Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly torn if to sell my longs here, even half. Fear is of a rebound, even a DCB after so many days down, which will be quite expensive if I miss it. Likewise holding the longs and we fall more drags my portfolio net liq down and threatens a maintenance call to cover -P250 9/20 which have about $1 left extrinsic around here.

Anyone sell their longs (and/or liquidate long calls) around here?
I did. I sold 90% of my long shares and have naked calls in my account. I also bought back any short puts I had. I've been selling from 260 and my last sale was just yesterday at 167. I made a post about it in the other thread a month or so ago and said the same thing Wells Fargo said. This year 2024 Tesla told us not much would happen, so this year Tesla will be a growth company without growth. I then promptly got banned. Lol.

Not financial advice but I think selling now may be too late. I'm actually looking to buy back in around 145-150. But if Tesla does have a poor P and D and poor earnings this sucker goes lower and trades in a new range. Which'll suck. Don't let emotion get the better of you but also be realistic of where you see the company going this year (As a trade).

Last edited:
As Tesla vehicles go, I am trading in my 2018 S for a tax-edition X with FUSC & FSD transfer (picking it up this coming Monday). Yes, the value of my S now is quite a bit lower than it was 18 months ago. But the difference in price between it and the new X has never been smaller.

Elon wants to get people into EV’s; he obviously cares less about helping people getting out of them (resale value). If it’s a trade-in for a new Tesla, there isn’t a real loss of value.
Transferring a FSD license and FUSC is a great way to keep customers. That should always be the policy.

Also considering selling half my shares and starting to rebuy in April, meant to do it around $200, but as a committed HODLer have been dithering through the daily bleed. BUT, RSI has gone from 36 Wednesday at $169.50 to 31.2 today ($162-$169). Not sure what time of day the daily RSI is calculated, i.e., when today’s SP drop is reflected, but RSI could be <30 tomorrow. Currently have a limit order in to sell at $168, but if it doesn’t hit, I may hold. New territory for me re the analytics.
More capitulation. The panic seems different and more widespread this time. If I don't sell know it will be too late.

I did. I sold 90% of my long shares and have naked calls in my account. I also bought back any short puts I had. I've been selling from 260 and my last sale was just yesterday at 167. I made a post about it in the other thread a month or so ago and said the same thing Wells Fargo said. This year 2024 Tesla told us not much would happen, so this year Tesla will be a growth company without growth. I then promptly got banned. Lol.

Not financial advice but I think selling now may be too late. I'm actually looking to buy back in around 145-150. But if Tesla does have a poor P and D and poor earnings this sucker goes lower and trades in a new range. Which'll suck. Don't let emotion get the better of you but also be realistic of where you see the company going this year (As a trade).
Thanks for your service

I was waiting for capitulation to happen.

So ****ing tired of seeing my long position bleed endlessly while growth stocks like NVDA skyrocket to the moon while TSLA investors are left bag holders for a 50% growth company down to a single digit barely any growth company without any guidance.

I’ll let my LEAPS ride till the end and hope for this dead horse to gasp on fresh air on any new news. Been piling all my income in CASH.TO waiting for the stock to reach an automotive PE ratio of 7.86 like Ford, if that ever happens.

Just pulled the trigger to buy a new 2024 SR RWD Model Y for my wife to bring my 4 boys to their hockey games and tournaments. I was planning to buy some TSLA near the bottom however I threw it out the window on a brand new car before incentives drop from $7000 this year to 0 in 2 years in Qc, Canada

Let’s enjoy life because my TSLA investment doesn’t enjoy anything at all.

Thanks for your service

I was waiting for capitulation to happen.

So ****ing tired of seeing my long position bleed endlessly while growth stocks like NVDA skyrocket to the moon while TSLA investors are left bag holders for a 50% growth company down to a single digit barely any growth company without any guidance.

I’ll let my LEAPS ride till the end and hope for this dead horse to gasp on fresh air on any new news. Been piling all my income in CASH.TO waiting for the stock to reach an automotive PE ratio of 7.86 like Ford, if that ever happens.

Just pulled the trigger to buy a new 2024 SR RWD Model Y for my wife to bring my 4 boys to their hockey games and tournaments. I was planning to buy some TSLA near the bottom however I threw it out the window on a brand new car before incentives drop from $7000 this year to 0 in 2 years in Qc, Canada

Let’s enjoy life because my TSLA investment doesn’t enjoy anything at all.
I tried not to let emotions get the best of me while watching NVDA grow and TSLA trade flat. However, I realized that my reluctance to sell any TSLA, even at a profit to buy something else (I was invested only in TSLA and indexes at that time), was also driven by emotion (being too attached to a company). My only regret is that I didn't sell more when it was in the 260 range to buy NVDA in the 400 range. I trimmed rather than made significant cuts.

I also sold below 200, which was disappointing, but again, I tried not to be emotional and to know when to let go, either to try timing the market or just to keep cash on the sidelines. Let's not forget, the market is at all-time highs right now. Having a little cash on hand isn't the worst thing in the world.

Also I want to reiterate if I can find a better entry point and sell my winners to buy losers, that's a good thing. My whole reasoning for selling is because the company has told me, Hey, don't expect much from us this year.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the last point. Let's enjoy life. The past three years haven't been that enjoyable for me, and right now, I feel much lighter. I actually don't care that Elon is the CEO of Border Patrol anymore.

It seems like Wallstreet has just pulled the plug on EV stocks because of the false narrative that people don't want them anymore. Obviously, as they become a larger percentage of cars sold, the growth rate will slow YOY, but it is still going up. 5-10% is doubling of sales. 90-95% is minimal YOY growth.

YTD:
NIO: -38.48%
RIVN: -54.43%
TSLA: -34.60%

Very interesting to read the comments, I can't recall so many saying they're looking to get out of the stock completely, not even when it dumped in 2022

If we're thinking along these lines, and I think it's fair to say we love the company and are generally very bullish on TSLA over the years, then it does not look good at all

Added to that, we have much better understanding and insight on Tesla than the vast majority of investors who get their news from the MSM, but even we've had enough...

Personally I have lost all confidence in Musk and that's a game-changer for me, he's totally off the rails as of late, BoD may as well not exist, zero effort to smooth the decline the stock, not a peep on the Delaware situation, as I said for years, they are hopeless

I'm happy I offloaded what few shares I had at $180, sure I have 126x LEAPs to deal with, mostly +c200's, but 2 years on those, a lot can happen in that time, and I will just write weekly shitcalls against them to slowly claw back the premiums, not going to panic-sell those, they make excellent long-legs on calendar diagonals!

Just need be strong, careful to resist the urge to write 100x -cATM down here, the moment I do that we'll get a DCB 😬

Now let's see where we land, 158, 146, 105, 89...?

Very interesting to read the comments, I can't recall so many saying they're looking to get out of the stock completely, not even when it dumped in 2022

If we're thinking along these lines, and I think it's fair to say we love the company and are generally very bullish on TSLA over the years, then it does not look good at all

Added to that, we have much better understanding and insight on Tesla than the vast majority of investors who get their news from the MSM, but even we've had enough...

Personally I have lost all confidence in Musk and that's a game-changer for me, he's totally off the rails as of late, BoD may as well not exist, zero effort to smooth the decline the stock, not a peep on the Delaware situation, as I said for years, they are hopeless

I'm happy I offloaded what few shares I had at $180, sure I have 126x LEAPs to deal with, mostly +c200's, but 2 years on those, a lot can happen in that time, and I will just write weekly shitcalls against them to slowly claw back the premiums, not going to panic-sell those, they make excellent long-legs on calendar diagonals!

Just need be strong, careful to resist the urge to write 100x -cATM down here, the moment I do that we'll get a DCB 😬

Now let's see where we land, 158, 146, 105, 89...?
I think we can probably anticipate a bounce soon.

There has been considerable selling pressure, and sentiment appears to be low across the board. The question is whether it's worth deploying cash to capitalize on a potential 2-7% bounce, while also timing the exit correctly. Additionally, if the strategy doesn’t work, would you be prepared to sell at a loss?

Also at a certain point the company makes for a good risk vs reward. If it drops another 30% that put's it to a similar valuation as Toyota and Ide much rather own Tesla than Toyota. Although keep in mind toyota is up 50% over the last 6 months so it may not be at fair value either (Japan stock market is doing well since Yen sucks).

I think we can probably anticipate a bounce soon.

There has been considerable selling pressure, and sentiment appears to be low across the board. The question is whether it's worth deploying cash to capitalize on a potential 2-7% bounce, while also timing the exit correctly. Additionally, if the strategy doesn’t work, would you be prepared to sell at a loss?

Also at a certain point the company makes for a good risk vs reward. If it drops another 30% that put's it to a similar valuation as Toyota and Ide much rather own Tesla than Toyota. Although keep in mind toyota is up 50% over the last 6 months so it may not be at fair value either (Japan stock market is doing well since Yen sucks).
My problem is that I'm not getting any younger, I'm 58 this year and don't really have the time-frame to sink a ton of capital into a stock that might not go anywhere for several years

And I really am tired of the drama and seriously question the judgement of Musk going forwards, I think would be better if he left, let the stock crash, then recover under a more stable leadership - if it dumped way below 100 then maybe

In retrospect, Zach was the one steadying the ship, has been downhill since he left

And let's not forget that we are seriously overdue a macro correction, S&P has been straight-line +25% since end of October, this is not normal

My longs are still up quite a lot from original investment, and I still think the company will do well long term, so right now I'm mostly just picking up pennies on selling CCs---I could almost certainly do better moving the $ somewhere else for a year or more but I don't have the time or interest in finding another awesome company I have anywhere near the understanding of, and I'm hoping the pennies thing can beat slapping it in an index fund when the indexes are already at/near ATHs.... I'm probably adding a few longish calls down here that I don't plan to hold "long term" but expect to make a few bucks on when we inevitably get a bounce from something (and sell CCs on em until we get a bounce).

Not financial advice obviously- if I was good at that I'd have sold at $400 and rebought at $108 or whatever.
Are you in a taxable account? Would you sell if your shares were in an IRA?

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Fiddling while Rome burns...

1710503565988.png

Reactions: phantasms
My problem is that I'm not getting any younger, I'm 58 this year and don't really have the time-frame to sink a ton of capital into a stock that might not go anywhere for several years

And I really am tired of the drama and seriously question the judgement of Musk going forwards, I think would be better if he left, let the stock crash, then recover under a more stable leadership - if it dumped way below 100 then maybe

In retrospect, Zach was the one steadying the ship, has been downhill since he left

And let's not forget that we are seriously overdue a macro correction, S&P has been straight-line +25% since end of October, this is not normal