Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviewing my trading journal notes and saw that on the first day of trading last year after announcing record Q4 P&D numbers, TSLA closed up 13.5% to 1199 (pre-split). On the first day of trading this year after another record Q4 P&D, TSLA closed down 12.2% to 108. The sentiment seems to have shifted...
That was BIll Gates' new years resolution to short the worlds richest man. Does seem like a full court press as tough as the Model 3 rollout to hit TSLA, but it was all Elon and Twitter this time. Bill apparently made about 17-20 billion. If he hasn't gotten out of the trade yet, that could be a bigger impetus for the stock than a 10 billion buyback (at least short term).

Reactions: Nocturnal
Price disconneceted from fundamentals, gamma exposure may be as well. It doesn't look too bad considering. My Sep '24 290 CSP is running low on extrinsic, has one more roll for a few more dollars max, a roll down and out to Jan '25 270 is only a few dollars on top of same strike roll same expiry. It's just lousy anywhere I look. I guess it's inevitable that I will take assignment one day and have hold for a couple years... and maybe sell then at a loss. Crazy as it is, I did deleverage quite a bit. Glad to have done that event if it mean letting go of good shares.

Looking for a shift of sentiment and small bump up to the mid 100-teens to write a couple BCS contracts.

TSLA-TotalGamma-03Jan2023.png

• Informative
Reactions: Yoona and ice
Crap. Another day when I went to the hospital to help another surgeon all day, so I couldn't trade. I was planning on selling CC at the open, but was afraid of a rebound while I wasn't watching. So instead of making $3/contract at what would have been a safe strike around 120, I probably made less than $800 in 7 hours of surgery as an assistant. Tomorrow will probably be too risky to sell CC for the rest of the week.

Now I have to worry about my BPSs getting assigned tonight.

I lost half of my taxable account because of margin and my account is almost back to a cash account, but lately I have been feeling like throwing in the towel. How long can this go? It feels like Tesla was just a bubble and we were blinded by greed. I had the HOLD mentality that kept me from taking any decent amount off the table and hoping for more. I wish I could get back the money that I paid in taxes from trading last year because I could buy all my positions back without losing a share. If somehow the stock makes it back to $230 by the end of year I think I am going to cash out and buy index funds and never look back. I will take peace of mind over money any day. I should have sold when Elon sold 🤣 . This was a good lesson for the future and thankfully like others I am in my late 30's and have a job. Another mistake that I made was not to get rid of all my debt when the stock was high but I thought it made more sense to have the money invested since interest rates were so low... what a mistake. Thankfully it is only a little over $100k. I am mentally exhausted after letting the opportunity of a lifetime escape from my hands, millions down the drain, and I have no confidence in Tesla's recovery especially with Elon's behavior even if the company is performing well. My wife told me just to sell positions on margin but hold the shares for the long term but I have to tell you I feel really scared. I have to go back to my old Mr. Money Mustache ways until the stock recovers.
Thanks for writing this, it feels very familiar. I'm down to a portfolio of about $150k from a peak of $800k, which is/was a HUGE amount for me. Could have paid off my mortgage or retired early. I'm frigging stressed every day, have trouble sleeping, and I feel mad at myself and stupid for not liquidating at 800, 700, even 600k.

I got cocky, did not diversify and used too much leverage. I never imagined TSLA going town to these frigging levels. Yes, people warned me, and I did not listen.

I guess the upside is that I did really learn my lesson regarding margin, leverage and options. Nothing beats experiencing it for yourself!

I'm still holding my stock and LEAPS, hoping for a recovery (I know, hope is not a strategy).

Selling CCs on my LEAPs and deliveraging
Is it the time to do so or at the end of the day
I'm not sure any of us can answer that, but I expected some volatility at open, so setup some order before main market, they all triggered (which was good as my broker app and website went AWOL for the first 10 minutes of main market):

- STO 1/13: 4x -c115 @$4.1 & 52x -c130 @$1.1

- Rolled 4x -p115 to 1/13 net +$2

I guess I'd forgotten the uptick rule was in place today, although I'm really not convinced it makes much difference, shorts gonna short regardless

Maybe markets are anticipating dovish FED minutes - that could pop stocks later in the day, or crash them too, flip a coin perhaps? Do half now, half later, I don't know...

For me, I have those -p115's, I was able to close and take $2 profit and resell for +$2 more, with the calls straddling them -> rolling 4x ITM is not an issue

For the -c130's, that's >20% from yesterday's close, yes could happen, but I think unlikely, and even if ITM, can't imagine would be that deep (famous last words)

I've only committed 48% of my shares with these trades, still 60x contracts I could write if I wished, which facilitates rolling if need be

No relief from JOLTS numbers - they came in above expectations.

EDIT: I overlooked yesterday that Fed minutes are due out today at 11AM PT / 2PM ET today. Will be interesting to see if those shed some light on whether the Fed actually took into consideration the surprisingly cool November CPI print that came out just before the meeting. Either way, could be yet another macro catalyst...

Last edited:
This year a significant whack of production was lost due to covid shutdown in Shanghai. That is a meaningful explanation of the 50% down to 40% shortfall.
Tesla only lost from 50% to 47% production-wise. It is very clever to flatten the delivery-wave now for at least 2 reasons:
1. Demand is not so strong in a recession, but strong enough to keep prices at a desirable level.
2. The EOQ peak is not sustainable when delivering 20.000.000 cars, but at that point you are far to late to adapt so when would you do it ideally?
See 1..

In my experience, yes.

EDIT - and the margin calculator should show you this when you have placed the first position, and then test margin impact for the second position.

Argh !!! Fidelity did it again. Instead of a spread, they applied the short call as a CC and left the long leg as a long call. It is so annoying , the pairing messes with the management of the position. I know I have to close out the spread as a spread - but I have to keep track of this position separate.

Argh !!! Fidelity did it again. Instead of a spread, they applied the short call as a CC and left the long leg as a long call. It is so annoying , the pairing messes with the management of the position. I know I have to close out the spread as a spread - but I have to keep track of this position separate.
They won't always pair things in the margin calculator the way you do. As the SP changes, they pair positions differently to optimize your margin. Not a big deal as long as the margin requirement isn't higher than you expect.

Thanks for writing this, it feels very familiar. I'm down to a portfolio of about $150k from a peak of $800k, which is/was a HUGE amount for me. Could have paid off my mortgage or retired early. I'm frigging stressed every day, have trouble sleeping, and I feel mad at myself and stupid for not liquidating at 800, 700, even 600k.

I got cocky, did not diversify and used too much leverage. I never imagined TSLA going town to these frigging levels. Yes, people warned me, and I did not listen.

I guess the upside is that I did really learn my lesson regarding margin, leverage and options. Nothing beats experiencing it for yourself!

I'm still holding my stock and LEAPS, hoping for a recovery (I know, hope is not a strategy).
You aren't alone. I'm down a similar percent for similar reasons, just a larger starting point. It's been an expensive education.

Survived another night. No DITM Jan 2024 or 2025 Puts assigned last night. Anyone get assignments?

Got my last 4x 350 puts Jan2025 assigned

Couldn’t roll them yesterday because I had 40k of margin call to cover so I thought about rolling them down to 250 today but was assigned overnight.

I liquidated my value stocks to free up margin and sell back the shares and sell -p250 Jan2025 instead

What do you guys think about splitting an under water contract into 2 or more contracts with the same premium combined? That way you can lower your strike significantly. Also an option to pair it with a cheap bought put to preserve margin?
I’m thinking about splitting 210 jan 25 put into 2x 150 with 2 bought 40 puts.
When possible roll even lower and further out should SP stay this way.

What do you guys think about splitting an under water contract into 2 or more contracts with the same premium combined? That way you can lower your strike significantly. Also an option to pair it with a cheap bought put to preserve margin?
That actually sounds like a good idea, is your max loss increasing ?

The most important thing, as with any other strategy, is whether the stock price goes up or down after you're pushed it through. If it goes down, your 2x 150P will lose more than the 1x 210. In thinking that lower strike prices are better, you're betting that this is the bottom or close to 1. If it isn't the bottom, how much more of a downturn you can withstand if you're short 2x 150 instead of 1x 210?