Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STO with $21.85 credit

not sure yet if for daytrade 25%, or letting it expire over 3 weeks

1645203509136.png

STO 10 x c945 for $3.25. This is just above last week's high and with a long weekend coming up and a situation in Ukraine that appears to be deteriorating, I feel safe about this position. And it doesn't hurt to challenge the stock a bit.
Interesting. My covered call sales have been very good lately as well. What led you to selling on a weak day rather than waiting for a pop? Not criticizing, just trying to learn. I, too, am looking to sell more cc, but thought I would wait until Tuesday given the downward pressure today. Is it the increased theta drop given the long weekend?

STO 10 x c945 for $3.25. This is just above last week's high and with a long weekend coming up and a situation in Ukraine that appears to be deteriorating, I feel safe about this position. And it doesn't hurt to challenge the stock a bit.
Interesting. I have some 2/25 -c930s that I rolled into at $19.xx and I was contemplating closing them today. Put in a buy order for $2.50. Also interested in your rationale. Picked up a few shares around 849.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Question for anyone using Fidelity as their broker:

What level of options trading is required to sell covered calls against LEAPS? I'm new to Fidelity and currently approved for level 2 options trading for my IRA. Thanks.

Taken from the trade options page, clicking on the level, with level 3, this is possible. When you do figure out how to trade LEAPS and LCC using the Fidelity platform , please share. I personally need to learn more before I dip toes. Optimal strike, ITM, OTM, expiry, etc... Back to the options trade page, none of the trade ticket templates allow a buy-write in that form with level 3.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 12.47.23 PM.png

I sold some of those too for $2.85 just now ... still sounds like decent premium to me. I hate selling CC's not into strength but like you I feel safe with this position.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Interesting. My covered call sales have been very good lately as well. What led you to selling on a weak day rather than waiting for a pop? Not criticizing, just trying to learn. I, too, am looking to sell more cc, but thought I would wait until Tuesday given the downward pressure today. Is it the increased theta drop given the long weekend?
Interesting. I have some 2/25 -c930s that I rolled into at $19.xx and I was contemplating closing them today. Put in a buy order for $2.50. Also interested in your rationale. Picked up a few shares around 849.

Normally I sell calls on up days, but today I felt it was worth giving it a try on a weak day because:

- I expected the stock to show more weakness towards the close (in light of the fluid situation in Ukraine and the upcoming weekend)
- The long weekend leaves just 4 trading days
- The premium was not bad

Yeah I want to enter a bps position 2/25 2x870/835 but realise that we're not done dipping this week, so it'll get worse before it gets better.

Since going all cash and one position at a time, I have a better overview on my margin and maximum exposure.

Just not clear when to step in :). I've set an order for -10.50. Let's see if anything bites.
LOL I have no clue how any of this works.

I set up the 2/25 2x870/835 and my max loss would be less than what I have in cash in the account. And I was also within margin requirements. I was not holding stock.

SP does it's thing today up to 837, IBKR says I'm negative margin. Huh?

Anyway, rolled it down to 2x830/800 for about +9. I'm not spooked, I will gain some of it back next week.

In hindsight I should not have aimed for next week, but just do more bcs' because I was totally expecting this SP movement today. But I thought I could sweat it out. Hey, we learn something every day.

Reactions: UltradoomY
LOL I have no clue how any of this works.

I set up the 2/25 2x870/835 and my max loss would be less than what I have in cash in the account. And I was also within margin requirements. I was not holding stock.

SP does it's thing today up to 837, IBKR says I'm negative margin. Huh?

Anyway, rolled it down to 2x830/800 for about +9. I'm not spooked, I will gain some of it back next week.

In hindsight I should not have aimed for next week, but just do more bcs' because I was totally expecting this SP movement today. But I thought I could sweat it out. Hey, we learn something every day.
I had something like this happen a little while ago. I had a bunch of -970/820 BPS a few weeks ago, and when the stock price was right in between, even with about a week of time left on them I got a negative margin on expiry warning showing up. I then realized it was because I didn't have enough cash to take assignment on all the -970 and the 820 were going to be worthless at expiry. Maybe that's what's happening for you?

I had something like this happen a little while ago. I had a bunch of -970/820 BPS a few weeks ago, and when the stock price was right in between, even with about a week of time left on them I got a negative margin on expiry warning showing up. I then realized it was because I didn't have enough cash to take assignment on all the -970 and the 820 were going to be worthless at expiry. Maybe that's what's happening for you?
Yeah, maybe. In retrospect it was a stretch to have both legs of these spreads ITM, and I was kinda expecting it - I mean, we're looking at about the same behaviour as last week.

But I rolled to 2x 830/800 which is already at +26% and I need it to be +50% to be break-even to where I started this bad trade.

In retrospect I should have been chasing the SP down with bcs, but that felt hilariously risky since I already did 950/1000 and 930/980 this week with good profits. I didn't feel comfortable setting up a 900/950bcs while the max pain was 925 yesterday. But alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: cbh03