Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So ugly, this is I think my 4th quarter in a row getting burned expecting an “inevitable” ER run-up. I rolled almost all put spreads (-p240/200, -245/200) out to Nov-Jan. Also rolled 10/21 -300p into 1/23 -p300/150 to get some margin breathing room.

The annoying thing is the puts are preventing me from selling shares to buy LEAPS, which I would normally do down here, because I need the margin.

So ugly, this is I think my 4th quarter in a row getting burned expecting an “inevitable” ER run-up. I rolled almost all put spreads (-p240/200, -245/200) out to Nov-Jan. Also rolled 10/21 -300p into 1/23 -p300/150 to get some margin breathing room.

The annoying thing is the puts are preventing me from selling shares to buy LEAPS, which I would normally do down here, because I need the margin.
Yeah, have done some of that today an yesterday, selling shares, buying LEAPs. As long as deltas match up from now, the ATH should yield large dividends. Of course, no recovery at all is disaster wipeout.

JUST a little OT:

BTC up 3 percent over the past month.

QQQ down ten percent.

TSLA down 20 plus percent.

Why this matter?

I consider BTC to be the canary in the coal mine. It got nailed way before the overall market started getting trashed. All of a sudden it has decoupled to be more stable at 19 to 20K. Despite now mainstream conventional view that crypto was a ponzi disaster that is now gone forever with all the fools wiped out. Considered ultimate risk asset. The riskiest.

First one into correction and bear…. First one out? Of course, continued destruction of macros may hit it hard again, but for now it may still be serving as a prognosticator of the coming bottom (yes, there is a bottom somewhere. Maybe zero but still a bottom.).

CPI has ridiculous importance now even though six months from now will mean nothing. And this labor market number as a reason to destroy the market…. Ridiculous. The bears are firmly in control. For now.

Couple months ago my TSLA position was +300%

With all the shares I got assigned my TSLA is now -0.01%

What a painful day

I am hesitant to sell it all and convert to Jan 2024 300 Calls

I did that in May and it didn’t seem to have an impact on my margin calculation. Like if naked puts can’t be converted to BPS

Bought $300 puts when the stock was in the $650 in May to match my underwater puts but margin available did not change.
The protective put can't be that far away. When I needed to buy some I was playing with the "Impact to Purchasing power" on the preview screen to see how much margin I would gain. If the put strike price was closer to the actual it cost more for more protection and further away cost less but also gave me less margin. I had posted something in the past about it here:

Last edited:
trading acct: changed my mind and decided to close all BW to lock in the gains; dunno what is macro in 2 weeks

how it happened: rolled 10/7 to 10/21 for credit; closed when +91% realized gain

why is this good?: next 2 weeks i have BW income again; waiting for the other 9% over 2 weeks = not good use of capital

retirement acct temporary BW: 10/14 -c242.50 +44%; ok to lose shares

Last edited:
anyone thinks that this particular decline are institutions or musk re-pricing in on closing twtr deal using tsla shares as collateral? I dont own any TSLA but thinking of selling PMCCs, these lvls are lucrative + the premium on this IV vs HV is nice.

anyone thinks that this particular decline are institutions or musk re-pricing in on closing twtr deal using tsla shares as collateral? I dont own any TSLA but thinking of selling PMCCs, these lvls are lucrative + the premium on this IV vs HV is nice.

I don’t think so. The whole market tanked today. Actually TSLA was not quite as far down as might be expected from its beta.

Reactions: BornToFly
My only expiration today were some 230 puts I sold earlier in the week. I decided pretty early in the morning that I wasn't going to roll them, and instead let them go to expiration and possible assignment. Looks like I'm going to own a bunch more shares come Monday morning that I'll use in BWs.

I'm expecting a pop on Monday, if for no other reason stock doesn't go in one direction - even on a continuous slide down there are a few hiccups and up days along the way. Whether wheel or BW I expect I'll be selling some really close to the money cc on these shares next week.

Anybody have a link to the actual bond rating letter announcing the investment grade upgrade? My DuckDuckGo-fu is proving unequal to the task of finding it for myself.

EDIT: found it:

Last edited:
Reactions: kcveins
Well, I was planning a survey post of various options recently traded (eg, 10,000x c/p300 Jan23, 6000x p/p170/173 Mar23, 9-10,000x c/p235 Nov 18), but decided I don’t really have anything to add. Instead, with all the early DITM put assignments, I thought I would point out my method of keeping track of the remaining time values: Just sell a short straddle and the value of the winning side is pretty close to the time value of the losing side. You can also easily look it up on MaxPain. For example, at SP $222.07 close, the 10/28 c250 is currently showing $5.50 and the p250 is $32.45, so there’s approx. $5.50 time value left on the put. I try to readjust my straddles much earlier, but the past two weeks have been pretty bad. I did have some 250s/270s for 10/14 and I closed some CCs near today’s low. Probably a mistake to not roll everything down and out.

On another matter, some “extra” cash is now available outside of my retirement accounts. This was money to be used for living expenses and emergencies, but has been building up in a low-interest savings account. Yes, I know that I’m lucky to have savings beyond my immediate needs, but I’m wondering if it’s finally time to buy shares. I wouldn’t need the money for at least two years, so could defer capital gains if eventually sold for future living expenses. With all the Twitter/Elon selling overhang and rumors about the bond upgrade, it sure seems like additional shenanigans are in the works until November. Would anyone else be buying at these prices with 2-yr money? I’ve been buying a few shares each week in my retirement accounts (from the options trading profits), but have not yet bought in taxable accounts. I’m thinking that $208-$210 YTD lows are still possible. If we break those, then who knows where’s the bottom.

From a longer term market perspective, we could easily see another 6-mo of pain, 9000 nasdaq, maybe even more if the Fed thinks we’re in a 1972-4 inflation period or a 1999-2000 dot-com boom:
832A1F78-70FF-40DA-97B3-4762BE80B428.jpeg

In any case, this has been a rough two weeks for TSLA. I truly think that most of this is specifically manipulation to keep us from hitting the golden cross. We were within ONE day of having the 50d SMA cross above the 200d, a massive positive catalyst for traders, and then, bam, a series of >-5% daily drops, and gap downs overnight. All coincided with FUD about Twitter, Elon needs to sell, right before earnings come out, and reaching the SP of the original S&P500 addition. Hmmmm.
CF0EE287-1C9C-4FD2-8E75-2F56BBAD4951.jpeg

96DDB3B1-31F9-4A62-B66C-A08418E89B3D.jpeg

With extrinsic uncomfortably low (.50 mid day), I rolled 10/14 265/215 bps to 10/21 for debit... couldn't find a mutually reasonable debit for improving strike and didn't want to roll weeks away. On a positive note, the spread has been rolled 5 times now, this last one to again get more time, but now have given back 90% of the credit booked from when it was opened. Next stop, I'll accept assignment. I do have room to sell calls. Unless ATM, premiums are lousy; not enough to buy out the bps, or i would consider. Other reason to no sell CC, the shares getting called away would be a disaster, many have low cost basis. Or I just change the to last in first out... Lots to consider. Nice weekend all.

Reactions: corduroy
I just spoke with my previous employer, and I'm going back to work as a consultant. I will charge then through ny own company. Not full time, more like how I see fit.

Actually feels nice to go back.

Better to have another income stream for a few months, so I won't need to get that aggressive with options and can just let stock to recover. I've rolled my itm puts to jan25 -p200. At least theyre otm now.

I just spoke with my previous employer, and I'm going back to work as a consultant. I will charge then through ny own company. Not full time, more like how I see fit.

Actually feels nice to go back.

Better to have another income stream for a few months, so I won't need to get that aggressive with options and can just let stock to recover. I've rolled my itm puts to jan25 -p200. At least theyre otm now.

I think that’s exactly just that the fed was intending to do with their non stop raises to crunch the market and make us go back to work. Not so long ago I was dreaming of pulling the plug and enjoying everyday left however I concluded I was too young so I continued trading option and losing money instead to prevent any possible retirement.