i am reasonably confident that the SP will pop up next week and into May and it will be >$750 SIX WEEKS from now, why am I selling a 750cc that has a high risk of assignment?

I am just trying to understand what is the money-making angle. (It's not meant to criticize or put down a posting)

Help! Thanks in advance.

Hello, can someone please educate me, because I really don't get it. (I would copy the trade if I get it)

If i am reasonably confident that the SP will pop up next week and into May and it will be >$750 SIX WEEKS from now, why am I selling a 750cc that has a high risk of assignment?

I am just trying to understand what is the money-making angle. (It's not meant to criticize or put down a posting)

Help! Thanks in advance.
Pretty sure that’s a buy thought, not a sell CC. No way I would sell a 750 right now, not even for this week, next week, and certainly not next month. I only sell weekly CCs right now, and then only after selecting a strike at least +20% above the Monday morning peak. Later in the week, I might buyback and resell a lower strike if max pain indicates a lower Friday closed. For example, this week I started at -800c, rolled to -750c, then finally (yesterday) settled on -720c.

Pretty sure that’s a buy thought, not a sell CC. No way I would sell a 750 right now, not even for this week, next week, and certainly not next month. I only sell weekly CCs right now, and then only after selecting a strike at least +20% above the Monday morning peak. Later in the week, I might buyback and resell a lower strike if max pain indicates a lower Friday closed. For example, this week I started at -800c, rolled to -750c, then finally (yesterday) settled on -720c.
Do you mind sharing open, close time and prices for these?

Do you mind sharing open, close time and prices for these?
Normally, I would say no because I don’t really keep track. But looking back, I do have some data, though the times might not be exactly right since I’m just looking back at my text messages and not all have time stamps. Also, this was done in multiple IRA accounts, so not all are done at the same time or price.
STO -800c Mon 14:07 $1.20. BTC Tues 10:55 $0.47 (some at $0.30)
STO -750c Tues 10:55 $2.10/1.62/1.65 BTC Wed 10:20 $0.50/0.48
STO -720c Thur 11:59 $1.45/1.50/1.55. BTC Fri 09:35 $0.10
So, a total profit around $3.20/shr for the week, enough for me.

This is a newish experience for me, that is, rolling down during the week. Initially, I started just selling calls way OTM (like this week’s 800s) on Monday close to the open and then leaving them to close worthless. This week, however, I was expecting a massive SP jump from the Q1 P/D report and waited to see where the SP went before trading.

I’ve now had three successful weeks of rolling down and one unsuccessful week (FOMO bad timing and bought back at a loss). I’m still learning options intricacies and this rolling method seems to allow me to extract a little bit more premium, while not needing to guess exactly right on strikes. I’m sure that others could get more premium by initially selling closer to the Friday close SP (e.g. 700s this week), but I’m just not that lucky/good and I don’t want to risk losing my shares.

Finally, I put the profits gained into shares, buying a couple of shares each week, using buy orders in $10 lower SP increments. I now need less than 100 shares total to fill out round lots in all my accounts. I was hoping to be done trading by the earnings report, but it looks like I’ll be a little short of my share goal by then, so maybe June or July. There’s no hurry for me since I cannot access these IRA accounts for several years anyway. Definitely looking forward to getting a new MS Plaid+ when the SP is in the $1000-$1200 range.