Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Thumbstick - Must use Glovebox USB port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Quick question regarding the thumbstick for Sentry Mode.

I have a 2022 M3 and recently added data functionality to the USB-C ports in the center console.
I tried moving the Tesla Sentry thumbstick to the center console using a USB-C to USB-A adapter and get an error:

UI_a111 Re-Insert USB into Glovebox for Higher Speed

I'm assuming this simply means the USB-C ports in the center console can NOT be used for Sentry recording.
Can anyone confirm? Are the center console ports USB2.0 while the Glovebox is USB3.0 or something?

Hey guys,

I have a 2022 M3 and recently added data functionality to the USB-C ports in the center console.
I tried moving the Tesla Sentry thumbstick to the center console using a USB-C to USB-A adapter and get an error:

I'm assuming this simply means the USB-C ports in the center console can NOT be used for Sentry recording.
Can anyone confirm? Are the center console ports USB2.0 while the Glovebox is USB3.0 or something?
I "think" you are correct. We simply use the glove box for sentry things and it works well.

Reactions: IceMan8247
Yeah, I felt a little silly asking the question. The error message is pretty cut-and-dry Re-Insert "USB into Glovebox for Higher Speed"
I suppose I was curious if anyone had a workaround. I appreciate the answer!

The advice that @ColoradoMike and @Soul Surfer are giving you is correct for a 2023 vehicle that is stock... but yours isnt. You specifically said:

This means your vehicle is not stock, you went and added the module to the USB C ports in the center console in an attempt to return data connection to the vehicle. If data connection is not working on those ports now, you need to look at the module you installed, etc.

For teslas that have a data port in the console (older ones like mine for example), we dont even have a glove box USB drive so data works in the console. Your choice is to either troubleshoot your installation (whatever you installed above to "recently add data function to USB C ports in the center console" or give up on using data there and use the glovebox port, making your installation of that data port unecessary.

I would start by trying a different USB device, since sometimes people get that error message from the USB device they are using (if you are going to troubleshoot your install). There are also some threads here on that install, so you could look for those, or message the seller of your device and ask for troubleshooting assistance.

Hey guys,

That error usually shows when a computer expects high speed USB and it gets a slow one. The glovebox is definitely USB 3.0. However, I don't think dashcam actually needs anything faster than USB2.0. I would check the drive you are using and also the adapter cable you are using.

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps the cheap USB-C to USB-A adapter was causing the problem. I will try a native USB-C thumbdrive and see if that works any better.
Why fight it? Not worth the effort. IMHO let the car do it's thing.
Leave the Tesla USB key in the glove box and use the 2 ports you installed for other things.

I as well have done the same as you and installed the aftermarket part. I have my music on in the console using a small usb key.
The only thing is if you wish to format the drive used for the car via the screen you will need to unplug all other usb keys you have plugged into the console ports leaving only the usb key in the glove box plugged in for the format to work.

I have a 2022 M3LR as well and I'm interested to know if the data cable was taped to the loop when you installed this. I would rather buy the OEM hub from Tesla but really don't feel like taking other panels off to route a cable.
Yes, my data cable was behind the USB-C panel in the console. All I had to do was install the Tparts module and plug in the cable and it worked.
I took delivery March 2022. Evidently around June/July they stopped including the cable.

It is also my understanding the cable that was taped to the loop does not run all the way to the computer. It is relatively short, and there is a factory extension that goes to the computer. I believe there was also a short period of time where the cable was taped to the loop, but the extension was not installed. So in this case, it would appear that you just need to plug the taped cable into the Tparts module, but it would not work because the extension is missing. I'm not sure which months this applies to.

I know its a little complicated, but hopefully that makes sense.

Regarding the UI_a111 code I was getting while trying to plug my Sentry thumbdrive into the center console - I finally gave up. No matter what I tried, I always got the error message to move the thumbstick to the glove box. (I even tried a Samsung thumbdrive with a native USB-C connector).

Yes, my data cable was behind the USB-C panel in the console. All I had to do was install the Tparts module and plug in the cable and it worked.
I took delivery March 2022. Evidently around June/July they stopped including the cable.

It is also my understanding the cable that was taped to the loop does not run all the way to the computer. It is relatively short, and there is a factory extension that goes to the computer. I believe there was also a short period of time where the cable was taped to the loop, but the extension was not installed. So in this case, it would appear that you just need to plug the taped cable into the Tparts module, but it would not work because the extension is missing. I'm not sure which months this applies to.

I know its a little complicated, but hopefully that makes sense.

Regarding the UI_a111 code I was getting while trying to plug my Sentry thumbdrive into the center console - I finally gave up. No matter what I tried, I always got the error message to move the thumbstick to the glove box. (I even tried a Samsung thumbdrive with a native USB-C connector).
I took delivery June 8, 2022. I’ll have to check for the cable. Any tips on popping that panel off. I have some plastic spudger tools I could use.

I took delivery June 8, 2022. I’ll have to check for the cable. Any tips on popping that panel off. I have some plastic spudger tools I could use.
I used a mechanics pick tool....Basically a screwdriver handle with a "L" shaped hook at the bottom.
Down at the bottom of the panel there are two slots that you can get a pry tool under. Once the hook was inside one of the slots, I yanked pretty hard and the panel popped off.

I think another way to check for the cable is by removing the kick panel above the passengers feet. This panel comes off pretty easily. If you open that panel, you can look to see if the spare USB port is empty, or has a cable already plugged in.

But I'm not exactly sure which port to look at. Theres a bunch of good youtube videos on the topic.
Let me know if you have anymore questions. Happy to help

Reactions: scotteh
Hey guys,

Interesting. I did the same in my 2022 model y last week, no issues. I was parked and just reviewing media though. You could get a usb-c stick. I bet it’s the usb-c/usb-a converter causing issues. Why? I was playing music off usb a stick in center consol using same adapter. Music would occasionally skip. I got a usb-c stick, no problems.

D
Interesting. I did the same in my 2022 model y last week, no issues. I was parked and just reviewing media though. You could get a usb-c stick. I bet it’s the usb-c/usb-a converter causing issues. Why? I was playing music off usb a stick in center consol using same adapter. Music would occasionally skip. I got a usb-c stick, no problems.
Did you need to install the Tparts USB-C module in your console? Or did your car already have USB-C ports with data in the center console from the factory?

D

Did you need to install the Tparts USB-C module in your console? Or did your car already have USB-C ports with data in the center console from the factory?
I have a 2022 model y. These cars came with power only capable front usb-c modules. I installed the TParts usb-c module to replace the usb-c ports with ones which support data & power. Been working great since install date around 2/2022. later when tesla agreed to begin selling theIr data/power usb-c module over the counter (USA only?) I bought one as a backup since it was so cheap at $40 USD. I never installed the tesla module.

for fun, I’ll use my usb-c mini thumb drive for sentry/dashcam for a few days to see if I get the message asking me to use The glovebox. I’ll playback flac audio music files using a device plugged in to the other usb-c to put some stress on the system.

Last edited:
For fun, I’ll use my usb-c stick for sentry / dashcam for a few days and post the details after a few days.
Cool - thanks for the followup.

When you try your USB-C stick in the center console for Sentry, keep an eye on the little alarm bell icon on your screen. If I recall correctly, the UI_a111 "error" does NOT pop up on the main screen. You'll need to click on the alarm bell icon to see the "error."

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Cool - thanks for the followup.

When you try your USB-C stick in the center console for Sentry, keep an eye on the little alarm bell icon on your screen. If I recall correctly, the UI_a111 "error" does NOT pop up on the main screen. You'll need to click on the alarm bell icon to see the "error."
I used a usb-c stick as my dash cam storage device today. I see the alert UI_a111 ”Re-insert USB into glovebox for higher speed”. This is marked as a green informational message. Everything works as expected. I was even playing music off a drive connected to the other usb-c the entire day. I also noticed the same when plugging my usb-a tesla branded usb stick in to usb-c port via an adapter.
I think this can be ignored. From what I recall the mcu has 2 usb ports which are usb 2.0 . The tesla branded usb storage stick is a Samsung device built for heat/cold endurance & says It is good for video surveillance situations (lots of data writing) and is usb 2.0 . I think Tesla wants us to use the glovebox because the glovebox port is directly connected to mcu. The center usb ports use a bridge, two usb ports sharing the some data wire to the mcu.

Reactions: IceMan8247
I used a usb-c stick as my dash cam storage device today. I see the alert UI_a111 ”Re-insert USB into glovebox for higher speed”. This is marked as a green informational message. Everything works as expected. I was even playing music off a drive connected to the other usb-c the entire day. I also noticed the same when plugging my usb-a tesla branded usb stick in to usb-c port via an adapter.
I think this can be ignored. From what I recall the mcu has 2 usb ports which are usb 2.0 . The tesla branded usb storage stick is a Samsung device built for heat/cold endurance & says It is good for video surveillance situations (lots of data writing) and is usb 2.0 . I think Tesla wants us to use the glovebox because the glovebox port is directly connected to mcu. The center usb ports use a bridge, two usb ports sharing the some data wire to the mcu.
Thanks for conducting the detailed testing. Your results perfectly match my findings.

I suppose the only thing yet to be tested is the Tesla OEM USB module in the center console. It will probably yield identical results, but I guess its possible the OEM hub will act differently than the Tparts hub.

Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks for conducting the detailed testing. Your results perfectly match my findings.

I suppose the only thing yet to be tested is the Tesla OEM USB module in the center console. It will probably yield identical results, but I guess its possible the OEM hub will act differently than the Tparts hub.

Anyway, thanks again!
Hmmm. Maybe one of these days I’ll consider swapping my TParts module with the tesla oem module that I have. I broke one fastener in the car last time so that is why I have not swapped again.

i think we’d see the same message. Tesla probably coded this message to appear for cars which only came with glovebox data capable usb-a because they trust their usb port more. In the past the cuphead game also printed a similar message when the game started asking me to plug the game controller in to the glovebox. Which is funny because i got the tparts module to handle two player games in order to avoid the need for adding a usb bridge in glovebox since manual says to not use a bridge in the glovebox. …. The center usb modules tparts and oem are a bridge type device too, one usb connection from computer becomes two usb ports on the module.