Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just found this thread and have been reading with great interest. But I am confused about one thing. What does it mean when you have a “-“ sign before an option, i.e., -p950 and -850 straddles? Does that mean these positions are losing money?
- denotes a (STO or Sell to Open) position. Generally that is the majority of trades discussed in this thread
+ denotes a (BTO or buy to Open) position meaning you purchased the option

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Hello, I just found this thread and have been reading with great interest. But I am confused about one thing. What does it mean when you have a “-“ sign before an option, i.e., -p950 and -850 straddles? Does that mean these positions are losing money?
Sold. Not bought. Playing the house. But sometimes they do lose money😉

Reactions: Open Interest
TSLA has closed between 178 and 162 for almost 5 weeks. I can't find that tight a range in the last 3.5 years.

ER week is going to be interesting....
I can't remember a period with such high lack of confidence in which direction/magnitude TSLA would move after a very clear indicator of top-line and gross margins in advance. The idea that a bad 3 quarters ahead for auto sales might actually be less important than FSD progress really mixes things up.

Sold some Dec'26 $250P, don't have a bearish leg yet. That might telegraph what direction things are going.

but today, apparantly there is a reason to release yesterday's news..o_O.
Barron's ·
2024/04/10 18:31 GMT+02:00

Al Root
Tesla's start to April in China has been weak and that isn't good news for weary Tesla investors.
In March, the electric vehicle giant sold an about 62,000 vehicles in China. Sales in the first week of the new month, however, amounted to just 1,880 units, down 89% week over week and down 86% month over month, according to industry data tracked by Citi analyst Jeff Chung.
Tesla's "April sales may drop 60% month over month," added the analyst in a Tuesday evening report.
There are a few reasons for the weak number. The Beijing Auto Show is happening in late April so buyers could be waiting. In addition, buyers are also hoping for a new EV subsidy, potentially launched this quarter. The final week of March, of course, was the final week of a quarter when many car companies put extra emphasis on ramping sales to hit numbers.
Still, the early April decline will stir investor anxiety. Tesla also underperformed other auto makers. For the first week of April, overall Chinese sales of battery-electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids dropped 17% month over month.
That isn't the start to the new quarter investors were hoping for.
For the first quarter of 2024, Tesla sold about 132,000 vehicles in China, down about 4% year over year. Chinese sales accounted for roughly one-third of the company's 387,000 total in the quarter.
The 387,000 figure was a big disappointment, missing Wall Street's lowest estimates by some 20,000 vehicles. First-quarter sales dropped almost 9% year over year. It was only Tesla's second year-over-year decline and the first since 2020 during the global pandemic.
Tesla will need Chinese sales to rebound in the coming weeks if it hopes to hit Wall Street's consensus call for second-quarter deliveries of 458,000 units, according to FactSet.
That number would be down about 2% from the 466,000 units delivered in the second quarter of 2023.
Growth will be a struggle for Tesla in 2024. It's a big reason Tesla stock has been weak. Coming into Thursday trading, shares were down about 31% year to date.
Tesla stock dropped 2.9% Wednesday, closing at $171.76, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite fell 1% and 0.8%, respectively. Hotter-than-expected inflation data pressured most stocks.
Write to Al Root at [email protected]
This content was created by Barron's, which is operated by Dow Jones & Co. Barron's is published independently from Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
April 10, 2024 16:31 ET (20:31 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2024 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Where is everyone...?

With my recent road-trip to Scotland and day-job distracting, I fell 150 pages behind the "other" thread and have been trying to catch up

I'm now reading the responses to the P&D numbers and I have to say that the sophistry, tautology and hopium for the HODLers as to how "all is OK, all part of the plan", etc., is quite astonishing. More worryingly, up until relatively recently I would have also tried to spin it away as a positive

Not happy that Tesla is struggling, but am pleased I can be much more objective about it these days

I can't remember a period with such high lack of confidence in which direction/magnitude TSLA would move after a very clear indicator of top-line and gross margins in advance. The idea that a bad 3 quarters ahead for auto sales might actually be less important than FSD progress really mixes things up.
FSD failed my stress test

"FSD disabled on bad weather" on very slight drizzles at 6am (semi-dark) and it's not even pouring... persistently nags me to touch the steering

so it's not self-driving material and not robotaxi material in those conditions

FSD failed my stress test

"FSD disabled on bad weather" on very slight drizzles at 6am (semi-dark) and it's not even pouring... persistently nags me to touch the steering

so it's not self-driving material and not robotaxi material in those conditions
Indeed, there's nothing to clean the cameras in case of obstruction, probably fine in sunny California, but rest of the world where we get this thing called "weather", ain't going to fly

Indeed, there's nothing to clean the cameras in case of obstruction, probably fine in sunny California, but rest of the world where we get this thing called "weather", ain't going to fly
ya, if they can't even solve slight drizzle prior to sunrise, then it's not FULL and it's not SELF driving

which begs the question... if they are pushing it then this is similar to them pumping up "Tesla Battery Day" prior to bad earnings day as distraction

Expect of course, when the sun is on the side of the car, left or right at which point the B pillar cameras don’t work due to glare and oops “Self Driving is disabled due to camera function”… this happens to me nearly every time I drive north on 280, at a certain time of day, time of year when the sun is at my 7-9 while driving.

What is REALLY missing, is some sort of safe pull over - most likely proceed to the right direction of travel and find a safe pull over location. But, what it does now, is just shut off and say “take over”

ya, if they can't even solve slight drizzle prior to sunrise, then it's not FULL and it's not SELF driving

which begs the question... if they are pushing it then this is similar to them pumping up "Tesla Battery Day" prior to bad earnings day as distraction
Well the Uber drivers will learn this, and know that they can get more rides and more surge pricing since the RT fleet will be sitting around in a parking lot in the drizzle.

If you remove housing and transportation, CPI yesterday was actually very good. The "market" should figure this out pretty quick. It was just an excuse to short yesterday. I don't see housing coming down without lowering interest rates.

Edit: My S just got 12.3.4 last night. Will finally get to test V12 on the way to work today! I will report tonight. V11 always struggled in my neighborhood.

If you remove housing and transportation, CPI yesterday was actually very good. The "market" should figure this out pretty quick. It was just an excuse to short yesterday. I don't see housing coming down without lowering interest rates.

Edit: My S just got 12.3.4 last night. Will finally get to test V12 on the way to work today! I will report tonight. V11 always struggled in my neighborhood.

Not to mention, but due to simple ROUNDING, the number was a “miss” of .1%, 1/10 of 1%, by a total of .02%, or 2 ONE HUNDRETHS of 1%..

Math is maths, but it was a programmatic trading trigger wet dream to read CPI INFLATION MISS, vs. CPI INFLATION IN-LINE.

The January number was basically the same scenario, miss due to rounding by 5/100th’s.