Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Another American-First Feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See how this performs...but Sentry activated! :D
upload_2019-3-12_13-50-34.png

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
It stays on until you go for a drive then it resets to off (you can arm it, open your door, walk away, and it still be armed). You'll need to re-enable it once you park via the screen or app.

I believe it was clocked at 2-3% every 8 hours or something like that. Basically, the same as if your car never went into sleep mode.

Yes the dashcam records from the same 3 cameras as Sentry mode. on 2019.5.4 there were reports that videos were being corrupted and not recording properly from the side cameras. Hopefully 2019.5.15 fixed a lot of these bugs.

Reports are that it uses about 1 mile of range per hour when Sentry mode is on. Currently you have to turn it on each time the car is put into park.

Damn, that's more than I was expecting. Doing some quick math, thats around 250-300 W of power consumption to have 3 cameras running. Agree it sounds like basically the car isn't going to sleep in this mode then. I've estimated previously that the phantom draw is around 60-70W, so this is about 3.5x the idle draw of phantom mode.

I guess its nice to have the feature, but I do think its a bit wasteful for running 3 cameras given that a dash cam maybe pulls 1A/5V, so 5W. That includes the writing to SD card in the dash cam, and usually also for powering a small LCD screen....So in my simple mind I would expect 3 cameras to add less than 25-30W of 'overhead' to the idle draw of a model 3. My 'quick' estimates and reality aren't always in alignment, but it seems excessive to me still :oops:

• Informative
Damn, that's more than I was expecting. Doing some quick math, thats around 250-300 W of power consumption to have 3 cameras running. Agree it sounds like basically the car isn't going to sleep in this mode then. I've estimated previously that the phantom draw is around 60-70W, so this is about 3.5x the idle draw of phantom mode.

I guess its nice to have the feature, but I do think its a bit wasteful for running 3 cameras given that a dash cam maybe pulls 1A/5V, so 5W. That includes the writing to SD card in the dash cam, and usually also for powering a small LCD screen....So in my simple mind I would expect 3 cameras to add less than 25-30W of 'overhead' to the idle draw of a model 3. My 'quick' estimates and reality aren't always in alignment, but it seems excessive to me still :oops:

Maybe you are forgetting that it isn't just three cameras running. It is using the AP computer to analyze all three camera feeds, and other sensors, to detect bad acts and turn on the screen/lights/horn/etc. Not to mention that the USB stick is hooked to a different computer, so that computer and network has to be up and running as well. So you have two full blown computers, a network, and a dedicated GPU unit running for Sentry mode.

It isn't a purpose built dashcam that was designed for low power consumption.

• Informative