Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what roof will your house have?

Vegetation :) Not just a thin layer of grass - there will be half a meter of soil over it at the shallowest point.

Solar is not particularly useful here. We make Nunavut look sunny. And in the summer, the time when there's plenty, the sun rises and sets in the north, doing a full 360° around you. So if you have south-facing panels, they miss a lot of the summer sun. In the winter, it only comes from the south - when it's visible at all. It takes such a shallow arc that almost any obstacle can block it. In my valley, direct sunlight isn't visible for a couple months every year. Steeper valleys are even worse.

What I'd love would be "wind netting", with helical generators designed to be mounted horizontally between poles, to double as both power generation and a windbreak. No shortage of wind in the winter! Windstorms have been keeping me up at night lately, they've been really loud. There's a patchy coating of snow outside, which has been there for several days. I've still got the plants out there, as I want to make sure that they're fully convinced that winter has come (and then once I take them in, that it's gone, and time to grow again!). It should start warming up again on Sunday.

Sorry if you already saw I posted this elsewhere, but I noted this looks light enough to use for camping with your 3.

fourlinks_AtomicCamper-970x728.jpg

You've made a lot of progress

Vegetation :) Not just a thin layer of grass - there will be half a meter of soil over it at the shallowest point.

Solar is not particularly useful here. We make Nunavut look sunny. And in the summer, the time when there's plenty, the sun rises and sets in the north, doing a full 360° around you. So if you have south-facing panels, they miss a lot of the summer sun. In the winter, it only comes from the south - when it's visible at all. It takes such a shallow arc that almost any obstacle can block it. In my valley, direct sunlight isn't visible for a couple months every year. Steeper valleys are even worse.

What I'd love would be "wind netting", with helical generators designed to be mounted horizontally between poles, to double as both power generation and a windbreak. No shortage of wind in the winter! Windstorms have been keeping me up at night lately, they've been really loud. There's a patchy coating of snow outside, which has been there for several days. I've still got the plants out there, as I want to make sure that they're fully convinced that winter has come (and then once I take them in, that it's gone, and time to grow again!). It should start warming up again on Sunday.
I get back to where I last left off. I'd already cut the fence to make a gate, but honestly, gates are the least of my concern right now. I'm not going to do any more until the whole fence is in place, but at least concerning this one, I have to do it.

View attachment 467227

I use that nice "two loop" that was recommended in this thread. :)

View attachment 467228

Stretching and anchoring it to the post on the other side.

View attachment 467229

I keep working along. One problem I'm having is that the stretching tool tends to slide the vertical wires along the horizontal wires they're anchored to (as well as bending them). I think next time I might try to "kink" the horizontal wires a little to prevent this. Who knows, but worth a try :)

View attachment 467230

A ptarmigan dropped by and settled on the lower lip at the top of opposite cliff to watch me for a while.

Fun fact: the "pt" spelling of ptarmigan is based on an old, incorrect notion that the word was of greek origin. It's actually from Scottish Gaelic, "tàrmachan". Of course, we just call it "rjúpa". :) They're a game bird here, and popular at Christmas. But this one is of course safe around me! Check back in a few years, ptarmigan; I'm helping grow willows for those buds that you like to nibble on over the winter. :)

View attachment 467232

The sun is getting rather low, and there's a few things I need to do above, so I abandon my work by the river. I did however discover that it's better "skip posts", that I can tension just as well from every second post as I can from each post (I then go back and nail the fence up to the skipped post). Next time I do this, I'm going to see how many posts I can get away with skipping; tensioning is the part that takes the longest.

View attachment 467231

Back up top, I head to the shed. I really don't know whether I'll actually make it back before winter really sets in, so I have to assume I won't. I empty all the tools out my trunk into the shed, and replace them with my winter rims.

View attachment 467233

One tool is still sitting outside, though - the post pounder.

View attachment 467234

I get a six-pallet windbreak hammered in and set up (in ever-growing winds that try to take the pallets out of my hands! ;) ) before it gets too dark to do anymore.

View attachment 467235

The post pounder goes into the shed, door locked, and I head home.

------------------

So, I don't know, this might be the last time I make it out this year. My next day off is Monday, and then after that, Friday through Sunday. After that comes Iceland Airwaves, which will eat up 100% of my time, from the moment I wake to the moment I sleep ;) (its a massive music festival in Reykjavík, hundreds of bands playing everywhere from tiny venues to concert halls; I usually see 80+ concerts in 5 days). As it stands, Monday is looking iffy, but you never know.
You've completed a lot of work not only in planting various trees but just as importantly in laying the foundation for the fencing that will keep the woolen, tree munching spawn of Satan off of your property. Enjoy your much deserved rest!

Hey Karen, the news bomb today where Elon said GF4 is coming to Berlin soon and will make batteries, power trains and vehicles, starting with Model Y, :D made me look at the maps to figure out where (A10/A13 area probably). And so I took another look at you location too. Lo & behold, the text is starting to show on that logo you formed! Does it say KOMDU, and is that some kind of galdr (Norse magic incantation) to get the car sooner? :D

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
Hey Karen, the news bomb today where Elon said GF4 is coming to Berlin soon and will make batteries, power trains and vehicles, starting with Model Y, :D made me look at the maps to figure out where (A10/A13 area probably). And so I took another look at you location too. Lo & behold, the text is starting to show on that logo you formed! Does it say KOMDU, and is that some kind of galdr (Norse magic incantation) to get the car sooner? :D

Hehe, well, right now it says nothing, as winter is setting in! But yes indeed, the text is "KOMDU" (COME) :) My grassroots attempt to send a clear message ;)

Too bad I cannot share these with you Karen.

The blue bucket is red oak, generated by trees I planted.

The other is a mix of red oak, English, pin, overcup, and some black oak.

I've taken to scattering acorns in less observed places; alongside highways and field edges that don't merit mowing.

Just helping out.

View attachment 483470 View attachment 483471
Heh, so you put the red oak in the blue bucket just to confuse? o_O

That large gnarly cap in the center of the red bucket looks like it came from a bur oak. What is that?
While red oak and pin oak are the most prevalent in NE Ohio, we also find english, burr and overcup here.

I've been "redistributing" acorns in areas of less traffic for the past couple of years in addition to my more purposeful treelawn work in the neighborhood.

Reactions: Dr. J and KarenRei