Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I'm currently flat all short positions. Not selling calls nor more puts down here (too late for that for me, see below). Nor am I adding to long calls either as I have too much -P and +delta exposure for further weakness as it is (plus my poor longs 6,000 @CB $328 🤣 )

My current bag of snakes:

LONG CALLS
  • 10x +C205 4/19 @ 8.50 (-72% -$6,109)

• 5x +C210 5/17 @8.85 (-26% - $2,527)

• 10x +C255 9/20 @18.50 (-74% -$13,769)

• 2x +C180 1/17/2025 @31.00 (-10.8% -$615)

• 5x +C270 1/2025 @13.38 (-39.8% -$2,678)

• 5x +C150 12/2025 @109.35 (-46.16% -$25,232)

SHORT PUTS
  • 10x -P250 9/20 @57.80 (-41% -$24,655); extrinsic 1.30

• 15x -P300 6/2026 @115.76 (-16.8% -$29,415); extrinsic 4.78

I invite suggestions if you see anything I can do to improve the lot. For sure to cut the +C205 4/19 (37 days left) ASAP on any DCB if we get one even at a loss. It was a good mule for writing against. I can always get longer dated calls further out at the true next low if I want.

So far my CC scalping brought in 2024, which definitely helps. Hope I won't have to give it back:
January: $73,080
February: $45,185.00
March: $15,069.00

Godspeed to us all!

🙏
What I would do, Jim, is sell aggressive weekly short calls, using these as the long-leg of calendar spreads -> that's kinda what I do anyway

I'd start ATM or even slightly ITM, say $10, if the SP drops more, you'll already make a decent whack, if it reverses, well then you'll have between 5 and 100 weeks to sort them out 🤷‍♂️

The 2025 LEAPS I wouldn't stress too much about myself, sell $1 weekly against those and you'll recuperate the premium

Or just sell $1 weeklies against the lot, the April -c205's would be bought-back after 2 weeks...

Not advice and all that, you know I'm a financial moron, etc...

TSLA simply copying DonkeyKong's levels:

View attachment 1027583
(Credit: ThetaWarrior)
1710369187002.png

Not very, it seems...

Is this what you mean, trade all 2025 calls for +C100 6/26:

STC 2x +C180 1/17/2025 - book the $650 loss, but frees up $6,500 cash
STC 5x +C270 1/2025 - book the $2,600 loss, but frees up $4,000 cash
STC 5x +C150 12/2025 - book the $25,000 loss, but frees up $30,000 cash
Total cash freed up: $40,500.00

Use the money to
BTO 5x +C100 6/26 @90.00 = $45,000

I could raise more cash by selling the dying 2024 +C's as well (see below) to fund more +C100 6/26, does that make sense too?

------

Current positions:

LONG CALLS

• 10x +C205 4/19 @ 8.50 (-72% -$6,109)

• 5x +C210 5/17 @8.85 (-26% - $2,527)

• 10x +C255 9/20 @18.50 (-74% -$13,769)

• 2x +C180 1/17/2025 @31.00 (-10.8% -$615)

• 5x +C270 1/2025 @13.38 (-39.8% -$2,678)

• 5x +C150 12/2025 @109.35 (-46.16% -$25,232)

SHORT PUTS
  • 10x -P250 9/20 @57.80 (-41% -$24,655); extrinsic 1.30

• 15x -P300 6/2026 @115.76 (-16.8% -$29,415); extrinsic 4.78

This is the +C205 4/19:

View attachment 1027665

This is the 5x +C210 5/17:

View attachment 1027664

This is the 10x +C255 9/20 (as good as dead really):

View attachment 1027663

This is the 2x +C180 1/2025:
View attachment 1027662

This is the 5x +C270 1/2025:

View attachment 1027661

This is the +C150 12/2025:

View attachment 1027660
You can consolidate to fewer contracts, but then if we rebound you won’t have as much upside.

I would do some combination of adding cash and consolidating. It doesn’t have to be an all or none thing, you could just slowly roll contracts one at a time as you make money scalping weeklies.

If rolling 1:1 and keeping same number of contracts by adding cash, a lower SP is more favorable, because the 100c will lose more absolute value than the higher strike.

Did you spot they're +C's, not -C... all heading to zero right now...
4/19 is of some concern. Maybe I’ve inhaled more (hopium) than I thought I did, i see a bounce from $165 bottom to ~$230-240 by May / June. I see a decent possibility of a May rate cut which would be a catalyst to sustain SP at around that level. I see EM’s pay decision getting reversed. I see Tesla having a good Q2 ER exceeding baked-in negatives. I see consistently positive US FSD development news coupled with lower price / subscription fees and correspondingly higher uptake. I see more and more of ecosystem levers creatively deployed / pulled to drive demand/ delivery numbers.

I can try to think of more… I think as I feel generally bullish as TSLA exits 2024 and enters 2025. If I were with cash, I would buy calls in 250-300 for 2025 & 2026; as SP increases I’d do vertical spreads on them with higher strike price -c…to recoup cash. While SP remains elevated (overbought) I would reverse the tactic on the put side. I would love a bag full of such snakes…over stock ownership with which I am stuck.

Perhaps that’s where my mind was as I scanned Jim’s portfolio. I’m (quite) a bit envious actually.

If EM kept his social warrior tendency in check, left Twitter alone, didn’t proclaim his centrist political stance…pissing off people and creating enemies from both sides of the aisle, can’t think of another boneheaded move but I’m sure that had been many, Tesla’s strategy and execution to date would lead to a much higher SP I believe.

Also thinking hard about what I do if it dumps to 100, do I really want 10000 shares? Why? Are they going to go to ATH any time soon? Maybe I should just use all the cash from the +p150's to sell a ton of puts instead, then flip to IC's

My rationale for buying a load of stock was for selling calls, forever, but that can be achieved with spreads/IC's, or even just sticking with my calendars, without the drama and heartache of being in the stock

As I said earlier, nobody wants it, not even us bulls!

And how about that walk-down today, straight line, non-stop, all day pretty much

View attachment 1027649
Oof!

Reactions: Jim Holder
What I would do, Jim, is sell aggressive weekly short calls, using these as the long-leg of calendar spreads -> that's kinda what I do anyway

I'd start ATM or even slightly ITM, say $10, if the SP drops more, you'll already make a decent whack, if it reverses, well then you'll have between 5 and 100 weeks to sort them out 🤷‍♂️

The 2025 LEAPS I wouldn't stress too much about myself, sell $1 weekly against those and you'll recuperate the premium

Or just sell $1 weeklies against the lot, the April -c205's would be bought-back after 2 weeks...

Not advice and all that, you know I'm a financial moron, etc...
You and others on here seem to not only be good but also thrive at actively managing options. If the goal is to average certain level of income per year, I would much prefer a less actively involved approach. Some wise person on here a few days ago mentioned an approach he’s experimenting; it (the idea) resonated with me very much. If buying (vs. only being the house) is the way to start positions to limit loss, focusing on long-dated calls or puts depending on whether I feel we’re oversold or bought and recouping the cash when the trend plays out with shorts ala vertical spreads to return to the cash neutral position feels like something I want to experiment and validate…as it as an approach would be manageable and a bit fun, not stressful. I’m too old for gymnastics.

That guy and truth doesn't belong in the same sentence. He has been proven to pull dong out of his arse as much if not more than TslaQ.

FWIW I agree squawk is generally full of it (and always has been really)- but he's not wrong that brokers change margin requirements on Tesla, especially when there's a good dip in the stock, to prompt margin calls-- I know more than a couple folks that happened to (and the increased margin req happened to me too with Merrill, going from 30% to 40% at one point, then back to 30 when the stock rebounded some--- all without ever any warning)

Any thoughts about when it seems like a good deal to get some shares? At $150 we would be down 40% for the year, that seems like enough. At 50% we would be at $124 which seems farfetched IMO when Rivian said that will have zero growth for the year and they make no money and they are down 44%. I think I am going to start adding shares slowly very very soon and maybe also sell something like $150 December puts currently paying 11% return with a break even if $133. @Knightshade any thoughts?

I don't think Rivians behavior tells us much useful about Tesla FWIW

I've honestly got more shares than I'd prefer right now- being stuck with an extra 1000 from like 8 weeks ago in puts I'd sold that went ITM, I've trimmed back the cost basis a bit selling CCs but stock keeps dropping faster than I can skim premium.

Really it depends what you're trying to accomplish, over what timeframe.... At $150 if you plan to hold for years till ATHs again or something I think that's a great buy.... OTOH at $150 if you plan to wait for a pop over 200 and take profits, long-dated calls might be a better plan..... (in both cases you can pick up some pennies along the way selling CCs against them too of course).

Selling the $150 puts isn't a terrible idea if you want to make some cash now but aren't super concerned about missing out on any big share rise in case we bounce from 160 (or 150.01) or something.

But how much are we bouncing this year, really- and when?

A lot of the TA folks seem convinced we're getting a bounce soon... they vary on how much (I think 300 was the highest one I've seen recently though I don't see how fundamentally?)

On the fundamental side that all seems crazy, given we're less than 3 weeks from awful PD numbers, which'll be followed by poor ER numbers (and likely an Elon telling us how everything sucks call same day)-- but then the stock does do crazy things.

I'm not your guy for TA though... in the fundamentals dept as I say all the news looks bad right now-- and I'm not sure I see that changing anytime soon?

Robots won't make $ this year
CT won't be financially relevant this year
Semi won't be financially relevant this year
Roadster won't be financially relevant this year (or even exist)
Next-gen car won't be financially relevant this year (or even exist)
Mexico factory, if they ever get around to building it, will only COST money this year
FSD I don't think will be financially significant this year (there may be a BIT of traction financially in the EU by Q4 at best- but then relys on regulators being swift which they rarely are there)
3/Y seem near saturation sales levels without huge further price cuts- growth of 10% or less seems entirely possible this year.
Insurance, from the last report, is still losing money.
Solar continues to be hilariously awful growth-wise

Energy is the only likely bright spot at all on the financials or growth side this year-- and it won't be near enough to counter the "busted growth story" news that'll keep coming out with single-digit YoY delivery gains.

Next year looks somewhat better--- Shanghai megapack plant starts making $, Semi might finally be made at a real factory in some volume, CT might be ramping well, and late in the year (hopefully) we get a next-gen unveil and production start.... But I still think it's 2026 before we start putting up eye-watering financials again as next-gen ramps.

Oh- and all of the above is before considering any Elon-induced drama like SEC lawsuits, twitter garbage, comp-package threats, etc...That's always a giant wildcard in the mix at this point.

Last edited:
Hoping for a 175.01 close @tivoboy

1. A weekly bullish divergence is now in play for the first time in 2 years.
2. Fresh daily bullish divergence also shows up today after yesterday's green. This is accompanied by bullish divergence on every smaller timeframe.
3. The stock is resting on the 4.618x extension of the 1st wave down (205.6-198.26). This is a very strong limit to how extended a move can be. Even the late 2022 bear market couldn't break it.
If the stock crashes from here, so be it. But as of right now, this looks like the last liquidity grab before a real bounce (maybe a dead cat, maybe not). The risk now is to the upside.
View attachment 1025896
What is your move from here? Buying LEAPS or selling puts ?

I've honestly got more shares than I'd prefer right now- being stuck with an extra 1000 from like 8 weeks ago in puts I'd sold that went ITM, I've trimmed back the cost basis a bit selling CCs but stock keeps dropping faster than I can skim premium.

Really it depends what you're trying to accomplish, over what timeframe.... At $150 if you plan to hold for years till ATHs again or something I think that's a great buy.... OTOH at $150 if you plan to wait for a pop over 200 and take profits, long-dated calls might be a better plan..... (in both cases you can pick up some pennies along the way selling CCs against them too of course).

Selling the $150 puts isn't a terrible idea if you want to make some cash now but aren't super concerned about missing out on any big share rise in case we bounce from 160 (or 150.01) or something.

A lot of the TA folks seem convinced we're getting a bounce soon... they vary on how much (I think 300 was the highest one I've seen recently though I don't see how fundamentally?)

On the fundamental side that all seems crazy, given we're less than 3 weeks from awful PD numbers, which'll be followed by poor ER numbers (and likely an Elon telling us how everything sucks call same day)-- but then the stock does do crazy things.

I'm not your guy for TA though... in the fundamentals dept as I say all the news looks bad right now-- and I'm not sure I see that changing anytime soon?

Mexico factory, if they ever get around to building it, will only COST money this year
FSD I don't think will be financially significant this year (there may be a BIT of traction financially in the EU by Q4 at best- but then relys on regulators being swift which they rarely are there)
3/Y seem near saturation sales levels without huge further price cuts- growth of 10% or less seems entirely possible this year.

Energy is the only likely bright spot at all on the financials or growth side this year-- and it won't be near enough to counter the "busted growth story" news that'll keep coming out with single-digit YoY delivery gains.

Next year looks somewhat better--- Shanghai megapack plant starts making $, Semi might finally be made at a real factory in some volume, CT might be ramping well, and late in the year (hopefully) we get a next-gen unveil and production start.... But I still think it's 2026 before we start putting up eye-watering financials again as next-gen ramps.

Oh- and all of the above is before considering any Elon-induced drama like SEC lawsuits, twitter garbage, comp-package threats, etc...That's always a giant wildcard in the mix at this point.
You're always like a breath of fresh air 😭

Also thinking hard about what I do if it dumps to 100, do I really want 10000 shares? Why? Are they going to go to ATH any time soon? Maybe I should just use all the cash from the +p150's to sell a ton of puts instead, then flip to IC's

My rationale for buying a load of stock was for selling calls, forever, but that can be achieved with spreads/IC's, or even just sticking with my calendars, without the drama and heartache of being in the stock

As I said earlier, nobody wants it, not even us bulls!

And how about that walk-down today, straight line, non-stop, all day pretty much

View attachment 1027649
What did you do when it went to $108 last year ...?
It was tough but ultimately good that I held on ... we even saw SP go back to 270 where i was tempted to sell all stocks in personal. Missed by holding on for 4-5 days, because I wanted long term capital gains to kick in around Dec 27th.

Reactions: Surfer of Life

I agree with pretty much everything you said. But don't you think this is getting priced in now with a 32% drop in 2.5 months?

I agree with pretty much everything you said. But don't you think this is getting priced in now with a 32% drop in 2.5 months?
This may be getting priced in but it's forward P/E is still quite high. I don't see any new money coming in right now unless it's a trade. In which case a poor quarter will just drop this thing even more and traders get out and pile on the reverse direction and long term holders get given a heavier bag.

Also the markets are near ATH. What isn't being priced in is a macro breakdown.

Especially when you consider that probably the number 1 reason FSD adoption rate is so low in the US is because of the price, Tesla has completely priced it out of 95% of their customers. US FSD adoption rate is collapsed which is no surprise. If affordability is an issue, no one is going to pay $12k for FSD on top of the vehicle purchase price.

As the US fleet grows, if Tesla meaningfully dropped FSD purchase price and monthly subscription price to $99/month, FSD take rate would materially increase even if FSD wasn't any better than the latest we're seeing in V12, which would have a material impact on earnings. There are multiple ways Tesla could increase margins and earnings in the near future when it relates to FSD, they just don't seem interested in doing so at all. Probably because they want FSD intervention rate to drop significantly before mass adoption.

I also wish they would put more of an emphasis on the Supercharger network hitting 20%+ operating margins now that they're opening up the network to other EV's. It gets annoying when Tesla takes the stance of "we want to promote good will for all EV's" crap. They put in the effort and $$$ to build out that network. There's nothing wrong with them making 25% operating margin on other auto makers EVs

Last edited:
sorry, guys

i am just waiting to get out of my 206 B/W, then i am totally out, no buying at 160 or 144

if TSLA moons after that, very happy for you all and it's my loss

non-stop ongoing daily drama nonsense after nonsense last 3+ years just wore me out

(click on dislike, if you want)
22 and 23 was bad for the stock as an investment but we were able to make some money on options. But From last December it is like a landmine. whichever direction you try it becomes a failure. December last year and January, February and March this year were the worst month for me .

What am I missing? I'm try to raise money to increase margin in case we go down. ATM calls/puts are around $5 for the week, but I'm afraid to lose shares. However, If you always write an ATM option, and don't care what happens, you make $260 in a year. So let's say the SP is 170 tomorrow and I write a 170CC for next week. If the SP is 190 next week I let the shares go and write 190 strike Puts for $5. SP goes to 200, I write a $200 strike Put for $5. The SP drops and I get assigned, I write another $5 Call at what ever the SP is at. For me to "lose" compared to writing 0.5 calls every week and never losing shares, the SP would have to be over $404 ($170 + ($4.5X52)) in 52 weeks. Right?
$260 in a year ? What about the wash sale problems?