Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $45k Rivian R2 is the small pack RWD 270 mile range variant, I highly doubt they will be delivering it anytime in 2026. They will likely be starting with the large pack variants of the AWD and Performance, and then RWD. And then yet later start with the small pack variants. (Just like the R1s just recently started shipping with the small pack.)
Works for me.

Just saw the Rivian's R2 and R3 announcement. Competition sure is heating up shortly.

Sorry but what they showed was nothing more than a cash grab for a very obvious cash raise through a offering in the 2nd half of this year.

There's zero reason to announce/show a vehicle that is roughly 28 months away. Notice they said starts shipping in the first half of 2026. That likely means end of May 2026 and even then, it'll be a handful of units.

Rivian has horrendous margins on their current offering and have shown zero capability to get more efficient as they have scaled up the R1. Anyone thinking they're going to post anything but negative margins on the R2 3 years from now is smoking some good stuff. They're gonna need a lot more than the 9 billion they have in cash 2 years from now so they need to raise money.

Last edited:
I think that changed a bit by not spending 2.5B on a new plant in GA.. I’m guessing, they got some new additional incentives from IL to stay and build out the new lines there vs. moving.

And they are not burning 6B a year. With ~ 9B in CASH on the balance sheet, while they MAY do some capital raising, they aren’t at 1.5 years of cash at the moment. They’re burning net about 2B-3B a year at the moment.

I’ll stop now, wrong thread.
Rivian haven't even demonstrated positive gross margin on any sales and still negative by a huge margin. Tesla had a positive NET margin on shipping 109 roadster. All I see with the R2 is heavier cash burn now that rev per vehicle is smaller.

This is how tight Elon runs his company, while rivians managers are so loose they make OF girls seem like virgins.

NVDA IC is getting hot ... what's the S&P event next week that I didn't consider?

+p720/-p760/-c940/+c980 ... was .05 (DELTA) when I opened it a few days ago, now losing, considering shutting down a contract or two at a time.

EDIT: Mentioned .05 without stating it is delta

You were smart. Hence your name. Me..., not so smart. I thought -970 was safe for tomorrow just a few hours ago....

Reactions: DaBooster
Some guys really need to stop leading people off cliffs. Here’s one saying TSLA $500 in March 2025:

1709855326476.png

Just to note, this is exactly where the stock closed YESTERDAY, so it’s not yet throw out the baby time.
I’m pretty certain that there will be upgrades overnight, with the 20-25B contribution from VMW being VERY high margin going forward, so ppl will like that.

As for TSLA world, I had bought RIVN yesterday for LTH, and today reserved an R2. ;-). IF they can really deliver that puppy in 2026 for ~ 45K (not including tax incentives, which sadly could be GONE by then) it would put quite the challenge on whatever model Y is around at that time. TWT

I’ve been watching the Tesla M3 Highland overview with “Hans und Franz” from Tesla, and sadly it smacks of pls come buy our cars.

I’m waiting for analysts - more analysts actually to follow on with more P&D projections for 2024, and a few to come in at below Tsla 2M estimate, so best case being flat. That won’t be good for overall price action IMHO
As is the case with prototypes, R2 concept sounds good.

Reactions: phantasms
You were smart. Hence your name. Me..., not so smart. I thought -970 was safe for tomorrow just a few hours ago....
AVGO(Broadcom) is reporting earnings tonight so be careful with these NVDA or SMCI IC plays.

You must have missed my post about AVGO earnings :( . Earnings can go any which way, who knows why NVDA is up AH. Not saying it's because of AVGO but it's not just worth the stress to be short NVDA right now. Maybe there was something in the AVGO earnings call that was favorable to NVDA. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: thenewguy1979
I think that changed a bit by not spending 2.5B on a new plant in GA.. I’m guessing, they got some new additional incentives from IL to stay and build out the new lines there vs. moving.

And they are not burning 6B a year. With ~ 9B in CASH on the balance sheet, while they MAY do some capital raising, they aren’t at 1.5 years of cash at the moment. They’re burning net about 2B-3B a year at the moment.

I’ll stop now, wrong thread.
After RIVN's Q4 earnings Musk tweeted: "Current trajectory has them bankrupt in ~6 quarters. Maybe that trajectory will change, but so far it hasn’t."

I like Rivian a lot, I think they have cool vehicles, but I personally would never buy a vehicle from a manufacturer who I suspect might go bankrupt.

After RIVN's Q4 earnings Musk tweeted: "Current trajectory has them bankrupt in ~6 quarters. Maybe that trajectory will change, but so far it hasn’t."

I like Rivian a lot, I think they have cool vehicles, but I personally would never buy a vehicle from a manufacturer who I suspect might go bankrupt.
There’s no reference to that chart that EM posted, and if it’s accurate then they are reporting different numbers to investors and the SEC.

Cash and cash equivalents are CASH. So lets not take 1.6B out of available disposable resources.

I know the internet is fun, and one can find anything they want on it, but for comparisons.

should we carve out the short term liquid treasuries and bitcoin out of teslas “cash and cash equilvelants” held on the balance sheet?

You must have missed my post about AVGO earnings :( . Earnings can go any which way, who knows why NVDA is up AH. Not saying it's because of AVGO but it's not just worth the stress to be short NVDA right now. Maybe there was something in the AVGO earnings call that was favorable to NVDA. Who knows 🤷‍♂️
The big question is what do I do after the open tomorrow?
Do I close the -970/+1000 for a big loss? Do I hope and pray NVDA doesn't go up $100 in two days? Do I flip roll half of them to +890/-920P ? That seems risky as hell too. This is nuts. MaxPain is 830.

Sorry but what they showed was nothing more than a cash grab for a very obvious cash raise through a offering in the 2nd half of this year.

There's zero reason to announce/show a vehicle that is roughly 28 months away. Notice they said starts shipping in the first half of 2026. That likely means end of May 2026 and even then, it'll be a handful of units.

Rivian has horrendous margins on their current offering and have shown zero capability to get more efficient as they have scaled up the R1. Anyone thinking they're going to post anything but negative margins on the R2 3 years from now is smoking some good stuff. They're gonna need a lot more than the 9 billion they have in cash 2 years from now so they need to raise money.

They also just osborned their current lineup. If I'm looking to buy a Rivian, am I dropping $90k on an R1S today, or do I eke out a couple more years and snag a R2 for $40k after tax credits?

The big question is what do I do after the open tomorrow?
Do I close the -970/+1000 for a big loss? Do I hope and pray NVDA doesn't go up $100 in two days? Do I flip roll half of them to +890/-920P ? That seems risky as hell too. This is nuts. MaxPain is 830.
Similar boat. Probably worse, short $1000 strike December calls on all my shares. FML lol. But as we learnt with TSLA, nothing goes up forever.

I've been burnt flipping and trying to get greedy so I'll just be happy to take my gains at the end of the year. It'll be pretty boring if this thing keeps going up and I'm just watching on the sidelines for 9 months and unable to sell any shares.

They also just osborned their current lineup. If I'm looking to buy a Rivian, am I dropping $90k on an R1S today, or do I eke out a couple more years and snag a R2 for $40k after tax credits?
My last post on this, so sorry to post on outside of options but this was too funny to pass up on.

Turns out Rivian pulled a fast one on everyone…the $45k base model doesn’t have 300 miles range, it has 270. Seems like you have to pay for a battery upgrade to get that 300 miles 🙄.

Well, @BornToFly, no, I wasn't so smart. While I initially intended to push to 990, I went through gamma, vanna, OI walls, loosely agreed with all data points and decided to open a 1DTE -c960/+c1000 for $2.25. According to optionscalc, SP=946 the spread trades at $2.49 but ITM SP=960, it's $7.31 !!! Seems that after 7pm, the SP flattened, some. Who knows what goes on AH. Nonetheless, I admit to my mistakes and categorize this as another dumb move. THe rationale was that during the open session, SP settled near 920. Dumb, just dumb. Not that it should make you feel better, you have $10 more of SP to work with.

The AH spike is unexplainable. As @vikings123 pointed out, beware of AVGO. Thanks for that, I did make the move to shut down the previous position. Lesson here is that while the range tools we use are decent, we shouldn't get comfortable with them, they aren't a crystal ball. Was AVGO earnings the trigger? I didn't listen to the earnings report, may never know. @Yoona posted a flow table, it shows about 50% bearish trades for the 8th, most are well below the upcoming 950 call wall. Were we all wrong? Get a good night sleep, we'll deal with it in the morning.

EDIT: SMCI went up about the same AH, slightly more at 2.78% compared to 2.14% or so. That too flattened at about 7pm.

Last edited:
There’s no reference to that chart that EM posted, and if it’s accurate then they are reporting different numbers to investors and the SEC.

Cash and cash equivalents are CASH. So lets not take 1.6B out of available disposable resources.

I know the internet is fun, and one can find anything they want on it, but for comparisons.

should we carve out the short term liquid treasuries and bitcoin out of teslas “cash and cash equilvelants” held on the balance sheet?
Sorry, I didn't check his numbers. I saw the post and assumed Elon was at least partially in the ball park. I don't spend any time on RIVN's financials other than what I read here on TMC or what I chance upon elsewhere.

Guess that's why it's said, "Don't believe anything that you hear, and only half of what you see," or something like that, ha.

Sorry, I didn't check his numbers. I saw the post and assumed Elon was at least partially in the ball park. I don't spend any time on RIVN's financials other than what I read here on TMC or what I chance upon elsewhere.

Guess that's why it's said, "Don't believe anything that you hear, and only half of what you see," or something like that, ha.
A good rule of thumb is if Elon promotes a post on X, it’s probably misinformation. 😛

Last edited: