Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sept. 2020, End of Qtr, Free upgrades, NOT!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, same situation. I was told I was getting both, then just one. I picked the upgraded wheels over the free SC...it's been 3 days and my delivery is scheduled for this Sunday. My MVPA does not reflect the correct amount. I'm getting pretty frustrated, to be honest. I need to finalize the 'final payment' so I can get my CU to issue a check for the amount.

This whole process is anxiety-inducing. I'm actually psuedo-dreading the inspection on Sunday as I am VERY anal and could see myself reject a car I've already purchased several hundred dollars of preventative accessories for (PPF, wraps, covers, screen protector, etc...). If the car is fine - I'm actually going to take mudguards with me to delivery and install them immediately.

When did you guy placed the order. It's very important what day and time that you placed the order.

I guess I got lucky. Officially placed my order around August 18. Was told that there were some delays. No problem, I'm out of town the first 2 weeks in September. 1 day before scheduled delivery, on my way home from the airport I'm reading about all these incentives. Called my rep, he said I could go from the extended range blue + rims to the sleeper preformance blue plus rims for 500 less. If I wait another week. Nothing's done til it's done but I paid my down payment and I'm looking forward to picking it up in 5 days or so.

It really depends on location. Cars for California are produced at the end of the quarter. Last weekend, there was literally almost zero inventory near Fremont.

that's a fair point but from what I read the spirit of the incentive was if you had ordered a car and there was one that you'd take that was in inventory that you'd take they could ok the color or wheel change for free to move the inventory car. It didn't seem like it was you could order a white car with 18" wheels and be delivered a blue one with 19" wheels later. Maybe i'm wrong on that but that's how i read it.

I test drove Saturday at Fremont, placed an order with the Sales Advisor, confirmation showed the full amount (not showing the discounted upgrade to 19" wheels and Deep Blue color). Sent an email to my sales advisor, no response so I cancelled my order Monday night. Tesla wall charger arrived Tuesday which I have sent back already.

Got a call from a Tesla Agent earlier saying that the deal needed to be individually approved and if I am still interested I can still order with the free upgrades and 2 years of free super charging.

I've been highly disappointed with this process I respectfully declined.

I placed an order on Sunday at Fremont and my SA said he will put in a request and will be taken care of in 3 to 4 business days. Nothing happened and my SA won't respond to texts. So I called Tesla and they told me that it will take up to 4 business days and he also told me that he would make sure SA would call me and update. None of that happened yet.

I test drove Saturday at Fremont, placed an order with the Sales Advisor, confirmation showed the full amount (not showing the discounted upgrade to 19" wheels and Deep Blue color). Sent an email to my sales advisor, no response so I cancelled my order Monday night. Tesla wall charger arrived Tuesday which I have sent back already.

Got a call from a Tesla Agent earlier saying that the deal needed to be individually approved and if I am still interested I can still order with the free upgrades and 2 years of free super charging.

Not sure why you cancel the order so quickly? SA should mention it'd take a few days to process the discount. You can always cancel the order before delivery anyways.

Keep your order. The numbers will show on the final MVPA before you sign it.

I emailed my SA and left her a voicemail but no communication back. I went into Tesla at Cherry Creek Colorado today and asked them if I can get the 2 years of SC. They said that should be no problem. They even emailed me a confirmation. To qualify for this you must ask your SA before your 7 day return period. I inquired about the free upgrades and was basically shut down very quickly. But hey I'll take 2 years of SC better than nothing.

Reactions: SigNC
Musk could use this opportunity to say, 'Oh sorry, it was an unintended event. However, as a 'one-time deal,' we will honor it and extend the offer for [insert number] days, to make every buyers happy..

Exactly. Poor management (on the sales chain) created the drama. Strong management (on the executive side) could have turned it into a win.

The reality is that optional paint and interior colors have no measurable impact on production cost, but booking several hundred new sales in Q3 that are now lost would have had significant impact on gross revenue and unit volume numbers.

Teslas handling of the situation created negative impact on both their reputation and quarterly results.

Ironically, as much as I'm piling on Tesla here for this latest Q3 communications faux pas, I am more often them not defending them as the true disruptors in EV's. I hate that more ammunition is given to their detractors that despite their vision and technology, they are simply not effective on the manufacturing and sales side.

Sept. 2019, End of Qtr, Free upgrades, NOT!

Wow, total **** show at the Tesla center trying to buy a new Tesla..

1. Took a look at an M3SR last week, noted several inventory vehicles (SR+ that could be down-coded to SR) that might meet my needs.

2. Brought my wife in last weekend to take a test drive. She liked it. We decided we liked grey, black interior, upgraded wheels.

3. Was told by the Sales Manager that Tesla just started a program that any inventory car delivered before the end of the qtr would recieve up to two free upgrades in paint color, wheels, interior.

4. Found a car in inventory, put down a deposit, set up a delivery date for Friday.

5. Local Tesla center evidently needs to send in an "adjustment case" for the modified pricing, which they did.

6. Was just told by the Sales Manager at the local Tesla center that I would NOT get either of the free upgrades, that it was a tesla corporate -> tesla local center "miscommunication".

So my price just went up $2,500, and effectively I get zero tangible incentives for closing before end of quarter, so I cancelled. Way to go Tesla, another irritated customer and lost sale.

What the local center is now being told by Tesla is the upgrade incentives only apply 1) ordered before 9/13, and 2) order has not been matched or assigned, and 3) there is a car in inventory that would match but has an upgraded cost paint or wheels or interior... So effectively, only folks who ordered say a white car with aero wheels could take advantage by taking a grey car with 19" wheels, or maybe folks who want/ordered black interior could take a car with white interior.

How many extra sales is that going to create? Not many!
I was able to get my two free deviations approved today

taking delivery on Wed 9/25

Reactions: axhoaxho
Yup, same situation. I was told I was getting both, then just one. I picked the upgraded wheels over the free SC...it's been 3 days and my delivery is scheduled for this Sunday. My MVPA does not reflect the correct amount. I'm getting pretty frustrated, to be honest. I need to finalize the 'final payment' so I can get my CU to issue a check for the amount.

This whole process is anxiety-inducing. I'm actually psuedo-dreading the inspection on Sunday as I am VERY anal and could see myself reject a car I've already purchased several hundred dollars of preventative accessories for (PPF, wraps, covers, screen protector, etc...). If the car is fine - I'm actually going to take mudguards with me to delivery and install them immediately.
Was in Same boat here. You can use the existing mvpa to generate a check with your cu assuming you aren't financing the whole thing. I waited and waited. SA assured I would get it. Then she finally called and said they aren't doing it for p3d- and promotion was over. I know that's bs cuz someone just took delivery yesterday and had it approved. Wish you luck though