Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Alert: VCFRONT_a557_TLVBMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received this message on an 3 week old Model Y after updating to 2023.32.4. Anyone understand what this message means? Is this a low voltage or high voltage batter BMS issue?

Hoping it just needs a low voltage battery swap.

DescriptionThe installed battery does not have a supported EMB identifier
Bet ConditionA battery is installed with an unsupported BMB identifier
Clear ConditionA battery is installed with a supported BMB identifier
Potential impactBMS firmware will select default config parameters which may not correspond to the actual battery type installed, Battery signals may be missing or incorrect

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 574
Sounds serious. Use your Tesla App to request a Service Appointment (battery and charging). Include the screen shots you shared.

Right now the high voltage battery - the most expensive and important component of your car - is “mostly working”. That’s risky in terms of sudden failure while driving, charging or parked in some remote location.

You might also be inflicting subtle damage that will impair battery capacity or life in the future.

Regardless, failure to act on the warning message could be grounds for Tesla to void your battery warranty. Imagine driving an ICE vehicle with the oil pressure warning light glowing, then expecting the manufacturer to replace the blown engine under warranty.

My guess is that your car has a high voltage Battery Management System that is newer than the software update your car just installed.

The software installed at the factory was an older version that had special modifications to handle the new BMS.

The update your car installed should not have been deployed to your car.

Received this message on an 3 week old Model Y after updating to 2023.32.4. Anyone understand what this message means? Is this a low voltage or high voltage batter BMS issue?

Hoping it just needs a low voltage battery swap.

DescriptionThe installed battery does not have a supported EMB identifier
Bet ConditionA battery is installed with an unsupported BMB identifier
Clear ConditionA battery is installed with a supported BMB identifier
Potential impactBMS firmware will select default config parameters which may not correspond to the actual battery type installed, Battery signals may be missing or incorrect
I was poking around in our new MYP (Austin build 8/23) service menu and saw the same alert. Wasn’t there prior to the new 2023.32.4 firmware, so wondering if a software bug (had been in there to install a Homelink module)? Have a service appt set for 9/18–will post when I find out more.

Reactions: jecsun
If it’s widespread then it might be a software regression, where the most recent release was built with some back level BMS integration code.

Or the newest release may have updated BMS firmware but not included updated integration code.

Complete speculation here, but this could be a loose end as some advancements from the Model 3 update are deployed across other lines.

These can be subtle issues. The “fail-safe” mechanism - the car’s computer falls back to default values when communicating with the unfamiliar BMS interface - can be either safe, where the default values work, or a failure with the car’s computer missing or misunderstanding key BMS data.

Years ago I dealt with a similar situation when several truckloads of older servers had network problems after moving from a site data center to a regional data center. The older servers worked flawlessly with the older Cisco network switches at their original site.

Unfortunately, the servers’ back-level network interface firmware could not integrate with the newer Cisco switches in the regional data center. Both the server and Cisco switch were thus forced to silently fail back to their default configuration for the network connection. The defaults were different on each end.

The mismatch was not evident at low traffic volumes while the servers were powered on and checked out. Once the applications started and network traffic volume ramped up the server was useless because of tremendous packet loss.

Reactions: jecsun
It may be related if this firmware is is based on older codebase, I’m unable to calibrate seats and mirrors… can you do me a favor and see if it’s still working on yours?
Someone in this thread noted they cannot calibrate either.

If it’s widespread then it might be a software regression, where the most recent release was built with some back level BMS integration code.

Or the newest release may have updated BMS firmware but not included updated integration code.

Complete speculation here, but this could be a loose end as some advancements from the Model 3 update are deployed across other lines.

These can be subtle issues. The “fail-safe” mechanism - the car’s computer falls back to default values when communicating with the unfamiliar BMS interface - can be either safe, where the default values work, or a failure with the car’s computer missing or misunderstanding key BMS data.

Years ago I dealt with a similar situation when several truckloads of older servers had network problems after moving from a site data center to a regional data center. The older servers worked flawlessly with the older Cisco network switches at their original site.

Unfortunately, the servers’ back-level network interface firmware could not integrate with the newer Cisco switches in the regional data center. Both the server and Cisco switch were thus forced to silently fail back to their default configuration for the network connection. The defaults were different on each end.

The mismatch was not evident at low traffic volumes while the servers were powered on and checked out. Once the applications started and network traffic volume ramped up the server was useless because of tremendous packet loss.
Thanks for the insight. I noticed another “bug” (I hope…) in the service menu (linked below). Essentially, a rear occupancy sensor alert only present in service mode, which, after hours of probing, attributed it to potentially a wiring difference between 7 and 5 seaters. I also discovered while looking at circuit diagrams in the service manual site that model 7’s were recently revised in May 2023 stateside. So maybe the newest tweaks were not captured/programmed correctly in the service menu.

Same issue here after 2023.32.4 update. Pretty new 6/23 Austin build Model YLR. Just submitted request for service and got mobile service on Oct 3. Kinda leery about driving it. Is anyone seeing any problems driving?

I have zero concerns about driving, I'd need to see an error in the regular user Tesla screen to worry about that. I will wait for the next update to see if the issue is still there. Eventually if the issue persists for many months I'll probably schedule a service appointment.