Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seniors wishing the glovebox had a physical button to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, I too am dismayed by the lack of physical controls. Elon's philosophy is to provide features through software updates, but that does not preclude physical buttons. For instance, there could be a button on the dash that you press once to open the glove box, double-click to open the trunk, and long press to open the frunk. It could even be reprogrammed by the user for various other purposes.

Hmmm I think I may have just invented a product lol
Doubtful, you can do all that from touch screen when parked as I assume that is when you need to open frunk. Good luck remembering how many times you press the button for the glovebox. I would imagine you would pop the trunk, frunk and glovebox when trying to get the wipers on. Good luck closing all them in the rain

Why not? Because some of us old coots feel okay at temp T on takeoff and later because of hot flashes or whatever other aging factor suddenly need it a few degrees cooler or warmer. Iterate.
And as to Radio, who has never changed channels or whatever while driving? Iterate again.
I am 75 years old. How hard is it to touch the open glove box on the screen? Easier than pulling a handle. Tesla is indeed a computerized car with logical maneuvers. Others IC have posted: You need to change the AC temp, then just ask it to do so. How about one foot driving? How much simpler can that be? The Tesla very well could be a blessing in disguise. It is to me anyways.

I'm 79 and am so happy to finally have a car (Model 3) that is truly easy to drive and has really accessible features.
In the first 6,000 miles I've touched the brake pedal only once and that was when it was new, to see if it actually does something.
For everyday driving and on long trips, on freeways and city streets, auto pilot is SO good, and getting better all the time.

I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)

I'm 72 and use the voice command to exclusively to open the glovebox in our Model 3. I don't understand why this command is not available in my Model y?

Reactions: Ecoli
Another senior here. I love my 3. 75k already (28 months old). I do have one thing I wish the screen could do. The font be enlarged by touching the screen. Be it addresses or music titles, my vision is not what it used to be (and neither is yours if you're over 45) and I would like it if there was a way to enlarge whatever is on the screen like I can do on my Mac. I have to resort to reading glasses sometimes and I hate to do that while driving.

I'm 86, and female, so I guess this really makes me a hazard on the road. I can control everything on my model S with little problems. I think the car helps to keep me young. My partner is 94 and he just quit driving this year...not because he can't, he says he enjoys just being in the Tesla and watching the world go by. Rise up Seniors! You can do this.

I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)

Most of what you mention can be controlled with your voice after pressing the right steering wheel button. I just returned from a drive where I asked the car to set the A/C to 65°, and set the fan speed to 6 in 2 separate requests. I ask to see the tire pressure regularly as well. You can ask to turn on the wipers to level 1, 2, or 3., etc.
What I would suggest is a search on You Tube for videos on “controlling your Model 3 with your voice”. That’s how I learned. I jotted down the ones I liked in about 5 different videos. I review them every few weeks to remind me of the ones I am not using...I’m 73!

I Totally agree. I am a retired rocket engineer and I can't even figure out how to shut off the radio or answer the phone. And don't get me started with how to sync the garage door opener. We have had this "Y" since late July.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial

I am a senior/baby boomer and I adore my M3 and can't wait for my Cybertruck once its available in the UK maybe in 2023 or 2024. I have owned lots of ICE cars including Ferraris and my M3 is by far the best car I have ever owned. Regarding opening the glove compartment I use the voice command and likewise to get the windscreen wiper to momentarily work I push the appropriate button on the stalk and I have the wipers defaulted to "auto". The best thing I love about my M3 is the MCU3/FSD which I always use as much as possible to keep me safe and in lane and to help with auto lane changing. Please be patient and rest assured in-time you will come to love your M3 and all its amazing features not to forget the excitement when there's a new software update to install.

It is simple compared to i-drive systems in BMW and similar interfaces. My senior mother can't operate i-drive to save her life. Menus, sub-menus, more menus, etc... She really enjoys the simplicity of Tesla interface and lack of buttons/switches everywhere.

People growing up with computers likely won't have the issues with the buttonless features the way some that grew up with bobby socks, poodle skirts and leaded gasoline do. So, while this doesn't help the OP, there is hope for the rest of us as we age. :D

I case nobody mentioned it already, the S and X still have a physical glove box button.

Last edited: