Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry USB Disconnected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see that their Sentry USB is disconnecting frequently since the last update?
It seems that since that update, maybe not related, my USB for Sentry is disconnected when I get in the car.
I have to unplug it and wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in and it works. I thought maybe it was something the glovebox bumping it but there is not in there.
Also it is connected when I park then not connected when I get back in later.

Just curious if anyone else is running into this before I open up a ticket on it.
My Sentry Camera seems to keep going from a having Red dot on it (signifying all is well) it to a Red "x" on it - when it has the Red "x" and I touch it, I get an error message to the effect that Dashcam is unavailable.

Initially, I would just unplug the Tesla Flash Drive and plug it back again and saw (or I thought) that the issue was fixed. Then I came across a thread on Twitter about this, and have been paying more attention to the issue. It seems like it is happening pretty consistently, & continues to do so after I switched from the Tesla Flash drive to a SanDisk (Extreme Portable) SSD. Something of interest is that I have noticed that the Storage devices get **super-hot** (both the Tesla Flash Drive and the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD) - in light of this, I have ordered Commercial Grade Flash Drives that can withstand -40°C to +85°C.

I am in the Atlanta, GA area, and I have a June '21 Vision-Only Model Y with LR, AWD, AP, and FSD.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any tips and ideas. Thanks!

My Sentry Camera seems to keep going from a having Red dot on it (signifying all is well) it to a Red "x" on it - when it has the Red "x" and I touch it, I get an error message to the effect that Dashcam is unavailable.

Initially, I would just unplug the Tesla Flash Drive and plug it back again and saw (or I thought) that the issue was fixed. Then I came across a thread on Twitter about this, and have been paying more attention to the issue. It seems like it is happening pretty consistently, & continues to do so after I switched from the Tesla Flash drive to a SanDisk (Extreme Portable) SSD. Something of interest is that I have noticed that the Storage devices get **super-hot** (both the Tesla Flash Drive and the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD) - in light of this, I have ordered Commercial Grade Flash Drives that can withstand -40°C to +85°C.

I am in the Atlanta, GA area, and I have a June '21 Vision-Only Model Y with LR, AWD, AP, and FSD.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any tips and ideas. Thanks!

Check your software version. If its higher than 2022.16.xx, its fixed.

I have 2022.12.3.20 with the FSD beta and the problem is still not fixed. Seems like Tesla is not giving beta users updates very frequently, even though we need one for the Dashcam Unavailable issue. Not sure what Tesla is waiting for. I have the Jeda HUB with the Jeda SSD and every time my Dashcam goes out I have to unplug the HUB, which is a tight fit inside the console. Doing this frequently will wear down the side carpet because of how tight the HUB fits. I tried just unplugging the SSD but that doesn't fit it, the whole HUB has to be unplugged from the USB A port.

So Tesla please give beta users a new update to fix this!

Last edited:
2022.12.3.20 Beta Tester same issue.
USB disconnects. If I unplug it then plug it back in sometimes it partially comes on. The Boombox folder will show but not the music folder. Sometimes the Camera will start recording again but USB and Boombox will not show. Nothing consistent except that it will disconnect again.

Reboot did not work.

FSD beta users are getting left behind. It's bad enough that we don't get frequent updates as it is, but then when there is a software bug for something else, we end up having to wait even longer for the fix while non beta users get it much quicker.

I'm really pissed off about this because there is no reason why beta users can't get bug fixes when everyone else does. We paid anywhere from $2,000 to $12,000 for FSD and had to have it to be able to get the beta for city streets, and yet we're treated like we don't matter, being forced to live with the software bugs. I don't want more frigging games in my car Elon, I want the bugs fixed!

FSD beta users are getting left behind. It's bad enough that we don't get frequent updates as it is, but then when there is a software bug for something else, we end up having to wait even longer for the fix while non beta users get it much quicker.

I'm really pissed off about this because there is no reason why beta users can't get bug fixes when everyone else does.
Actually there is a reason, which is that any updates may interact with the FSD Beta part and cause regressions. So they need to sync the two, and that would mean less releases.

Actually there is a reason, which is that any updates may interact with the FSD Beta part and cause regressions. So they need to sync the two, and that would mean less releases.
Okay, then why not release a minor FSD beta update with the fix, instead of making us wait months. This is the huge downside with having a software based vehicle, we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. At least give us the option to revert back to a software version that didn't have issues. Then we could at least enjoy our cars until the fix it out.