Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
little Basic question here. From the option alpha course, they tend to place 45 days trades 95% of the time being option sellers during high IV periods, their average Period of holding before closing a position is 28 days, from doing that they go from a 70% win rate to a 77% win rate on trades. However, isn’t time decay accelerating in the last few days of selling an option. On my options I sold close to expiration, the value drops like crazy in the last week. Someone would have to explain to me why in option alpha that use 45 days contracts and buy Back their position around 28 days instead of focusing on the last week? Thanks
Good question.
In option alpha they use many underlyings, and many small trades. I think their rule was that one trade should not risk more than 3% of your capital. Now that means that max loss can not be more than 3% of your underlying capital. Also they usually always use very thin spreads.

What we are doing here is a bit different - use only one underlying, and trade a bunch of contracts with wider spreads, that you can then manage.

Education in option alpha is very good, but you need to realise the differences in strategy, and why they are different.

Good post, thanks. I've been thinking about this, and does it entail some opportunity cost.
Right now I can get about jan 2024 $850 call for 61k, so that's about the cost of 50 shares. It will use up 61k of my cash reserves, and about 50k of maintenance margin. So looks like with IB, calls don't give much of margin at all. Then I can sell one covered call against this, say 11/12 1400 call pays $9.70.

Or I can take that 50k and sell 5 $100 wide bull put spreads, that would be 5x -900/+800 bps for example.

Looking at this math, looks like I'm better of sticking with bull put spreads.. of course right now IV is high, so it's not a good time to buy leaps.
Feels like this is a good strategy, if you want to own leaps instead of stock. But bying leaps in order to to be able to sell poor man's covered calls doesn't seem so great after all.

Especially in my situation, where holding an appreciating asset over 10 years will provide a significant tax reduction. Also I do not plan to sell any stock in the foreseeable future.. leaps I would have to sell at the very latest at expiry, and then I would have to pay 34% tax on capital gains on those leaps.
You could buy the stock through the leaps when they are due without tax consequences. The LTCG clock would reset but if your plan is HODL, this is not an issue. And since it seems you have a handle on the trading, you could slowly build up the cash for the stock buy come LEAP expiration.

I have an account I set up in 2018 that was all leaps. Have been exercising them when due. The account is up 66x and like 98% unrealized gains now 😀. Have paid taxes only on gains from CCs and the such.

One risk is that your short strike goes ITM too fast and loses a lot more money than the long strike gains.

If too DITM, you can essentially lose all the time value from your LEAP and end up with the equivalent of a vertical spread, even though the expiration of the short call is much earlier.
Sure, but you can't lose on the position as the LEAP at the lower strike will always* have a higher premium than the short position, but you will cap the profits on the width of the strikes

Note that this is why I am considering writing January c1500's - cash-in some profits already, but then the width is enough that will still be a good profit at expiry if the short is ITM

*one caveat is that it can be the LEAP is not as liquid as the short call, so might be difficult to offload it, low volume and of a wide ask/bid can be a pain

Good post, thanks. I've been thinking about this, and does it entail some opportunity cost.
Right now I can get about jan 2024 $850 call for 61k, so that's about the cost of 50 shares. It will use up 61k of my cash reserves, and about 50k of maintenance margin. So looks like with IB, calls don't give much of margin at all. Then I can sell one covered call against this, say 11/12 1400 call pays $9.70.

Or I can take that 50k and sell 5 $100 wide bull put spreads, that would be 5x -900/+800 bps for example.

Looking at this math, looks like I'm better of sticking with bull put spreads.. of course right now IV is high, so it's not a good time to buy leaps.
Feels like this is a good strategy, if you want to own leaps instead of stock. But bying leaps in order to to be able to sell poor man's covered calls doesn't seem so great after all.

Especially in my situation, where holding an appreciating asset over 10 years will provide a significant tax reduction. Also I do not plan to sell any stock in the foreseeable future.. leaps I would have to sell at the very latest at expiry, and then I would have to pay 34% tax on capital gains on those leaps.
All true.

NOT-ADVICE
And also - a portfolio management approach that I'm still thinking about and starting to implement, rather than something I've been doing for awhile and have all dialed in.

There are two additional dynamics that leads me to doing these call diagonals (poor man's covered calls). The first is that I prefer having positions on both sides of the share price, or at least the ability to put on meaningful positions on both sides. I don't like doing ICs, but these provide me the call side of an IC like position - profit whichever way the shares go, with each side providing something of a hedge for the other side.

The second is a portfolio management, and adiggs management, dynamic. I have a tendency to use everything available in my positions. I'll use an account with $1M cash to sell 100x$100 wide put spreads for instance. I'll keep em really conservative to make up a really high win rate, but if one of those loses badly then I'll be in trouble. And a related notion - do I compound the positions by taking the $30k gain one week and turning that into 103x$100 wide spreads the next week, and so on? That looks amazing in a spreadsheet, but maintains the % impact of a negative event. And my own personal tendency is to do exactly that.

So my inclination is towards these large and concentrated positions, and to use the accumulating cash to continue growing them.

Where I think I'm headed with this is a roughly 1/3rd cash / 2/3rd leap account distribution. I consider the 2/3rds in leaps to be readily available cash that I won't be using for put spreads. If it helps think of these as retirement accounts, so there isn't any incremental margin that needs to go into the calculation.

Now in that $1M account I'm using ~$333k for put spreads, and the other 2/3rds are in leaps. That gets me a LOT of delta but mostly the resource is in use and keeps my put spread sizing down. As the value of the account increases I will periodically reevaluate and decide whether I need more or less leaps to stay in the vicinity of that 1/3rd to 2/3rds ratio.

I think of the leaps as being cash, specifically for the purpose of restarting the put spreads should I take a serious loss in the spreads. I'll be in 100% max loss positions, so taking 20-50% losses are certainly something that needs to be planned for.

Maybe I go 50/50 but the principle and motivation are the same. I'm not in this for a week or a month of good trades; I hope to make this my family's income for years to come. Until we have so much that we really don't want to continue or I get bored with it. I need to maintain a buffer that handles any big losses.

This rebalancing process will, I think, get me into a dollar cost averaging position with a tendency to sell leaps at relatively high share prices (big share price run pushes the value of the leaps above the 2/3rds level, causing me to sell some of those leaps via aggressive cc's, to bring the cash/leaps ratio back in line).

A big share price drop will leave me with more cash than the target ratio, and therefore I'll be buying some leaps to bring the account back into line. Thus buying leaps on the way down and at relatively low prices.

Buy low, sell high, and now I've given myself permission to run very large and concentrated positions with the ability to take high % losses early and keep the income flowing.

Or so I'm theorizing and starting to drift towards.

Last edited:
You could buy the stock through the leaps when they are due without tax consequences. The LTCG clock would reset but if your plan is HODL, this is not an issue. And since it seems you have a handle on the trading, you could slowly build up the cash for the stock buy come LEAP expiration.

I have an account I set up in 2018 that was all leaps. Have been exercising them when due. The account is up 66x and like 98% unrealized gains now 😀. Have paid taxes only on gains from CCs and the such.
Nope, out here if you exercise an option, the tax man will regard it as realised capital gains. So you'll buy the stock, but pay taxes on the amount the leap has gained.

The Tax Man always shows up here. No way around him.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
Closed the remaining BPS expiring today at 80-90% profit. (Some 800/900, some 1050/1100).

Opened 11/12 900/1000 BPS @5.53.

These are my riskier next week BPS position, next to my safer 700/950 BPS.

On the call side I have 11/5 1300cc open which I will close later today.

For next week I don't have calls open and I'm not planning to.
I have slightly more conservative BPS positions (650/850 and 750/950) open for next week . I don't currently have any CC open for next week, though I may open a few around the $1,500 strike if we get another large run up on Monday.

Edit: glad I closed my 11/5 $1250 CC on the dip this morning.

Any not advice for unique roll scenarios to manage a 11/5 1080/1130 BCS?

Got caught in the squeeze last week and already rolled for a credit last week. The continued parabolic movement this week has been demoralizing. Where are the MMS at?!?!

If you thought the stock was going to keep going up, you could buy back the 1080 and let the 1130 profit. But that won’t work if the stock pulls back.

If you have cash or margin to spare, you could sell enough puts or put spreads to cover the cost of buying back the call spread. Puts were getting very nice prices yesterday. If you have a bunch of those call spreads, a single 2024 put or put spread close to ATM could cover several of them.

If you don’t have a large number of those, you could buy them back and eat the $5k loss and move on.

I agree with ammulder
FWIW I took approach #1 (buy back the short call and allow the long call to ride out) three times this year - this is highly stressful, and for me only worked once out of the three times. The other two times I took massive losses by letting the long call ride and 'missing' the needed price target by expiration. Looking back I would have saved massively by just closing out the entire spread rather than trying to time the market. Importantly if the BCS is in trouble like this it's best to get out ASAP to other positions like the ones ammulder suggested, or close ASAP. Waiting until expiration basically guarantees max loss.

little Basic question here. From the option alpha course, they tend to place 45 days trades 95% of the time being option sellers during high IV periods, their average Period of holding before closing a position is 28 days, from doing that they go from a 70% win rate to a 77% win rate on trades. However, isn’t time decay accelerating in the last few days of selling an option. On my options I sold close to expiration, the value drops like crazy in the last week. Someone would have to explain to me why in option alpha that use 45 days contracts and buy Back their position around 28 days instead of focusing on the last week? Thanks
I tend to ignore this conventional wisdom of longer duration options trading as it mainly applies to trading against generic stocks and indexes. In here we generally have an very high level of insight into what Tesla and the TSLA market is doing and how that can affect the share price. TSLA also trades a bit differently to a lot of stocks, partly due to the outsized options market and it's ability to affect short term trading. This usually gives us an edge (the preceding 3 weeks not withstanding) when trading shorter 1-2 week expiration options. I certainly wouldn't be trying to trade a generic stock or index the way I trade with TSLA.

I've been a bit quiet posting here of late, being busy on a number of fronts, but thought I'd do a quick recap of this weeks trading so far. I'm also still taking a bit of a different approach to a few others here so may offer a different perspective.

Last week I opened 430 x BPS in the 930/950 and 950/980 ranges. These were rolled up on Wednesday to 990/1020 and 1010/1040. I tried rolling up again on Thursday but there wasn't enough credit to make it worthwhile. I'd also opened 55 x 960/990 for 11/12 by accident (should have been 11/5) but they've done OK. Today I've opened another 300 X BPS for next week at 1050/1080 getting $3.80 on the dip.

On Wednesday I also felt confident enough to open BCS with 455 x 1305/1345 and 1325/1360 to make most into IC's. On Thursday I also opened another 150 x 1330/1360 by accident when an order I forgot was open, exercised on the peak just after open. I had plenty of margin buffer and it's worked out OK so all good. I also did CC on most of my shares between 1300 and 1325.

So I've resisted making a move to wider BPS/BCS and have kept to $25-$40 spread ranges. I get around 3-5 times the return on my used margin compared to a very safe BPS. So I'm still backing my judgement of where the stock will go but I am being more conservative (than before) in my strike choices. The higher IV makes it easier to choose further out strikes without sacrificing too much premium. The other main difference is that I will not let the stock run away before closing off losing positions. I took about a $400k loss 3 weeks back, mainly by waiting too long in hope for the positions to recover.

So far it's looking like I should (hopefully) clear a bit over $250k this week, so a quick recovery from the odd (and hopefully less likely) major loss shouldn't take too long.

I've been a bit quiet posting here of late, being busy on a number of fronts, but thought I'd do a quick recap of this weeks trading so far. I'm also still taking a bit of a different approach to a few others here so may offer a different perspective.

Last week I opened 430 x BPS in the 930/950 and 950/980 ranges. These were rolled up on Wednesday to 990/1020 and 1010/1040. I tried rolling up again on Thursday but there wasn't enough credit to make it worthwhile. I'd also opened 55 x 960/990 for 11/12 by accident (should have been 11/5) but they've done OK. Today I've opened another 300 X BPS for next week at 1050/1080 getting $3.80 on the dip.

On Wednesday I also felt confident enough to open BCS with 455 x 1305/1345 and 1325/1360 to make most into IC's. On Thursday I also opened another 150 x 1330/1360 by accident when an order I forgot was open, exercised on the peak just after open. I had plenty of margin buffer and it's worked out OK so all good. I also did CC on most of my shares between 1300 and 1325.

So I've resisted making a move to wider BPS/BCS and have kept to $25-$40 spread ranges. I get around 3-5 times the return on my used margin compared to a very safe BPS. So I'm still backing my judgement of where the stock will go but I am being more conservative (than before) in my strike choices. The higher IV makes it easier to choose further out strikes without sacrificing too much premium. The other main difference is that I will not let the stock run away before closing off losing positions. I took about a $400k loss 3 weeks back, mainly by waiting too long in hope for the positions to recover.

So far it's looking like I should (hopefully) clear a bit over $250k this week, so a quick recovery from the odd (and hopefully less likely) major loss shouldn't take too long.

Balls of steel

Say you have 100 shares and can write 1 contract CC (at a time) against.

If you think IV is going to collapse, which one is better ...
1. sell 1 long Jan 23 CC around 1800-1900 or
2. sell 1 weekly CC and repeat the process every week ?

cheers!!

…..and in contrast to @Chenkers trades, I managed to day trade one of my 11/19 -c810 to -c820 (same week) for $1 credit during this morning’s SP whiplash. FYI, that was better than my earlier roll from 11/12 -c805 to 11/19 -c810 for minimal credit. Wooohoooo. Only 40 more weeks to go. I’ll try something similar each AM planning on other MMDs. I was able to buyback a -p680 at 40% profit, release $68k, then buyback one 810 at $410, reselling the 820 at $411 a few minutes later. Not perfectly timed, probably could have sold the 815c instead, but pretty happy with my luck. I haven’t resold the put, so now enough free cash to buyback 3 more calls or sell an ATM put. Waiting to see if the current SP dip continues to approach 1200. Edit: I may be forced to wait until next week so I don’t trigger a trading violation.

Amazing.
Wondering, what's your calculation behind to choose 1304-1330 as your short leg on Wed/Thurs? Esp Thurs, the SP at that time was already close to 1250 at that time

These trades turn me on