Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious Problem With 2 Teslas In Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
We recently purchased a 2nd Tesla. We've had a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 for a few years now. We just purchased a 2020 Model 3 Performance. We really enjoy all the newer features on the Model 3 that we don't have on the older S, but the S still has it's own advantages and charm as well. However, now that I've had 2 Teslas at the house, I discovered a have a huge problem that people should consider before getting a 2nd Tesla. It has kept me from leaving on schedule on multiple occasions. The problem is...I can't decide which Tesla to take!

We recently purchased a 2nd Tesla. We've had a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 for a few years now. We just purchased a 2020 Model 3 Performance. We really enjoy all the newer features on the Model 3 that we don't have on the older S, but the S still has it's own advantages and charm as well. However, now that I've had 2 Teslas at the house, I discovered a have a huge problem that people should consider before getting a 2nd Tesla. It has kept me from leaving on schedule on multiple occasions. The problem is...I can't decide which Tesla to take!
That's a terrible cross to bear. I applaud your courage and fortitude taking on this daily and ongoing challenge. Should you need some relief, you're welcome to park one of them in my garage, and I'll carry the burden for a while.

ha ha ha. That is cute. I was going to guess that with 2 Teslas in the garage, you really have a checking account balance problem :rolleyes:
And yes, your title qualifies as click bait ;)

I have the same issue, perhaps I can help. While there are those who may choose a car to match their clothing for the day or perhaps depending on who they want to impress at lunch - (younger crowd appreciates the 3 while the more traditional may prefer the stately S), I choose based on charge state. Because I can charge at work, it is simply a matter of choosing the car with the lowest charge. Then when I get to work, if I need charging, I plug in. If you have a system like this, stick to it and, of course, explain it carefully to each of your cars you can avoid feelings of favoritism later. If you don’t, you know that one morning you’ll come outside to find them arguing. “Dad always liked you best!”. (Elon says they will be talking soon)
Remember that the AI in your car makes it smart, but emotionally you still need to Treat it like a baby.

good luck adjusting to the new addition in your household!

The problem is...I can't decide which Tesla to take!

The struggle is real. We have been a two-Tesla family since 2012.

My wife is a teacher, and her students have always shown a lot of interest in her cars. Her favorite comment was on a cold winter day about 7 years ago. She was almost late for class due to traffic, the kids were being unruly, and she made an off-hand, half-joking comment to the class about being tired. One of the students said "We get it. It must be tough to get up every morning and have to decide which Tesla to drive to work."

Fortunately for me, the problem hasn't really been that exhausting. We've always had one Tesla that is more fun to drive than the other (usually the smaller one), so I've never had any problem deciding which one I want to take...and even more fortunate is that my wife is more concerned with creature comforts than driving joy, so she's usually happy to take the other/larger one. When the cars are different, we do sometimes have to switch because I need to carry more people or cargo or go a longer distance; or maybe she will be parking downtown and wants something smaller...those days are a slight bummer because we keep our stuff in our cars and then we have to move everything to switch. (I can hear your tears falling as I type this).

For two years we had two Teslas that were the same (Model S - well, one was a Sig 85 RWD and the other was a P90DL, so I still had a favorite) so we never had a reason to swap cars. Like deciding which Tesla to drive, that was one of those really nice little things that you find yourself embarrassed to mention because it's a solution to the most first-world problem ever...

The most expensive ICE I ever drove was under $20k, so yeah, same here.

Although part of why I support their mission and think they will succeed is that their products aren't just aimed at people that care about the mission.