Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so confused. I'm looking at 200 calls for Friday and the price action doesn't seem in line with the stock price. What's up?

View attachment 884447View attachment 884448
This is organic selling from what I can tell. If it’s not Elon it’s some other big whale liquidating. There is no other way to explain this action. I think we will see some news this week either form 4s or something else that might fundamentally(pun intended) explain this drop.

edit: If this is Elon selling again…then we can see more bulls getting out.

This is organic selling from what I can tell. If it’s not Elon it’s some other big whale liquidating. There is no other way to explain this action. I think we will see some news this week either form 4s or something else that might fundamentally(pun intended) explain this drop.
Could be both. Elon had 3 billion in unsecured debt paying 10%+ and appeared to have sold some SpaceX stock. If it is not Elon, there could be some market intel that will disappoint for year end sales. Glad I sold more CC's this morning. Rolled half my 200 calls to 185 and 10 205 to 190. Will close my 200 calls and sell more if we rebound this afternoon.
I had an idea that we would drop about another 8%, from where we are now, before rebounding. That was about 3 months ago. I wish I paid more attention to myself sometimes, but I really wished I was wrong.

Could be both. Elon had 3 billion in unsecured debt paying 10%+ and appeared to have sold some SpaceX stock. If it is not Elon, there could be some market intel that will disappoint for year end sales. Glad I sold more CC's this morning. Rolled half my 200 calls to 185 and 10 205 to 190. Will close my 200 calls and sell more if we rebound this afternoon.
I had an idea that we would drop about another 8%, from where we are now, before rebounding. That was about 3 months ago. I wish I paid more attention to myself sometimes, but I really wished I was wrong.

I’m of the belief that Elon has been signaling problems with this quarter, his comments about interest rates and the anectodal tweet below is not pure coincidence.

And add to that if Elon sold this week then keep looking out below as there is no support until 150. It’s not how any of us expected this to turn out but man it’s tough to find a positive in any of this.

Is a buyback coming? If the quarter looks bad and they announce a buyback you can see how that could send the wrong signal to the market.

Blew up my trading account. Took losses on multiple positions. Sold long term shares.

Trying to keep account from completely disappearing if stock goes to 100. Think I have managed that now. I swore no margin use when I started this account in 2018. Was up 66X, now am up 10X. If I had never tapped that margin, probably would still be up 30X.

Tesla probably has never been a better buy from the standpoint of being secure in its continued existence. If we hit ATHs again someday, I will have most of my account back, but at least 30% will never be seen again unless I turn into a trading superstar.

So it goes.

Sure looks like a capitulation day with the insane volume, but I have thought that many times the past few months.

All the best!

Anecdotal stories but I got spooked, sold another batch of shares in my margin account for $180.38, maybe bulls can take my shares and get rich. by the way I discovered that I could actually work around the cover call restriction on my brokeage, I sold CC's earlier, and I sold the shares after, for now I have more short calls than I have shares to cover then,(doesn't matter because 12/9 -200c would probably expire worthless even after hours) I should have just sold the shares flat out last week at $194 instead of trying to milk the $3.39 premium at 12/9 -200c, only to sell shares at $180 so that's still an additional $11/Share loss.

Anyway maybe I'm a rainbow bear. I live in one of the largest EV markets in Canada/NA, the lower mainland, where we have the highest gas price in North America most of the time and high % EV adoption, and I heard from a friend shopping for a tesla that that Tesla actually have stock on cars (She told me stocks in the surrey/richmond delivery centers), and the sales have time to talk to her every couple of days. I haven't seen this in a long time, so either demand is weak, or production is actually catching up to demand. (Tesla Canada financing rate 6.69%). when I bought my tesla's the sales are usually very busy, ignores your emails and you have to wait for your car, there is never stock. This is all very surprising to me as we approach what is traditionally the busiest month with the busiest quarter. Perhaps Tesla is dumping their Q4 USA inventory in Canada as the Americans wait for the biden tax credit, which could explain this, but if not then this could be a canary in the coal mine with the North american Supply/demand curve. I hope I'm just a rainbow bear that worries too much, and I will have fun stay poor and be wrong at selling the bottom. But just in case, I'm not sure if a North American slowdown is priced in, tesla may have to cut prices china style which will hurt margins, EPS, and compress the stock further, we may be in some short term pain (long term i m still bullish) I'm not willing to gamble with the bank's money, only my own, so sold some more shares. I'm overall still heavily in TSLA (with my own $).

I'm 100% cash account now, no more margin, do have a small-ish cash position for rolling options or buying the dip.

tldr: I'm a rainbow bear in the short term so sold more stocks at $180.

Positions: 12/9 -200c ($3.39 premium) 12/16 -185c ($5.45 premium) 12/16 -210c ($2.62 premium) 1/20/2023 -175c ($14.65 premium)
Wow TSLA is like an albatross to my accounts at $158 but I need to buy my friend a fancy dinner for saving my margin account from total destruction. The lower mainland sales intel she gave me was ahead by a few days of even the social media/tmc....

12/9 -200c expired worthless 12/16 -185c 92% profit, 12/16 -210c 96% profit 1/20/2023 -175c is like 45% profit $171 sold batch ahead by $13, $172 sold batch ahead by $14, $180 sold batch ahead by $22. Honestly I wish i sold more stock.....my portfolio is still getting destroyed but at least I slowed down the burn with no margin....

I set a limit order to buy back some at $145 (probably buy write).

Hanging on by a thread here. Have more cash coming Friday....Not really sure what else to do besides sell long term CC at a price point I am not happy about.

Have DITM JUN2024 360's that I cant really roll for any benefit. I could roll them to Jan 2025 and up? But that seems not ideal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I also have 4x Feb 285's that I could roll up and out to 3x or 2x Jan 2025's?

• Informative
Reactions: corduroy
I’m of the belief that Elon has been signaling problems with this quarter, his comments about interest rates and the anectodal tweet below is not pure coincidence.

And add to that if Elon sold this week then keep looking out below as there is no support until 150. It’s not how any of us expected this to turn out but man it’s tough to find a positive in any of this.

Is a buyback coming? If the quarter looks bad and they announce a buyback you can see how that could send the wrong signal to the market.

We didn't take delivery of our Y (lease rates too high) ... they gave us 2 week notice and cancelled the booking. This was end of last quarter.

There will definitely be a lot of that this month ... with just a month to go before tax credits.

I should note - a lot of cars that were getting sold end of last quarter had low price (booked before price increases). So for us waiting for lower lease price (that would include IRA tax credits next year) had to be balanced with lower booking price. Ofcourse Tesla was happy to cancel older bookings at lower prices.

ps : Just as an aside, those who don't qualify for tax credit because of high income can still get some credit by leasing (Tesla gets the credits and passes on the savings).

Just had to sell another 10,000 shares at 159. I'm down to 1/3 of the shares I had 10 months ago, and 2/3 of my remaining shares are capped with 2024CC at 220 and 230. Never thought I would get completely screwed by Elon's antics with an SP in the (pre-split) 400s at this point.

Rolled Puts I had at 160 and 170 to 150/155 for mid and end of January respectively.

Last edited:
Just had to sell another 10,000 shares at 159. I'm down to 1/3 of the shares I had 10 months ago, and 2/3 of my remaining shares are capped with 2024CC at 220 and 230. Never thought I would get completely screwed by Elon's antics with an SP in the (pre-split) 400s at this point.

Rolled Puts I had at 160 and 170 to 150/155 for mid and end of January respectively.
If only Elon had lost his Twitter password, the SP would still be $300 post split. Instead of that I have again been assigned 8 underwater puts of 420 that had an expiration in June 2024.

Sold the shares and sold the Puts back in 01/2025. Below 151, I am starting to liquidate my core shares and buy back puts contracts.

Oh well, it was an interesting experiment to see how an investment/ trading account can get blown up by macros/richest man in the work/social media/my blind hope TSLA would always recover.

Time to turn my attention away from the stock market and find new investment opportunities.

If only Elon had lost his Twitter password, the SP would still be $300 post split. Instead of that I have again been assigned 8 underwater puts of 420 that had an expiration in June 2024.

Sold the shares and sold the Puts back in 01/2025. Below 151, I am starting to liquidate my core shares and buy back puts contracts.

Oh well, it was an interesting to see how an investment/ trading account can get blown up by macros/richest man in the work/social media/my blind hope TSLA would always recover
Yeah, I capitulated and bought back all my puts. That was the biggest mistake I made trading. They don't go to zero, they just keep going negative. Fact that I had eight figure in margin available meant nothing. I am sorry for my brethren that got caught with BPS. I was too chicken to mess with those and boy was I right, account would be gone by now, although it is never too late.

Have other cash account and I have the same issue with CSPs, but no margin, if they assign, they assign, don't care, don't sweat it.

Oh well, it was an interesting to see how an investment/ trading account can get blown up by macros/richest man in the work/social media/my blind hope TSLA would always recover

I am getting close to a margin call and I am here wondering that if I can keep buying cheap puts in a way I am digging myself deeper in a hole. I am going to try to wait it out until P&D to see what happens and then I will have to make some drastic moves. My plan was to sell Jan 24 300cc but it never got even close to my target price.

Here are some lessons that I have learned this year:

• Don't sell BPS or BCS
  • Don't use margin
  • Don't fall in love with a stock
  • Don't believe in hopium

Even though I “thought” the hedgies would push the SP Dow to $150, I STILL can’t believe what’s happening today. There aren’t enough angry emoji for this.😰🥵🤬 Rolled down 12/30 -c185s to -c160s & -c170s. Originally STO 2-wks ago at $14.20, BTC at $1.85. Only got $9.00 & $5.00 on the -c160s & -c170s. Crazy, maybe I’ll lose these, but it doesn’t look likely today. This was in my small account and bought a handful of shares at $158.19. Unfortunately, not enough cash in a larger ROTH account to facilitate rolling my $185 straddle today, so I’ll just have to wait until the CCs decay some more. The other IRA is still being transferred to a different brokerage, so just waiting. I really want to roll down and pickup some more shares in the $150s, but I’ll just have to wait. Really sorry to see this action, especially for those with BPS losses, margin, and (formerly) larger accounts.