Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2019 model 3 came with HW2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a lie. It was true at the time. And we all know supply isn't guaranteed, especially for car mfging. Elon constantly talks about the difficulty of mass car mfging and supply chain. Anyway, again, I'm neutral on this, just my 2 cents.

To me, this falls in a similar category to, "I just got my car and they updated something a week ago that I didn't get."

Do we have any proof it was true at the time?

Nevertheless, we know in late April Tesla said all cars are manufactured with HW3 and then at least in May cars were manufactured with HW2.5 without a preceding (or even after the fact) announcement of a change to the just announced fact that many buyers were sure to use as a reason for purchase. Highly misleading in any case.

Last edited:
Well this is beyond that because this is more like Tesla saying all cars are AP2 and then selling you an AP1. This time Tesla had claimed all cars are HW3 since the spring and in the autumn ship HW2.5...

Then again, I guess I would agree, it is also a bit like AP 2.5 actually just being ”2.1” and no different — and then AP 2.5 getting all the nifty features...

Yes, they say a lot of false things don’t they.

Not really. Because an AP1 car can never be an AP2 car, while a simple computer upgrade that Tesla will do at no additional cost will turn this car into an AP3 car in the (hopefully near) future.

Not really. Because an AP1 car can never be an AP2 car, while a simple computer upgrade that Tesla will do at no additional cost will turn this car into an AP3 car in the (hopefully near) future.

No analogy is perfect. You get the point though: The difference here isn’t just missing out on something new, it is getting a different thing that the company had announced you would get and reasonably could expect to get. Even if it can and will be retrofitted later, you will miss out on everything in-between (cones...). Who knows how long the retrofit queue may be.

Not getting HW3 when Tesla had announced all cars are made with HW3 now is very different from, say, getting AP1 right before AP2 launched.

As to not having HW3 on delivery last month? Ouch. This is only a little annoying for you since you got the FSD upgrade which will come with the free HW3 upgrade. But, really sucks for people not planning on getting the upgrade. They'll miss out on things HW3 will detect that HW2.5 can't.

Like the recently introduced cone detection for example.
Just as a note, we don't definitively know yet if traffic cone recognition requires HW3, since it doesn't seem to have been rolled out to any HW2.5 cars yet. This Musk tweet seems to imply it doesn't:

Elon Musk on Twitter

But yes, once HW3-only features come out, HW2.5 owners (especially those who paid for FSD) will probably be very annoyed if the hardware upgrades don't happen soon (and with good reason).

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Just as a note, we don't definitively know yet if traffic cone recognition requires HW3, since it doesn't seem to have been rolled out to any HW2.5 cars yet. This Musk tweet seems to imply it doesn't:

Elon Musk on Twitter

But yes, once HW3-only features come out, HW2.5 owners (especially those who paid for FSD) will probably be very annoyed if the hardware upgrades don't happen soon (and with good reason).

It's noteworthy that this feature, for some unknown reason, seems to be only available in the Model 3 if you have HW3. Doesn't make any sense because that feature's been around for years on S/X, but hey, it's something my Model 3 doesn't do and should (seeing as it's in the manual and all):

02CUoMs.jpg

Starting Summon before exit actually worked for me when I tried it on my HW2.5 Model 3. That was months ago though, so perhaps it fell victim to a firmware update?

I dunno. I've never, ever had it work for me though, and I've had the nanny "continuous press" feature turned off since we got the original update with Summon.

PS: it's also an utterly useless and unsafe feature IMO.

You're allowed to have an opinion. ;)

That said, I disagree, because getting out of my car in my small garage is a pain in the ass and I'm sure it looks like automotive equivalent of the scene in Ace Ventura 2 where he struggles to get out of the fake rhino's butt when I do so. It was great with Model S to be able to get out and let the car pull in.

As for unsafe, well, the life without risk is the life without reward as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I disagree, because getting out of my car in my small garage is a pain in the ass and I'm sure it looks like automotive equivalent of the scene in Ace Ventura 2 where he struggles to get out of the fake rhino's butt when I do so. It was great with Model S to be able to get out and let the car pull in.

As for unsafe, well, the life without risk is the life without reward as far as I'm concerned.
The problem is that you may not be able to react quickly enough if the car is about to bump into a wall or something (especially if you don't even have the app open after starting Summon via the touch screen). I would never dare to use Summon without the continuous press "nanny", as you call it. :p

The problem is that you may not be able to react quickly enough if the car is about to bump into a wall or something (especially if you don't even have the app open after starting Summon via the touch screen). I would never dare to use Summon without the continuous press "nanny", as you call it. :p

Yeah it's fine, I accept that risk. With the S you could stop it by hitting the trunk button, so I just walked behind the car as it pulled in, figure I'd do the same with the 3.

So I guess traffic cone recognition is not ‘meaningful distinction’, feature-wise, according to Tesla. Maybe they want/wait for us, customers, to say that it is meaningful enough to start offering long-promised HW2.5->HW3.0 upgrades for FSD owners. It is one way for Tesla to defer extra expenses. Smart, I guess.

So I guess traffic cone recognition is not ‘meaningful distinction’, feature-wise, according to Tesla. Maybe they want/wait for us, customers, to say that it is meaningful enough to start offering long-promised HW2.5->HW3.0 upgrades for FSD owners. It is one way for Tesla to defer extra expenses. Smart, I guess.

Have they said anything yet?

I was going to keep on politely querying them, but will get seriously thinking about possible ways to force the issue if city AP is HW3 specific and they still won't apply the HW3 upgrade.