Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know. What is the average weight of a Semi load in Texas? (I doubt they normally gross out at 80k.)
Aero/speed impacts range much more than weight, but it's a fair point.

Rivian lost 7% of total range with it's maximum payload vs. unloaded.

I'm sure it's been thought out with the distances, just thinking about 70-80% charge instead of 100% and then the difference in speed, but I guess they could just limit the max speed and avoid that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
I'm sure it's been thought out with the distances, just thinking about 70-80% charge instead of 100% and then the difference in speed, but I guess they could just limit the max speed and avoid that issue.
Yep. I assume Tesla knows the capabilities of their trucks and the details of their loads/routes and would plan their charging network accordingly. It might not be sufficient for the competition especially if the chargers installed for them are just 350kW CCS.

Right, clearly just beta production and testing. Regarding vehicle weights. Guys trucks are heavy. An f350 with a diesel engine comes in at 12k lbs if we are being honest. Here are some benchmarks for you guys

Day cab (this is a Semi with no sleeper compartment) 20k lbs.
Trailer: average flat bed 10k lbs, box will add a bit. Anyway say 15k lbs to be saafe. Y

Total is about 35k lbs add a few thousand more if a semi cab with sleeping compartment.

Our 3 bunk (6 posts) log trailer with headache rack (protective shield between the trailer and tractor to keep cargo from crashing into the cab in an accident) is about 12k lbs. Just example of niche solid steel trailer.

You can game the truck weights all you want on light vehicles but for Semi's crossing scales everything is known. Just get in a CA DMV weigh station and watch it cross scales. The trailer is not going to be far off what I've listed here.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here is an example of a purpose built PHEV Semi for the logging industry:

Certainly, no frills in the cab.
Yes if we can get a Tesla semi it will literally change the economics on tens of thousands of acres of land just in our region. We'd be able to restore degraded forests, stop invasives, and make a $. Right now logistics is a killer and fuel costs are a huge % of that.

For eighteen days, beginning on September 11, the North American Council for Freight Efficiency tracked all of these trucks for information on charging infrastructure, cost of ownership, driving performance, and more. Not every truck in the test was active every day, and it doesn’t appear any of the drivers were going out of their way to set new distance or charging records along the way. Tesla may have won out on this test because its Pepsi drivers were more focused on long-distance distribution, while other manufacturers represented were making more frequent regional stops. For example, the longest mileage day for the Tesla Semi incorporated just five stops, while the Nikola made 13 deliveries and one of the eCascadias did 10.

Reactions: Nack
Yes if we can get a Tesla semi it will literally change the economics on tens of thousands of acres of land just in our region. We'd be able to restore degraded forests, stop invasives, and make a $. Right now logistics is a killer and fuel costs are a huge % of that.
Do you think the Tesla Semi is built to handle logging roads? Thats a pretty brutal use case and something a truck built for highway use won’t work for.

Maybe it was built with that level of durability in mind, but its doubtful as it would be too heavy for highway use.

Hybrid makes sense to me, but the cost is so high Im not sure it would drum up enough business to break even. I thought Hyllion was going to make it with the hypertruck serial hybrid with CNG engine, but they decided to get out of the business even after getting CARB approval. That tells me there isn’t much market out there until emission regs force it, or costs come down for electrification equipment.

Good question but most of our logging roads really are not anything special, on the west coast you may have 10 miles or more of gravel before you hit hardtops. We bring our logs within a 1/4 mile of a county road and that 1/4 mile is not anything special. Sometimes we drive trucks right into fields, if a toyota scion can handle the roads a tesla semi should. That said the logging truck reviewed by Munro is a special built truck, they will just make a couple a year. Good for them though, it was a perfect logging truck.

Tesla semis at the prices they talked about will be a huge win for the environment because it will just make diesel trucks uncompetitive. Not the price of the truck but the fuel. 30k gallons a year of diesel/truck for an average 150k mile annual use, over $4/gallon that is quite a chunk of change

Reactions: kayak1