Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a hard time reading it much anymore, even scrolling past 80% of it. I guess people who are used to being slammed by the slings and arrows of options are more humble :)
People who have been here for more than 2 years have experienced losses over what 99% of the population have.

This is the resilience thread

There must have been some extrinsic on those, pretty nice for you
I don't completely understand this mentality. This is only true if you turn around and resell the exact same option at the exact same time. Assignments happen overnight and if the share price shot up, then you wouldn't be able to recoup that extrinsic as the same option is now worth less when you resell it. However, if it went down, then good for you. Not always a win. Am I missing something?

I don't completely understand this mentality. This is only true if you turn around and resell the exact same option at the exact same time. Assignments happen overnight and if the share price shot up, then you wouldn't be able to recoup that extrinsic as the same option is now worth less when you resell it. However, if it went down, then good for you. Not always a win. Am I missing something?

I believe they are referring to immediately selling the shares assigned, not selling new contracts.

You also own the shares, which change in value as well. The important part would be to sell the shares and reopen the contract at the same time (though if you feel good about a direction, you can wait in between and win/lose depending on if you are right)

Reactions: BornToFly and MikeC
Extrinsic is more important than DTE when it comes to assignment. The risk of assignment is high if extrinsic falls below $1 and certainly as it nears $0.00. Also we don't know what price the person sold the put for and their personal finances/decisions. They are in the driver seat to exercise.

https://www.projectfinance.com/exercise-assignment-explained/
Does that mean my sold calls can also be closed prior to expiration date if Tesla drops low enough with say also a year left till expiration?

Does that mean my sold calls can also be closed prior to expiration date if Tesla drops low enough with say also a year left till expiration?
They can but it's less likely. This is because exercising calls requires you to give up cash to purchase the shares. Conversely with the puts you receive cash when exercising the contracts which is why this happens more often with puts

Reactions: LAexpress
@Yoona Do you have any interest in starting a patreon or substack to post whatever you are interested in? Substack has a chat function. I started NVDA ICs this week and would love to hear more of what you have to say about NVDA or SPY.
I'd much rather we keep it all right here; IMHO it's all relevant to making us better TSLA Option Sellers, even if it provides learning excercises involving NVDA or whatever.

Edit- keeping it here far better serves us members than making us shuffle about through various venues and forums.

Last edited:
As you get deeper ITM, time value becomes less and less of a factor. So an option 2 years out that’s DITM may be almost priced the same as the same strike just 6 months out.

This is why it makes sense to buy DITM LEAPS, because you aren’t paying a whole lot of time value. E.g., a 1/25 50c is ~136 and a 6/26 50c is ~141 right now. $5 for an extra year and a half.

You can also use this to roll in DITM puts to a nearer expiration for cheap.