Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Live Camera View and Keyfob (DO NOT want to use phone as key)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the keyfob because I find it much more useful than using a cell phone as a key. I can unlock or lock the doors, open and close the trunk, and open the frunk without needing to even take the keyfob out of my pocket. Carrying the keyfob also means that I do not need to carry the key card in my wallet as a backup (for use if my phone dies or runs out of battery power) because the keyfob can be tapped in the same places the key card can be tapped, even if its batteries die completely.

There is just one problem: I have driven off several times without carrying the keyfob because I don't need to unlock my car when it's parked in my garage and therefore do not need to use the keyfob to leave the house, but due to the fact that I was carrying my phone, the car acted like I was carrying a key because I was carrying a key (my phone). This puts me in a really bad situation: if that phone were to die or run out of battery power, I'd be stranded. Solution: I revoked my phone's ability to act as a key to the Tesla. I can still remote control the car, but just not start and drive it using the Bluetooth on my phone. Which obviously forces me to have the keyfob before leaving the garage.

However, I discovered an issue with this solution: the Sentry Mode Live Camera View no longer works on my phone, since it requires that the phone being used to view the cameras be registered with the vehicle as a key. One possible solution would be to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone, but this would mean that I can't make it receive phone calls through the car's sound system. Has anyone (1) been able to have a phone registered as a key (2) that does NOT provide the ability to start the vehicle, but (3) which can make or receive calls through the vehicle's sound system? I basically want the ability to disable the phone's ability to unlock and start the vehicle while still registered as a key (so I can view the Sentry Mode Live Cameras) while the phone can make and receive calls. And I haven't found a way to do it...

[Edit: Sorry about the necro, didn't see the age of the post at first, thought it was new.]

Delete the phone key out of the list of keys in the car settings. Then it will stop working...

Personally, I love the phone key. I use the phone key as my primary key but keep a key card in my wallet as a backup (which I have never needed yet).

[Edit: Sorry about the necro, didn't see the age of the post at first, thought it was new.]

Delete the phone key out of the list of keys in the car settings. Then it will stop working...

Personally, I love the phone key. I use the phone key as my primary key but keep a key card in my wallet as a backup (which I have never needed yet).
I believe deleting the phone key on the car side will make it where that phone won't be able to do Sentry Mode Live View though. What I ended up doing was revoking the Tesla app's permissions for Nearby Devices on Android. That way, it cannot access the Bluetooth and therefore cannot start the car, but it still knows the shared key so it can access Sentry Mode Live View.

I believe deleting the phone key on the car side will make it where that phone won't be able to do Sentry Mode Live View though. What I ended up doing was revoking the Tesla app's permissions for Nearby Devices on Android. That way, it cannot access the Bluetooth and therefore cannot start the car, but it still knows the shared key so it can access Sentry Mode Live View.
I realize this is an old thread, but I think I want to do the very thing you're talking about here.

Just to confirm, I don't want to use my android phone as a "phone key" for the car and not a huge fan of the key card. I went ahead and bought a fob that arrives tomorrow. I do want to be able to see the live cameras via the app on said phone. I also want to be able to have the phone calls and messages received in the Tesla when I'm in the car. How do I go about doing this?

I realize this is an old thread, but I think I want to do the very thing you're talking about here.

Just to confirm, I don't want to use my android phone as a "phone key" for the car and not a huge fan of the key card. I went ahead and bought a fob that arrives tomorrow. I do want to be able to see the live cameras via the app on said phone. I also want to be able to have the phone calls and messages received in the Tesla when I'm in the car. How do I go about doing this?
Revoke Nearby Devices permission (on Android, this means Bluetooth; for iOS, find the equivalent permission and revoke it) for the Tesla app. The pairing process for phone calls and music from your mobile device is separate from adding the phone as a key so do that as usual. You can even use one phone as the key and another for phone calls.

Revoke Nearby Devices permission (on Android, this means Bluetooth; for iOS, find the equivalent permission and revoke it) for the Tesla app. The pairing process for phone calls and music from your mobile device is separate from adding the phone as a key so do that as usual. You can even use one phone as the key and another for phone calls.
A couple more questions, if I revoke the Android phone's "nearby devices permission" will the car still be able to receive texts and phone calls from that phone? Second, do I have to re-pair the phone to the car? Lastly, do I set the phone as a key before or after revoking the nearby devices?

Thanks

Yes.

No.

Before. The car must detect the phone to add it as a key.
Thank you. I was able to successfully add the phone as a key and then I was able to revoke Tesla's app permission for "nearby devices". It worked perfectly.

The only issue is this notification in the Tesla app that says, "Phone key disabled". But I can deal with that.

Screenshot_20230414_203443_Tesla.jpg