Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode False Alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to trigger the alarm in version 2019.5.15 by banging on the windows? I originally had the first initial release of Sentry Mode in 2019.x.x (whatever the numbers were) and 2019.5.4. In the initial release, I was able to set off the Sentry Model alarm by banging on the windows. However, I was not able to set it off in 2019.5.4 or 2019.5.15 when banging on the windows. I'm hitting it pretty hard too, but still no go. I'm not sure if it's a bug, faulty sensors, or the updated software being less sensitive. I can still see that Sentry is recording, but I just can't seem to trigger the alarm.

2019.5.15 and set it off by banging on back window...

Any alarm system with a sound component is going to give false alarms from time to time. If you make it too insensitive you'll lose part of the security (like not knowing if someone is quietly prowling around your car.) I'd rather have a false alarm from time to time than a system that doesn't work very well.

@BluestarE3 and @SoCalGuy,

Incorrect.....app notifies you BOTH when (a) Sentry Mode has triggered the alarm state, and (b) when the car alarm has been triggered.

Ski
That has not been my experience. Alert state is the HAL screen. Alarm state is when the alarm sounds. Also, directly from Tesla's blog post regarding Sentry Mode (emphasis mine):
When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a “Standby” state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car’s external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alert” state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alarm” state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car’s audio system.

If a car switches to “Alarm” state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJC3
I can see the motorcycle drive by, followed by my lights flashing.

View attachment 385638

Don't know about the garage you were parked in but we have one parking garage in town that when seated in your car parked and another car drives by, the car you're in kind of bounces up and down along with the concrete section of flooring. I hate it and don't like parking there because of it. We had our Blackvue camera record an event because of the motion. Guess it might be some building design thing (it was recently constructed and we are in earthquake country) but I find it unsettling nonetheless and can't imagine in an earthquake how it would move. Anyway I could see being parked in this garage and having the Sentry Mode alarm go off.

Last edited:
@BluestarE3 and @SoCalGuy,

Incorrect.....app notifies you BOTH when (a) Sentry Mode has triggered the alarm state, and (b) when the car alarm has been triggered.

Ski
Upon rereading your post, I see where there may be some confusion. We're talking about different things. Your post above refers to two different types of alarm events that will generate a notification: a Sentry Mode stage 2 (Alarm State) alarm triggered by, for example, smashing a window and the standard car alarm triggered by somehow opening a door or the trunk of a locked car. Yes, a notification is sent anytime the alarm sounds (assuming that option is enabled). However, I was replying specifically to @SoCalGuy 's question about whether or not triggering Sentry Mode stage 1 (Alert State aka "HAL" screen) should generate a notification; it does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0ptions
I have not been able to set off my alarm, even with the car locked, sentry mode on and my phone out of range. You CAN'T test it when the phone is close enough to connect.
Turn off Bluetooth on your phone. Bang really hard repeatedly on the windows with open hands. If it doesn't work on the rear quarter windows, try the side windows or windshield.

I have not been able to set off my alarm, even with the car locked, sentry mode on and my phone out of range. You CAN'T test it when the phone is close enough to connect.

Easy test... leave phone out of range... then walk up to car and pull a door handle or two... that should bring up HAL on screen... then walk o back window and use palm and slam window... alarm should sound a notification to your cell.

Easy test... leave phone out of range... then walk up to car and pull a door handle or two... that should bring up HAL on screen... then walk o back window and use palm and slam window... alarm should sound a notification to your cell.

Confirmed! It took a LOT of banging on the windows, and on the pillar where the side camera is located in particular. The Bach was loud enough to get a few of my neighbors to pop out of their houses and see what what was going on!

Reactions: Leeclanual
I set off my Sentry mode alarm today and did NOT receive any notification on my cell (Tesla app). Phone was inside the house. And I didn't have to bang too hard on the rear driver side window to set off the alarm.

Edit: Spoke (posted) too soon. My phone did get a notice but it must have occurred a couple of minutes after I check it immediately following the alarm trigger.

Does anyone know how long the alarm will blast once it is triggered? I just got an alarm trigger notification on my phone and won’t be able to check it for like 11 hours. This is the first time I’ve got a notice like this so crossing my fingers nothing actually happened to the car.

Also hoping the alarm didn’t go off for too long.

Does anyone know how long the alarm will blast once it is triggered? I just got an alarm trigger notification on my phone and won’t be able to check it for like 11 hours. This is the first time I’ve got a notice like this so crossing my fingers nothing actually happened to the car.

I posted a similar question because I was going on a hike in an area with out cell service, but nobody seemed to know the answer. That said, if you get the notification and open the app, it will stop the alarm, at least I think. I’ve had it go off twice do to motorcycles and both times the alarm was stopped before I got to the car, so I assume it was stopped by opening the app.

I posted a similar question because I was going on a hike in an area with out cell service, but nobody seemed to know the answer. That said, if you get the notification and open the app, it will stop the alarm, at least I think. I’ve had it go off twice do to motorcycles and both times the alarm was stopped before I got to the car, so I assume it was stopped by opening the app.

Thanks. Hoping it was just noise or vibration for this as well.

I had a false positive that activated the car alarm yesterday. I reviewed the footage and the only thing I could see was that some guy was backing up his truck near my 3, but he didn’t touch the car at all. No idea why sentry activated for that.

It seems to only go off for 30 seconds from the couple of false alarms I’ve gotten. Then it rearms itself after.