Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to go long several hundred shares as reserve for some short calls, but “never buy at resistance/top” right? But then I missed $221 and $230.

Would any of you long here or TSLA is bound to come back to earth soon?

We are near the record for max # of green days in a row.

That doesn't mean the inevitable red day will be large though..... so probably matters less for shares than it would for options.

No put buying in sight, how does this make sense when it's so over-extended?

1686254111311.png

I can only conclude a whale must be loading up. Slow, steady accumulation over the last month without any crazy spikes. This might imply that we’re less likely to dip back down.

🫣

Imagine CPI is good and the Fed pause next week…watch out above.

My poor short calls ;-(

Is it true that one can go into a margin call if the SP rises and short calls go redder and redder? If yes, what are some fixes other than BTC at big losses ($35k etc)?

Longtime lurker, first time poster - in this thread. I have been having some moderate success in selling CC's over the years, but have gotten a bit more aggressive lately. Not the best time to get more aggressive given the recent price action, but I believe I have saved myself some grief by buying offsetting Calls over the past few days. Here are my positions:

4x TSLA 230616C213.33 @ 7.51 (Bought) / 22.75 current
3x TSLA 230616C222.50 @ 4.46 (Sold) / 15.25 current

and

5x TSLA 230616C225.00 @ 9.80 (Bought) / 13.43 current
5x TSLA 230616C235.00 @ 3.00 (Sold) / 7.60 current

In both cases, I had sold some Calls, watch the underlying continue to run and rather than roll or sell at loss, bought Calls to cap the potential loss, and ideally, eek out a gain given the difference in strikes. The first set is in a taxable account, the second is not. I'm slightly upside down on the second set of positions, but the gap is narrowing as SP rises.

The way I see it, I may let the second set exercise if we do hold over 235 next week, assuming I hold until expiration. I think I should close the first set sooner or later as I do not want to have these exercise and they are decently ITM as of today. I still don't have a terribly strong stomach for these, and may just close both sets and sell some longer dated higher strikes to take advantage of the hot streak.

Still learning, appreciate the existence of this thread.

edit - I see we are over $240 AH now, so these positions should just max out at the strike differential, capping my gains.

Last edited:
My short call triage plan:

6/9
-C230 (x7) - Covered shares
-C245 (x18) - Covered shares

6/16
-C225 (x6) - Covered by rebuying shares if called away 6/9, possibly at loss if have to buy at higher cost
-C230 (x2) - Same
-C243.33 (x19) - Same

6/30
-C215 (x6) - Covered by rebuying shares if called away 6/16, but will be at decent loss if have to buy at 240+
-C220 (x15) - Covered by rebuying shares if called away 6/16, but will be at loss if have to buy at 240+
-C300 (x25) - Not worried

7/21
-C240 (x15) - Covered by rebuying shares if called away 6/30, but will be at loss if have to buy at higher cost
-C245 (x4) — Same

9/15
-C240 (x19) — This one is likely most dangerous. Will likely roll or BTC with -P money.

——

Does this plan make sense? I’m not doing this long enough to know.