Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Cam Corrupted File Recovered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a couple hours on my computer when this happened, and eventually got the result I wanted. got a pretty serious door ding and dent, here is what happened.

1. Got back to car, noticed dent.

2. Went home, reviewed sentry footage. 7 events left a lot of footage to view, but it didn't take long to narrow it down to the offending vehicle. Watched footage of the offending vehicle pull in next to car. Watched mom get out of car, then the footage cuts out. When it resumes the entire family is behind their vehicle getting ready to walk away! It missed the ~20 seconds of video I needed where the rear door opened!

3. Start researching online, find that Tesla saves all video clips from last hour, etc. Immediately run an undelete app on the USB drive.

4. Recover ~400 video clips, 2 clips were corrupt. It was pretty obvious from scrolling through the previews that one of the 2 corrupt video files was the one with the footage I needed.

5. Tried 1,000 ways to view the file all worthless. Ready to give up, finally try 1,001 method to watch video and it works! Literally the video covers about 25 seconds of the missing footage. Pay $6 for video corruption fix.

6. Send video to offenders insurance, they take responsibility and agree to pay for the damage!

Sentry mode is awesome, and I wish this had worked more flawlessly, but i'm excited nonetheless. No other car would have been able to do what my Tesla did!

So who or what did you use, for $6, to fix the corrupt file?

Also, what program did you use to recover the deleted files?

I would like to know, too.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

I noticed that some files show a default icon, not a screen capture which plays. What's the deal with those files?

Those are most likely zero length files. The feed did not write to your memory stick for some reason.

This appears to only happen on my right repeater. does this mean that my right side video camera has an issue?

Same problem -- right repeater, intermittently, does not write. Another thread suggested that the write speed to the memory stick may be the issue. I setup a fast micor-DS and still have the issue. Only when recording SentryMode, though. TeslaCam (dashcam) works perfectly.

I will find out next Friday as I have an appointment at the service center for another issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
Those are most likely zero length files. The feed did not write to your memory stick for some reason.

Same problem -- right repeater, intermittently, does not write. Another thread suggested that the write speed to the memory stick may be the issue. I setup a fast micor-DS and still have the issue. Only when recording SentryMode, though. TeslaCam (dashcam) works perfectly.

I will find out next Friday as I have an appointment at the service center for another issue.

thanks, can you keep us posted after your appt

So, I was parked today for about a half hour, when I came back there was a message on the screen that two Sentry Mode events happened. Where are these stored? I looked through the clips during my parked period and think I see what it thought was suspicious (lady parked in front of me getting something out of her back seat) but it would be nice to know which clips were involved.

So, I was parked today for about a half hour, when I came back there was a message on the screen that two Sentry Mode events happened. Where are these stored? I looked through the clips during my parked period and think I see what it thought was suspicious (lady parked in front of me getting something out of her back seat) but it would be nice to know which clips were involved.

Go to the TeslaCam folder at root level on the drive. You should see 2 folders inside of the TeslaCam folder: one, RecentClips -- with the 1-hour buffered footage get saved; and the other one, SavedClips -- where saved driving clips you manually saved get placed and this is where your Sentry Mode clips end up.

• Informative
Reactions: TomHudson
I spent a couple hours on my computer when this happened, and eventually got the result I wanted. got a pretty serious door ding and dent, here is what happened.

1. Got back to car, noticed dent.

2. Went home, reviewed sentry footage. 7 events left a lot of footage to view, but it didn't take long to narrow it down to the offending vehicle. Watched footage of the offending vehicle pull in next to car. Watched mom get out of car, then the footage cuts out. When it resumes the entire family is behind their vehicle getting ready to walk away! It missed the ~20 seconds of video I needed where the rear door opened!

3. Start researching online, find that Tesla saves all video clips from last hour, etc. Immediately run an undelete app on the USB drive.

4. Recover ~400 video clips, 2 clips were corrupt. It was pretty obvious from scrolling through the previews that one of the 2 corrupt video files was the one with the footage I needed.

5. Tried 1,000 ways to view the file all worthless. Ready to give up, finally try 1,001 method to watch video and it works! Literally the video covers about 25 seconds of the missing footage. Pay $6 for video corruption fix.

6. Send video to offenders insurance, they take responsibility and agree to pay for the damage!

Sentry mode is awesome, and I wish this had worked more flawlessly, but i'm excited nonetheless. No other car would have been able to do what my Tesla did!

Do you mind posting video clip?

Thanks @Sherlo -- Sure enough, SavedClips had several folders in it -- First has the lady getting something out of her back seat; a couple of folders with other clips while parked; and a folder where the last clips are footage of me walking up to the car when I returned. Cool.

I only started using Sentry Mode this week, when I noticed I had the update where it's location-aware and you don't have to activate it manually.

Reactions: Sherlo