Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Cam caught Hit & Run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, a guy backed into my M3 while it was parked and took off. He was found later because of SC footage.

SC caught the whole thing. Paint/clear coat scrapes on the front bumper.
Does anyone have any advice on seeking depreciation type settlements?

The guy has Geico, not sure if it’s valid. Waiting to for my insurance to contact them.

Reactions: house9 and IdaX
Long story short, a guy backed into my M3 while it was parked and took off. He was found later because of SC footage.

SC caught the whole thing. Paint/clear coat scrapes on the front bumper.

The guy has Geico, not sure if it’s valid. Waiting to for my insurance to contact them.

Depends on state... In va, by default unless you decline coverage, uninsured motorist coverage is automatically added to ins coverage up to 50k. this means that if the other party has no insurance, your insurance will cover all repair costs, rentals etc... up to 50k and then press charges against the offending party. Else, if they have coverage, their insurance should cover it and then they'd have to fight some legal battles with the county/state...

Reactions: ONEDVSMOFO
I think that one of the penalties from a court hearing for getting caught damaging a tesla on a tesla cam would be to charge a model 3 up - from 1% charge left......

by pedaling a stationary bike without stopping.

It would take a week.

pedal charging.jpg

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me (see video below).

This is before the rear cam was enabled in an update. i showed the footage to the copes, they went to the guy's house and arrested him and got me his insurance info. I then sent the video to the guy's insurance and they immediately accepted responsibility.

Wow that dude is the worst parallel parker ever.

@Rothgarr having the two side cameras really helped provide clear evidence of him hitting you and nice you had structures nearby to clearly see the car’s lights reflecting off of them to help illustrate what happened.

Thankfully Tesla has been able to add the rear camera to TeslaCam to provide better accident coverage. Glad you had enough convincing footage without it to get him arrested for hit and run.

Reactions: Rothgarr

It's only a bumper cover, so not sure this even applies.

let him replace the front bumper cover for you
$1950 ($600 itself+labor+re-calibration)

Re-calibration of what? I'm getting my rear bumper cover replaced soon. And the rear bumper cover alone from Tesla painted in factory black is $900 before taxes.

Hit & run happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had a clear video (front camera) of the dude getting into his car and then backing right into mine, license plate clear the entire way... I downloaded the video to a thumb drive and gave it to the cops (per my insurance company). The cop laughed the entire time the video played, called a couple other cops in to see it... Tesla's are still pretty rare in my town, the cops were impressed. Dude's insurance took swift responsibility apparently when they heard there was a video.