Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took profit closing 12/16 -c180. Taking @mongo Saturday post non-advice to not look at position but value, I used proceeds to close out Jan '23 -c210 so that I can re-deploy... that position wasn't going to deliver anything more. Thinking to move Jan '25 -c550 in to achieve the same; rather than close for full debit, roll in for half and expire early... but that's 12/16 -c187.5 ... nah.

EDIT: Sent half to 12/16 -c195, other half to same 12/16 -c200.
Are you saying you sold a juicy Jan '25 -c550, and after an SP drop could roll it to those 12/16/22 CC?

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
I strongly advise against selling fresh CC's here. It looks to me we might have completed wave 2 of 3.

The risk : reward is terrible for opening fresh CCs.

If I'm wrong and we go down much further, most you're going to gain is ~ $1 per share
If I'm right and we shoot up with CPI tomorrow, you'll be looking at the biggest spike up within this sequence and there'll be no guarantee it will pullback at a certain level...

Early AM tomorrow will be when last week Tesla insurance registration in China comes out. Could be a catalyst - or not.
Thanks for brightening up my week. If we shoot up tomorrow I will sell CCs at the end of the day. Already made my weekly income today. So I am in no rush. Just want to avoid margin calls at $151

Are you saying you sold a juicy Jan '25 -c550, and after an SP drop could roll it to those 12/16/22 CC?
No. It was a Jan '24 -c550 that I rolled to in March (was a 1650) that I already made good on (65% profit), just wanted to buy the contracts back by rolling down to this week expecting to close early, like today or by picking a strike that is probable to expire. The thought was that I may as well move the contracts and save a couple debit points along the way.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Triple-Witching OPEX on Friday with MP &t 190, so Hedgies could just be pushing it down as far as they can to cover a cold CPI print tomorrow that would spike stocks back up... that's one thing, however the first call-wall this week is -c165, and in recent history, Hedgies have done all they can to not pay out on calls while seeming to mostly ignore puts - which to me says they don't want to give away their shares and are happy to buy as many as they can down here - an doing it via puts doesn't cause the SP to rise...

1670875462835.png

Watching CPI numbers closely tomorrow, if we come in above 0.4-.5, I am likely buying February 100 puts simply to hedge against a catastrophic event.
I've been numb to the pain thus far, but the lower we keep going the more unpredictable the stock is getting. Would feel better to have some type of hedge in place.
I have been making so much money selling CCs. But I am at a point where it it not funny anymore seeing all the money I make going down everyday. Pretty depressing stock market.

Hi all. I'm struggling with deciding whether or not to cancel my Roadster deposit so I can sell puts / buy shares. I made a thread on it here. I'd really appreciate the opinions of the minds in the greatest thread in this whole club. :). Cancel Roadster deposit to reinvest in TSLA/sell TSLA puts?

Thank you!
If you cancel your roadster reservation, I would also suggest selling your house, then invest everything in TSLA and buy something 10x bigger in 2030.

Watching CPI numbers closely tomorrow, if we come in above 0.4-.5, I am likely buying February 100 puts simply to hedge against a catastrophic event.
I've been numb to the pain thus far, but the lower we keep going the more unpredictable the stock is getting. Would feel better to have some type of hedge in place.
Same here - except I'm watching tweets by a particular person closely for signs of intelligence ;)

Triple-Witching OPEX on Friday with MP &t 190, so Hedgies could just be pushing it down as far as they can to cover a cold CPI print tomorrow that would spike stocks back up... that's one thing, however the first call-wall this week is -c165, and in recent history, Hedgies have done all they can to not pay out on calls while seeming to mostly ignore puts - which to me says they don't want to give away their shares and are happy to buy as many as they can down here - an doing it via puts doesn't cause the SP to rise...

View attachment 884149

Gamma exposure lightly mimics the flow data. 160 is like 180 , 150 is just a distraction ... just look at all the confidence spanning 165 to 185 :)
The 12/16 chart was from the options data last week for this week. Today's chart highlights some of the shift to the center of the overall range. We're gonna ride this baby out! GLTA!!!!

TSLA-TotalGamma-12Dec2022.png
TSLA-TotalGamma-08Dec2022.png

NEWS RELEASES​

CPI for all items rises 0.1% in November as shelter and food increase
12/13/2022
In November, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.1 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 7.1 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.2 percent in November (SA); up 6.0 percent over the year (NSA).
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts | Local and Regional CPI

NEXT RELEASE​

December 2022 CPI data are scheduled to be released on January 12, 2023, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.

NEWS RELEASES​

CPI for all items rises 0.1% in November as shelter and food increase
12/13/2022
In November, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.1 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 7.1 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.2 percent in November (SA); up 6.0 percent over the year (NSA).
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts | Local and Regional CPI

NEXT RELEASE​

December 2022 CPI data are scheduled to be released on January 12, 2023, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
That’s some game changing news

Now I am happy I closed my CCs yesterday. Don’t know if I should sell new ones today or tomorrow. That’s the question. Will Powell crash markets after good CPI numbers

That’s some game changing news

Now I am happy I closed my CCs yesterday. Don’t know if I should sell new ones today or tomorrow. That’s the question. Will Powell crash markets after good CPI numbers
I closed the short term, but left the long term open.
Not such a big deal yet and those long term CC's are easily manageable.
Short term I would only reopen when we see 185 to sell 200+ for next week.
I usually don't sell CC's with same week expiry.

Powell is unpredictable. He could say their work is not over yet and more hikes are in play... But he could also say they will consider .25 next year.