Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am curious, what is the reasoning behind 155? ie 15 width

is it TA? income? delta? feeling?

coz i opened 170/150 and then i thought 20 was too tight and somewhat regretting it

Narrow spreads are lower risk because the maximum loss is smaller.

**as long as you have sufficient spare margin** they can be rolled by widening down and out. Unfortunately there is a tendency to use margin up for maximum number of contracts. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

**as long as you have sufficient spare margin** they can be rolled by widening down and out. Unfortunately there is a tendency to use it up for maximum number of contracts. Been there, done that.
i should rephrase my question - if there is a risk of sp falling next week, isn't wider width easier to roll for credit? the wider it is, the more it mimics CSP

**as long as you have sufficient spare margin** they can be rolled by widening down and out. Unfortunately there is a tendency to use it up for maximum number of contracts. Been there, done that.
Yes - thats why I use a spread of 5. As I showed a few pages back - the thumb rule would be every time both legs become ITM, we have to double the width.

i should rephrase my question - if there is a risk of sp falling next week, isn't wider width easier to roll for credit? the wider it is, the more it mimics CSP
Not really - smaller the width, easier to roll. Ofcourse, you get much less premium. For eg., if you start with a width of 5, you need to roll to a width of 10.

Now, if the SP goes down to somewhere in the middle of the spread .... the calculation gets a little different and would depend on a number of factors as to which one is easier to roll.

Elon also said Q4 will be epic maybe we should take advantage of P&D and hedge a lot for ER depending on what they say on the call 🤷‍♂️. He is really confusing.

Here is an interesting video of what has happened before when the Fed pivots. I wonder what will happen to Tesla as the interest goes down.

The “Epic Q4” comment came almost two months ago and the macro situation has deteriorated considerably since then. So I would go with what I know today.

The price cuts in China + the 3750 credit here in the US was probably not on his mind when he made the comment. All this while the price of Lithium has remained stubbornly high. IMO all this affects bottom line. Some of it will be offset by production and ramp efficiencies. Would love to see a 450K print for Q4 P&D which is possible.

It’s not all doom and gloom though especially if Fed speaks dovish. Any talk of pausing rate increases or slowing it down and/or any language on the odds of a soft landing improving is what we really need.

Boats from Fremont & Shanghai.

92FB24B0-B9B2-44DF-BAD8-73CC561AB1AA.jpeg

i am curious, what is the reasoning behind 155? ie 15 width

is it TA? income? delta? feeling?

coz i opened 170/150 and then i thought 20 was too tight and somewhat regretting it
Thumb to the wind / feeling really.

The $20 width is probably better and something that I'll move back to. It will also be expanding as the share price goes up, but I'm going on feel.

EDIT: Or I also like the idea of starting narrower, and then expanding the range if needed at roll time. That lowers the opening credit by making the insurance more expensive though ... more thinking is called for.

My weekend review of charts and stacked MaxPain: I still don’t know which way we’re going, and I’m still not trading because of rolling out into January in order to facilitate transfer to a new brokerage.

Charts are still in a nasty downtrend, but with double bottom seemingly formed at $165-$170. Reversal or dead cat bounce? I’m still worried that more pain is coming before EOY, though rumors of emergency board meeting and the possibility of buybacks might give the SP a little bounce. Remember, there will be the two week quiet period before EOY, so hedgies can do anything they want to manipulate during that time.

Interesting look of stacked MaxPain suggests lots of EOY options interest (orange/red) below current SP, while 2023 dates have more interest (purple) in the $185-$210 range. Meaning? Don’t know, but again perhaps betting that EOY lower and reversal after New Year. That’s still my most likely scenario, probably caused by tax loss harvesting. Interesting times ahead. Be careful, don’t over leverage and GLTA.

Edit: Somebody still really liked that strange p300 trading yesterday.

9CCEA239-8B97-445C-8D9C-27C58430D324.jpeg

BBE311EC-0175-49CA-B52F-EAAC33BBDFDE.jpeg

C381EAD4-38E9-4D5D-926A-A247B4615BD4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
$220 call : 13 cents
$160 put : $1.10

This is the CC problem we are facing. Safe call strike yields very little premium.

What I did to get semi-decent premium for CCs was to go further out. This past Friday (SP ~180) I sold 25x 245 CC's for 2/17/23 (65 days) and got $8,137.50 ($3.25/ea). My situation is I don't mind if they get called away (they are all at $242 CB) since it will pay off my margin in full (yay!) and then some.

If TSLA doesn't close over $245 before or by 2/17 then I'll just keep the $8k and sell again for April and choose a strike based on action then. However sentiment doesn't seem to support that we'll be at $245 in Feb; on the contrary we may be further below 160 by then, but who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Parenthetically, I may also get lucky this week or next and be able to BTC at 50%-80% profit this week if TSLA revisits 172-168. If so I *may* take the green and sell it again on next pop to 180's, though the risk is it will never go back up to capture the same premium.

Meanwhile I can use the $8k I got in premium to cover margin interest (6% $2,810/mo) and **SUGAR** puts (~$500/mo) to keep my account solvent until TSLA back over 200 consistently.

What I did to get semi-decent premium for CCs was to go further out. This past Friday (SP ~180) I sold 25x 245 CC's for 2/17/23 (65 days) and got $8,137.50 ($3.25/ea). My situation is I don't mind if they get called away (they are all at $242 CB) since it will pay off my margin in full (yay!) and then some.

If TSLA doesn't close over $245 before or by 2/17 then I'll just keep the $8k and sell again for April and choose a strike based on action then. However sentiment doesn't seem to support that we'll be at $245 in Feb; on the contrary we may be further below 160 by then, but who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Parenthetically, I may also get lucky this week or next and be able to BTC at 50%-80% profit this week if TSLA revisits 172-168. If so I *may* take the green and sell it again on next pop to 180's, though the risk is it will never go back up to capture the same premium.

Meanwhile I can use the $8k I got in premium to cover margin interest (6% $2,810/mo) and **SUGAR** puts (~$500/mo) to keep my account solvent until TSLA back over 200 consistently.
Extending this logic to its natural conclusion is why I often have dabbled in just selling CCs for the longest dated strike available. Right now I'm back to selling weeklies because it doesn't make sense to sell a super long dated call at a ~2 year low, but doing the math on "safe" weeklies, you could get the equivalent return by selling like a Jan 2025 $450 or something. (I'm approximating here based on the last time I did the comparison a few weeks ago).

I know most of all of us on this forum are very bullish in the long term, so capping upside to "only" $450 a share seems like a bad idea, but I fear that scenario a lot less than I fear getting my face ripped off selling a weekly CCs when a hertz-buying-100k-teslas kind of week happens and you have to scramble to get out/roll.

I'm curious how others here think about this tradeoff? If (feels like a pipe dream at this point) we ever get a crazy run up like we had in 2021 I will certainly just sell some not too far OTM LEAPS and be happy.

Extending this logic to its natural conclusion is why I often have dabbled in just selling CCs for the longest dated strike available. Right now I'm back to selling weeklies because it doesn't make sense to sell a super long dated call at a ~2 year low, but doing the math on "safe" weeklies, you could get the equivalent return by selling like a Jan 2025 $450 or something. (I'm approximating here based on the last time I did the comparison a few weeks ago).

I know most of all of us on this forum are very bullish in the long term, so capping upside to "only" $450 a share seems like a bad idea, but I fear that scenario a lot less than I fear getting my face ripped off selling a weekly CCs when a hertz-buying-100k-teslas kind of week happens and you have to scramble to get out/roll.

I'm curious how others here think about this tradeoff? If (feels like a pipe dream at this point) we ever get a crazy run up like we had in 2021 I will certainly just sell some not too far OTM LEAPS and be happy.

After being burnt recently by paying $10k to BTC 58x 12/2 200 CC’s a couple of weeks ago (was considered a safe strike even by EWT; was going to net me a stupid $1k) when suddenly we were at $198 and knocking at $200’s door and I couldn’t risk letting it close over $200 and losing all my shares, the way I deal with selling CC’s now and in the immediate future is to only sell for a strike I’m willing to have the shares called away (i.e., above my CB).

With this in mind, since weeklies pay little for 245 strike, I choose a date further out (but not too far out) until the premium is more substantial.

The reason I don’t want to go too far out even for more premium is because in the past I found myself handcuffed to a CC that I STO at a high strike ($50 over my CB) and was unable to cut the shares loose at a lower price TSLA hit in the interim that was above my CB and would have freed up margin without taking a loss had I been able to sell them then. I don’t want to be in that position again.

P.S. The 12/2 200 never closed over 200 at the end 🤬. IIRC @EVNow waited it out and got out of his for $0.01 cent! I wasn’t as brave 😭

After being burnt recently by paying $10k to BTC 58x 12/2 200 CC’s a couple of weeks ago (was considered a safe strike even by EWT; was going to net me a stupid $1k) when suddenly we were at $198 and knocking at $200’s door and I couldn’t risk letting it close over $200 and losing all my shares, the way I deal with selling CC’s now and in the immediate future is to only sell for a strike I’m willing to have the shares called away (i.e., above my CB).

With this in mind, since weeklies pay little for 245 strike, I choose a date further out (but not too far out) until the premium is more substantial.

The reason I don’t want to go too far out even for more premium is because in the past I found myself handcuffed to a CC that I STO at a high strike ($50 over my CB) and was unable to cut the shares loose at a lower price TSLA hit in the interim that was above my CB and would have freed up margin without taking a loss had I been able to sell them then. I don’t want to be in that position again.

P.S. The 12/2 200 never closed over 200 at the end 🤬. IIRC @EVNow waited it out and got out of his for $0.01 cent! I wasn’t as brave 😭
This is all part of being cautious when you get started, and building scenarios on paper to get comfortable with the trade-offs between %OTM and DTE and $ of premium. In some ways, shorter DTE makes it more likely you can escape a sudden price escalation, but it isn’t certain, and multiple monthlies can give the illusion of safety but also come with more time for sudden spikes to occur. You may find that a middle ground on all parameters offers a reasonable risk:reward, and while it takes more work, running 13 biweeklies instead of 1 6-month could have higher return for the effort. For one, I have settled on trying to be fairly strict with +10% OTM biweeklies and getting close to $2/contract with occasional rolling which is less per week.

$220 call : 13 cents
$160 put : $1.10

This is the CC problem we are facing. Safe call strike yields very little premium.
I should actually note ... $219 is not correct for 15.57% over closing SP of 180. 15.57% would give us 208. (@Yoona ?) That would give us a premium of $0.36 for 207.50 strike. Not too bad .... thats the kind of money I've been getting with spreads anyway.

1670812530815.png

The problem with long term CCs is that - you will have delivery numbers, EA etc coming in between that can really propel the stock up. With weeklies you can skip those events.

When I got caught with cash covered puts soon after Covid hit, I did what you explained. I sold 800 strike CC a few months out that gave me a little premium. As we know the market after initial collapse suddenly came back up. I was fortunate to not get caught ... the CC expired just as the SP came back up and I was able to keeping selling CCs and didn't miss out any upside.

Reactions: BornToFly
Yoona's TSLA Safe Iron Condor Range for 5 DTE Trading - Last 52 Weeks

View attachment 883811

2022 OTM:
View attachment 883830
Futures lower, CPI & Fed upcoming, and Elon thinks “prosecute” is a pronoun. Hmmmm, maybe everyone’s CCs are safe and Yoona’s $164 target will be tested this week. I can’t believe that my 12/30 -c160 b/w has a decent chance of expiring worthless.:mad: