Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode sleeping on the job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
I have been doing a lot of testing of Sentry Mode in 2019.12.1.1 and earlier. I have found a troubling issue that I did report to Tesla. I have a 100D with AP2.5 and MCU1 in a late November 2017 built.

After some number of hours (2-5hrs), and the car appears to be sleeping, Sentry Mode stops working. You can walk up to the car, rap on the windows, make scary faces, and it detects nothing. I thought nothing could stop HAL, short of Dave pulling out his memory cards.

I have tried every combination imaginable: leaving the iPhone app running and not running, car charging or not charging, in a dark garage or a lit space, wifi and no wifi, even though it records without problem to the USB stick, I have tried many different flavors, etc. etc. etc.

I bought an RF shield for the fob so I can test the car out in the wild as well as in my garage. No matter what I try, Sentry Mode falls asleep on the job after a variable number of hours. To wake HAL back up, all I have to do is turn Sentry Mode off and then back on using the app.

On a related topic, I have a suggestion to Tesla, or rather my wife, Dana has a suggestion. Make the recorded DashCam and Sentry videos visible on the big touchscreen. It means little to come back to the car and see notifications that Sentry Mode detected something if you have no immediate way to see what happened.

Same here with a late 2017 100D. However it seems to work all day on the model 3 we have.

I wonder if the developer of the stats app could help here until Tesla fix the issue and just turn the Sentry mode on/off every few hours. This will not solve it for me at work however as I don't have connectivity in the parking garage but will in other situations.