Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Hardware question for Nov 2018 built Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car build date is Nov 2018. DS mentioned that it has AP Hardware 2.0. But I see that AP Hardware 2.5 is available from 2017. When I searched in EV-CPO site with VIN, got the below details.

APF1 Autopilot Firmware 2.0 Base
APH3 AP 2.5
APPB Enhanced Autopilot

I am Still waiting for my car to deliver. Does it has AP 2.5 or 2.0? I am little confused on this as I am not sure if I get the Sentry mode or not.

Can anyone clarify this on the version?

Thanks.

According to the option code APH3, yes, the car has HW 2.5. The "Firmware 2.0 Base" code is the software.

Just to clarify, there are really two versions of "Autopilot" - AP1 and AP2.

AP1 by MobileEye is no longer being developed, while AP2 from Tesla is.

AP2 can consist of hardware levels: HW2.0, HW2.5, and HW3.0
AP2 can also consist of the following software levels: AP, EAP, and FSD (two flavors).

But even if the car has the option code APH3 (i.e. HW2.5) that doesn't mean the car actually has it.. it could be a coding error. But that's pretty unlikely.

According to the option code APH3, yes, the car has HW 2.5. The "Firmware 2.0 Base" code is the software.

Just to clarify, there are really two versions of "Autopilot" - AP1 and AP2.

AP1 by MobileEye is no longer being developed, while AP2 from Tesla is.

AP2 can consist of hardware levels: HW2.0, HW2.5, and HW3.0
AP2 can also consist of the following software levels: AP, EAP, and FSD (two flavors).

But even if the car has the option code APH3 (i.e. HW2.5) that doesn't mean the car actually has it.. it could be a coding error. But that's pretty unlikely.

Thanks for the details. This car has EAP. I will test this once I get the car.

My car build date is Nov 2018. DS mentioned that it has AP Hardware 2.0

No, it has HW2.5. All Model S/X built between 7 Aug 2017 and 29 Mar 2019 have HW2.5. Therefore you will get Sentry mode and Dashcam features.

By the way, I recommend watching Tesla's Autopilot Event on 22 April. Elon will talk about Full Self-Driving features they are planning to release by the end of this year. If you buy FSD, you get the HW3.0 computer retrofit for free. You can add FSD for $5,000 before delivery or $7,000 after delivery. Prices are expected to increase on May 1st. Details here.

Just to be clear, you have EAP (shown as C here) and buying FSD would add D. Currently FSD adds nothing if you have EAP. However, they are planning to release Automated city driving and traffic light recognition by the end of this year.

Last edited:
No, it has HW2.5. All Model S/X built between 7 Aug 2017 and 29 Mar 2019 have HW2.5. Therefore you will get Sentry mode and Dashcam features.

By the way, I recommend watching Tesla's Autopilot Event on 22 April. Elon will talk about Full Self-Driving features they are planning to release by the end of this year. If you buy FSD, you get the HW3.0 computer retrofit for free. You can add FSD for $5,000 before delivery or $7,000 after delivery. Prices are expected to increase on May 1st. Details here.

Just to be clear, you have EAP (shown as C here) and buying FSD would add D. Currently FSD adds nothing if you have EAP. However, they are planning to release Automated city driving and traffic light recognition by the end of this year.
Thank you for the details. I will check with the DS about buying the FSD option and upgrade to HW3.0. Do we still get the HW3.0 if we upgrade in later stages or is that provided only for the current upgrades?

Do we still get the HW3.0 if we upgrade in later stages or is that provided only for the current upgrades?

Yes, you still get HW3.0 because the new FSD features they are planning to release later this year won't work with HW2.5. The HW2.5 computer is already at 80% capacity. Elon confirmed multiple times that anybody who buys FSD will get the HW3.0 computer. However, FSD price might increase on May 1st. Btw, the $7,000 I mentioned above for FSD is wrong. It should be $5,000 because you are adding FSD to EAP.