Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STO - 08/04 - $260C's - $10 each
BTO - 09/01 - $220P's - $2.50 each

Market is in the 3 day digestion period after Fed yesterday and I think we get a market half flush that will be accelerated by profit taken from momentum traders that rode this up for the past few months.

I also have some Collars on SPY - Sell a Call - buy a Put for September 1st
Got stopped out of my SPY collars and my Bought Puts -
Closed out the calls for a $2 gain from yesterday that covers the loss (almost - fees got me for a couple of bucks)

I guess the PCE this morning gave the market what it needed.

IV for next week is extremely low. Be careful out there.

Got stopped out of my SPY collars and my Bought Puts -
Closed out the calls for a $2 gain from yesterday that covers the loss (almost - fees got me for a couple of bucks)

I guess the PCE this morning gave the market what it needed.

IV for next week is extremely low. Be careful out there.

Be careful in which direction?

I sold $255p yesterday for $6 and closed them at $2.8 too early today.

Either direction - that's the thing - IV is so low that to get any premium you need to be closer to the money - which is more dangerous.
It’s a natural thing. You eye a specific amount of weekly premium, but forget how close to the current SP you sometimes get. I tend to go lower/higher 2 weeks out if that’s the case, but not always best decision as well.

Damn, got played by the markets this week, in the end the straight roll of all -p270 and -c270 to next week would have been best, but there you go!

Earlier rolled 30x 7/28 -p270 to 8/4 -p260 for $1 cost
We all get played sooner or later, for me it’s usually both.:mad: I think the move to 260 will eventually be very profitable. From my perspective, another decently profitable week. Those $0.50 ICs referenced below, and my -c272.50s went to essential zero (could have, maybe even should have, let them expire worthless). I cleared enough profit to buyback another Jan2025 -c220, so that’s nice. Decided to roll the short ICs and CCs into next week, which may or may not have been the smart thing to do. Furthermore, to pull out some additional premium, I rolled the CCs DOWN to -c265s. I definitely did it too early and missed the run up into the close, so gave away a decent timing profit. However, I’m worried about those 50,000x August 260 straddles acting like a magnet for the SP, so selling early for next week is a mini-hedge for a possible continuation of Thursday’s bear raid. In any case, I’ve kept a fair amount of cash for reacting to SP changes and/or opening new ICs on Wednesday. As always, GLTA.

Edit: added graphic below. We closed just slightly above the 2/3 speed line, which can act as support or resistance, depending on whether the SP is above or below the line. Next week will be pivotal as the bears try to drop the SP below the line, and bulls try to keep it above into that wedge terminating around $280. My bets are with the bears. Still lots of open interest on September 210/220 puts.
I closed out my +250/-270/+290 IB near the AM high, and I’m glad for that. I’ve been burned on those too many times on expiration day. Still holding a few wide +p247/-p257/-c277/+c287 ICs at $0.50, but most everything was rolled to next week.
Ok, it’s pretty obvious that TSLA is being driven by the options market this week. Up down and close within pennies of $270. Yes, I’m pretty happy about it, with IBs at +p250/-pc270/+c290 and ICs at +p250/-p260/-c280/+c290. Bought back 275&280 CCs during the MMD and resold $272.50s when we got back to $270 this afternoon. Willing to roll if needed.
IMG_2168.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking we drift with the market for the next month with no real catalysts I know of coming up. So maybe the low IV is warranted and we're range-bound around 250-280 - or maybe that's just wishful thinking for my CSPs and CCs. I miss having to worry about CCs because the
stock is rocketing up, but at least I got to close some formerly ITM CCs and then doubled contracts on others to increase strike to be near the money for next week.

CCs started sub-200 in Q1: 8/4 -c260/265/267.5/275
CSPs rolled after getting run over by the post-ER drop: 8/4 -p270/275/280

Last edited:
I'm thinking we drift with the market for the next month with no real catalysts I know of coming up. So maybe the low IV is warranted and we're range-bound around 250-280 - or maybe that's just wishful thinking for my CSPs and CCs. I miss having to worry about CCs because the
stock is rocketing up, but at least I got to close some formerly ITM CCs and then doubled contracts on others to increase strike to be near the money for next week.

CCs started sub-200 in Q1: 8/4 -c260/265/267.5/275
CSPs rolled after getting run over by the post-ER drop: 8/4 -p270/275/280
Keep in mind many thought the same thing before NACS adoption coincided with one of the longest green streaks we've seen

Keep in mind many thought the same thing before NACS adoption coincided with one of the longest green streaks we've seen

I was one of those who thought that - that's where these ITM CCs came from. I should have taken the loss to close them out when sentiment changed. Even still, I'd be overjoyed to be at 350+ a month from now even with these CCs.

Anyone here have Fidelity? I've been trying to make an options trade this morning using both their web client and their app, and both options are unable to ever show me the strike prices for any options.
Yeah, nothings populating. I don’t use my Fidelity account too much for options, but everything else seems to be working. That’s quite the fail!

Reactions: JusRelax
STO -C280 8/4 @ $1.35.
I plan to close it Monday if over 267.50.
STC BTC @1.05 for modest gains for safety, planning to STO 8/4 -C285 or -C282.50 at a retest of $273 if it fails.
FYI, just to help people keep their nomenclature correct. You sold to open earlier, so must buy to close.

In other news, there are still lots of bearish Sept 210/220 put spreads being opened. Somebody is still betting on the SP dropping.

Quiet on this thread today, just like the market. Everyone must be on vacation like me.🙂🥳😎 Tomorrow’s levels from Wicked Stocks: $266.12 is the pivotal point at opening (right at the 2/3 speed line which can act as support or resistance). Above=up day, below=down day. Range then is $274.87-$260.56.
IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

Notice also that we printed a Dragonfly Doji which is suggestive of a SP reversal (so maybe down tomorrow, though needs another day for confirmation, and the week trend is flat anyway). So, pretty weak TA, volume, chatter all points to a day at the beach. This week’s ICs will certainly appreciate a flat week. Enjoy and GLTA.
IMG_0359.jpeg