Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Memory card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted in owners manual pg. 76

Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has testing the following flash drives and confirmed that they meet the requirements for using Dashcam and Sentry Mode:
• •
SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500
You will want a memory card reader that is rated for dashcams or other video recording. A regular USB memory stick will supposedly wear out too quickly. I purchased the memory card and USB reader stick kit from puretesla for mine. Other folks go w Samsung T5 SSD.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have a 500GB T5 for my setup. I partitioned 64GB for my music drive, and the reset for TeslaCam. Tested it in my son's M3 and it works just fine. I am able to play (read) music and record (write) sentry/dash cam footage at the same time with no problems. Now I just need a MY to show up and I'll be good.

I have a 500GB T5 for my setup. I partitioned 64GB for my music drive, and the reset for TeslaCam. Tested it in my son's M3 and it works just fine. I am able to play (read) music and record (write) sentry/dash cam footage at the same time with no problems. Now I just need a MY to show up and I'll be good.
Planning to do the same...You partitioned as separate drives I assume? Both FAT32 or ExFat??

Posted in owners manual pg. 76

Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has testing the following flash drives and confirmed that they meet the requirements for using Dashcam and Sentry Mode:
• •
SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
What they don't tell you is that constant writes and overwrites seem to degrade the USB flash drives more significantly than the SD card/USB adapter setup. Have been using the latter for more than a year with no problems, after bricking (very slow writes) a high-end Samsung USB flash drive.

Last edited:
What they don't tell you is that constant writes and overwrites seem to degrade the USB flash drives more significantly than the SD card/USB adapter setup. Have been using the latter for more than a year with no problems, after bricking (very slow writes) a high-end Samsung USB flash drive.

I went with the scan disk they referenced as it was slightly cheaper and I’ve had good experience with them in the past. But boy, memory is CHEAP these days, so if/when it does fail I’m not overly concerned of failure due to costs, just inconvenience and Murphy’s law.

Reactions: empiredown
I went with the scan disk they referenced as it was slightly cheaper and I’ve had good experience with them in the past. But boy, memory is CHEAP these days, so if/when it does fail I’m not overly concerned of failure due to costs, just inconvenience and Murphy’s law.
The only thing is, you don't want to need a video from Sentry or DashCam and discover your flash memory bit the dust.

Reactions: theganjaguru
As previously posted on another thread, my Sentry & Dashcam hasn’t worked since 3 patches ago on my Model 3, could of been 2020.12.5 ... kept waiting for a new release to fix it and nothing, tried 5 flash cards from 2.0 to 3.1, low end and high speed ones and also SSD drive, I just had the mobile ranger check it out just now since he was here to install the Homelink on the model Y, he just disconnected the 12 volt battery and reconnected it. Still won’t record, I activate Sentry mode to show him, still no recording.

Note: I am using 2020.16.2.1 and also have formatted the flash cards successfully using the onscreen commands. The model Y is currently on 2020.16.2.5 and it does record Sentry Mode but won’t record Dashcam.

I set up and appointment to have a mobile service check it out on Thursday June 4th, the service tech called me as they did diagnostics over the air and did see that the flash card was mounted properly. The work will be sent to a level 2 tech and he said in most cases the computer might have to be changed out, don’t know which computer he is talking about as there is a USB hub that could go bad as well. My USB’s are working, they charge the phone and I am able to play music through it. Will report back with the findings.

Fred

Reactions: Rg3500