Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Another American-First Feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You left off the most important part of that sentence:

"They’ll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode."

Is that meaning I can download the video to my phone from the USB?
It might not be stored inside the cloud but it does go through internet

as much as it sucks, the fact is that US should have priority over canada in this update. break-in +theft is a huge issue in the states especially in California. We (canada) will get our update very soon. few vehicles in quebec and BC already got the update on sunday.

as much as it sucks, the fact is that US should have priority over canada in this update. break-in +theft is a huge issue in the states especially in California. We (canada) will get our update very soon. few vehicles in quebec and BC already got the update on sunday.
This makes no sense. Break ins don't happen in Canada? Having side view dash cams recording for a t bone accident isn't needed in Canada because....nobody gets hit from the side in Canada?

Maybe you meant to say the rollout should happen in the us first, but this thread was asking if there would be a prolonged delay for sentry mode like there was when NoA was released. It took something like 3 months for it to come to Canada.

Has anyone in Canada received this update with sentry mode yet? The thread posed the question whether it would be a US only feature, so just curious if its still looking that way or not.

Does Canada have stricter video surveillance law? Sentry mode is an always on camera surveillance system in public area, so it may need to be approved by authority before they could deploy it? If I park my car in front of a store head in close to their door and turn on sentry mode, I pretty much record all the customers going in and out of that store.

Received "software update available" notification yesterday Sunday at 5 pm, but decided not to update until later - when I got home and tried to install the update around 10 pm, the notification had disappeared, and the clock symbol (signifying pending update) on the car screen was not there either... very strange. As I'm currently at 2018.50.6 the phantom notification must have been for the sentry mode update, but no notification reappearance since then so far.

When it comes to updates and hotfixes, Tesla just gets it done - https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-sentry-mode-update-mobile-app-cloud-backups/

An excerpt from the article that is worth highlighting: "Apart from Sentry Mode’s integration with the mobile app, the electric car maker has also included a feature that allows footage captured by the vehicles’ external cameras to be uploaded to Tesla for backup. This particular feature makes Sentry Mode even more effective, as it protects owners against thieves who are knowledgeable enough to remove the USB drive from the vehicle during a break-in. Tesla explains this additional capability in its release notes."

This makes no sense. Break ins don't happen in Canada? Having side view dash cams recording for a t bone accident isn't needed in Canada because....nobody gets hit from the side in Canada?

Maybe you meant to say the rollout should happen in the us first, but this thread was asking if there would be a prolonged delay for sentry mode like there was when NoA was released. It took something like 3 months for it to come to Canada.

You're misinterpreting my words. Yes, break-ins happen everywhere. but it's a far bigger issue in california than canada. Think of it as a forest fire vs small fire. which one are you going to put out first? Remember when canada got priority of the winter update? same logic.
On top of that, this is SOFTWARE we're talking about. Always start slow rollout to get through all the bugs; followed by massive rollout.
Currently the rollout is paused due to bugs in SW.

As for the 'prolonged delay', you're mixing up sentry mode and NoA because NoA was country/region restricted. Very much like summon.

Not even sure why you mentioned t-bone because the front cam is enough to record the state of the intersection lights. But i'd like it medium rare please.

Reactions: MP3Mike