Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seniors wishing the glovebox had a physical button to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s worth noting that according to the latest Consumer Reports survey Model 3 owners were the most satisfied of all car owners in every age group, including the Silent Generation (born 1928-45) and Baby Boomers (born 1946-64). Model S also scored near the top with those two groups (3rd and 4th Place).

So it seems that Teslas are “for the senior set” after all. Tesla Model 3 is "most satisfying" car across all ages, study reveals

Last edited:
And to anyone who claims that they adjust HVAC controls or others without glancing at them, I seriously call BS. It may only be a short glance, but I seriously doubt you don't take your eyes off the road at all when reaching for controls on the dashboard.

It's more than about a glance.

With a physical control, your finger "rests" on the button or knob. There's a tactile response to actuation of the button/knob. The button/knob is always there, always visible, always in the same place.

The HVAC fan speed in the Tesla is hidden. You first have to hit the Fan icon to bring up the HVAC dialog. You have locate and move your finger to where the fan speed control is. When done you'd want to swipe away the dialog to restore the previous display. This is all while your hand is floating in the air.

The reason most media controllers like BMW iDrive is on the center tunnel is because one's hand falls there naturally. It's already resting on it, and therefore more natural and comfortable to control

I found that most of the minor complaints that I had concerning the user interface have disappeared after using the car for eight months.

For example, I initially thought that reaching out to tap a small "button" on the display while driving was inconvenient. Turns out I rarely need to do that, and even when I do, it isn't hard to hit the right spot.

It's more than about a glance.

With a physical control, your finger "rests" on the button or knob. There's a tactile response to actuation of the button/knob. The button/knob is always there, always visible, always in the same place.

The HVAC fan speed in the Tesla is hidden. You first have to hit the Fan icon to bring up the HVAC dialog. You have locate and move your finger to where the fan speed control is. When done you'd want to swipe away the dialog to restore the previous display. This is all while your hand is floating in the air.

The reason most media controllers like BMW iDrive is on the center tunnel is because one's hand falls there naturally. It's already resting on it, and therefore more natural and comfortable to control

Except, why don't you just leave the air on Automatic? Pick a temperature and let the car handle the rest? I've never had to adjust the fan speed while driving because the car does it for me.

If I did want to adjust it, I'd park or be in AutoPilot, where I feel comfortable taking my eyes off the road momentarily to look at the screen.

When I was in drivers ed, they taught us to adjust everything in the car before you start moving. Get the seat right. Air right. Radio right. Mirrors right. Then, drive.

Except, why don't you just leave the air on Automatic? Pick a temperature and let the car handle the rest? I've never had to adjust the fan speed while driving because the car does it for me.

Because the computer doesn't pick the right fan speed, exhaust location, or rate of temp change to reach desired cabin temperature.

When it's really really hot outside and I first get in the car, I'd rather have the temp at min, blowing out the max vent (towards my torso), at speed 7 or 8 so it's not too loud. Switching to automatic climate the system blows at speed 10 towards my feet.

Also someone else did the measurements, and found that the fastest and most power-efficient way to get cabin to reach a temp, is to set temp at min and control the fan speed.

Because the computer doesn't pick the right fan speed, exhaust location, or rate of temp change to reach desired cabin temperature.

When it's really really hot outside and I first get in the car, I'd rather have the temp at min, blowing out the max vent (towards my torso), at speed 7 or 8 so it's not too loud. Switching to automatic climate the system blows at speed 10 towards my feet.

Also someone else did the measurements, and found that the fastest and most power-efficient way to get cabin to reach a temp, is to set temp at min and control the fan speed.
Way to much work for me. I just drive the car and enjoy it. Worrying over a few cents of efficiency in the AC system isn't a good use of my time.
But if it's hot or cold outside, I pre-heat/cool for a few minutes before I enter the car. Easy enough to hit the button my phone as I get ready to leave.

It is an odd phenomenon of human nature where some folks purposely find their way into something progressive and fancy...and then proceed to find fault in function/operation that isn’t exactly the same as the outgoing thing that’s old and dated.

For example, instead of complaining about getting into a hot (or cold) cabin and how auto HVAC function doesn’t do what you want, maybe just pre-condition the cabin...

You first have to hit the Fan icon to bring up the HVAC dialog. You have locate and move your finger to where the fan speed control is.

I am a big fan of physical controls as well, hopefully some day there is a Model 0: two door, exo-skeleton and all manual controls including windows.

That being said you should try the voice commands:

- Turn on recirculate
- Set fan to 6
- Decrease fan speed
- Set temperature to 68

Way to much work for me. I just drive the car and enjoy it. Worrying over a few cents of efficiency in the AC system isn't a good use of my time.
But if it's hot or cold outside, I pre-heat/cool for a few minutes before I enter the car. Easy enough to hit the button my phone as I get ready to leave.

yes, it's too much work when you hide controls behind a menu rather than exposing it as a physical control

i dont worry about the operating cost, but you're posting on a forum where people fit wheel covers for a trip so they can stretch the range of the car....

It is an odd phenomenon of human nature where some folks purposely find their way into something progressive and fancy...and then proceed to find fault in function/operation that isn’t exactly the same as the outgoing thing that’s old and dated.

For example, instead of complaining about getting into a hot (or cold) cabin and how auto HVAC function doesn’t do what you want, maybe just pre-condition the cabin...

Maybe it's possible enjoy certain aspects of a car without having to fanboy over every other aspect.

Can you believe that they dared to put the shifter stalk on the steering column, like a 1950s pick up truck, rather than making it a touchscreen option or a voice command like a real progressive company would do!!!:rolleyes:

So modern. Much progressive. Wow

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_123534.jpg
    IMG_20200801_123534.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200801_123534.jpg
    IMG_20200801_123534.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20200808_163030_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200808_163030_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 68
I'm a senior, a curmudgeon and a troglodyte (according to my kids), so I open the Gove Box literally 2x per year, to change out the insurance form. Even in every car pre-Tesla, my use of the glove box was extremely rare. (maybe its a good place to stash drugs?)

btw: my wife, another senior, opened her glove box for the first time (Aug-18 delivery), as she put her own insurance card in it.

I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)

Opening the glovebox is the EASIEST for the driver vs all other cars. All you have to say "open glovebox" and the car opens it for you. Can't get any easier than that.

I'm in my 70s and own a M3P and a Ducati.

Age, up to point is a number, and I enjoy all the technology TSLA and Ducati can throw at me. I would never consider shaming a Vette driven by a kid (someone in their 50s) at stoplight (wink).

Life is short YOLO dudes!

I live on Hwy 89 between Wilhoit and Prescott, Arizona (one of the twistiest roads on Earth). Not gonna achieve great tire wear!

I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)
If you take a few minutes you will find the button on the turn stalk washes and wipes the windshield. Headlights same idea other side, Glove box, yeah you might want to be stoped for that but is that an issue?
btw no idea your years, I'm rolling into the 70's, actually got self driving knowing I'm or will be at the end of my leash sometime.

I'm in my 70s and own a M3P and a Ducati.

Age, up to point is a number, and I enjoy all the technology TSLA and Ducati can throw at me. I would never consider shaming a Vette driven by a kid (someone in their 50s) at stoplight (wink).

Life is short YOLO dudes!

I live on Hwy 89 between Wilhoit and Prescott, Arizona (one of the twistiest roads on Earth). Not gonna achieve great tire wear!
The path to Jerome is more better. I'd have wanted hill climbs on that road. Can't see it the way it is with bicycles and trucks around a blind corner.

If I did want to adjust it, I'd park or be in AutoPilot, where I feel comfortable taking my eyes off the road momentarily to look at the screen.

When I was in drivers ed, they taught us to adjust everything in the car before you start moving. Get the seat right. Air right. Radio right. Mirrors right. Then, drive.

Why not? Because some of us old coots feel okay at temp T on takeoff and later because of hot flashes or whatever other aging factor suddenly need it a few degrees cooler or warmer. Iterate.
And as to Radio, who has never changed channels or whatever while driving? Iterate again.

I disagree. I find the model 3 to be one of the simplest cars to operate that I've ever driven.
I recently borrowed a BMW X3 for a week and that thing was a complicated nightmare of buttons, knobs and settings. (Maybe I would get used to it if I owned it for a while, but it is way to complicated)

And to anyone who claims that they adjust HVAC controls or others without glancing at them, I seriously call BS. It may only be a short glance, but I seriously doubt you don't take your eyes off the road at all when reaching for controls on the dashboard. I'm not claiming that the Tesla touchscreen is easier (it's not). Stuff mounted to the steering wheel and column could probably still be adjusted without looking,(I bet most people look at those as well) but that's it.

The main thing about the Tesla is that I rarely ever have to adjust anything while driving. I never mess with the wiper controls, the headlights, climate controls while driving. About the only thing I change on a regular basis using the screen is the audio source. Everything else (Autopilot, volume) can be done from the stalks and wheels on the steering wheel.
I just let the automation do it's thing and it's great. So simple to drive.

nailed it. I'd never tell her, but I left her car wide open down in Phoenix because I just walked away from it